Posted at 8:25 AM ET, 11/19/2010

Alec Baldwin: Paid to like Wegmans

By Liz Kelly

Update: Thanks to syracuse.com for filling in more details. The woman appearing beside Baldwin in the ads is in fact his mother. And while Baldwin was paid for his cameos, he donated his fees to the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund, an organization that is -- yes -- named after his mom, a breast cancer survivor. -- 3:38 p.m. ET

----

In a career move that is slightly less bizarre than William Shatner's ads for local law firms, Alec Baldwin has popped up in two new commercials for supermarket chain Wegmans. The ads appear to be legit, though Baldwin -- as ever -- delivers lines that seem to be ripped both from the pages of a "30 Rock" script and the mouth of his character, Jack Donaghy.

To promote the store's $6 meal platters (which, to this writer, look as if they've been baking under a high school cafeteria heat lamp for the past decade), Baldwin deadpans, "A healthy, delicious, chef-prepared meal for $6? I can't get a cup of coffee in New York for $6."

In the other ad, Baldwin stands at the bakery counter, taking in the ample array of cakes and pies. "Well I don't want to bother my mother with choosing, so let's just have one of each," he says.

Speaking of his mother, Baldwin mentioned his mom's love of Wegmans on the "Late Show with David Letterman" last May and, according to Consumerist, the ads were shot at the same store at which his mom shops.

So, which came first? The accidental product placement or the ad cameo deal? We may never know.

Source: Consumerist

By Liz Kelly  | November 19, 2010; 8:25 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Celebrity Products
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Tony Parker not surprised by divorce; Lindsay Lohan could lose 'Inferno' role
Next: Just in time for Kelly Preston's new addition, Scientology explains silent birth

Comments

Either way it happened, he's terrific. If he did the commercials then managed to plug them on Letterman-way to double dip! If he mentioned Wegman's on Letterman then was approached by the store to do the commercials--bully for him for doing it! And letting his mom get in on the act. I love it. And I love the way he talked about talking to his mom. I can relate.

Posted by: pras40 | November 19, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Hey now - carm down about Wegmans. They blow the doors off Safeway & Giant.

I go whenever I can - usually on the way back to Rochester or on the way to my parent's place in Richmond.

Posted by: tvolpe | November 19, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I saw that interview on Letterman.It was a while ago. Dave asked him why his Mom hadn't moved out to California to be with her sons. He responded that they had talked to her about it and her answer was, "What...and leave Wegmans?" It was hysterical and seemed like a very spontaneous question and answer.

Posted by: watson20016 | November 19, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Can't see the video from here, but it can't be more bizarre than The Man From U.N.C.L.E. himself, Robert Vaughn, extolling the virtues of a VA law firm - the kind that some might refer to as 'ambulance chasers.'

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2r4GmXrFmI

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 19, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

Hey! Methinks! Hiya. Long time, no see.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 19, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

He delivers his lines as though a crazed donkey-braying Kenneth Ellen Parcell has a rifle trained on him just out of frame

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | November 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheBoreaucrat | November 19, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

"which, to this writer, look as if they've been baking under a high school cafeteria heat lamp for the past decade"

have you even ever been to a wegmans? it is hands down the best. best-run, best selection, best quality, best prices, best atmosphere, best employees. grocery stores all over the country and world come to see it and to copy it. i am glad we have them here.

Posted by: FormerUpstater | November 19, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Hey, no need to go to upstate NY- we have one right here in Fairfax. As for the $6 meals, thumbs up from me!

Posted by: justmike | November 19, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I agree re: the good comments about Wegmans -- it's like Wholefoods, only not as expensive or pretentious.

Posted by: themegnapkin | November 19, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Liz, the Post's own Free Range staff and blog chatters speak well of Wegman's (inter alia) too.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 19, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

When I moved from DC, there were a few things that I really, really missed. Decent postal service. My longtime dentist. And Wegmans.

My husband and his friends are from Central NY. Early on in our courtship we were all hanging out somewhere, and they all started talking in dreamy tones about how much they missed Wegmans (this was before it came to Virginia). I said, "Jeez, it's just a grocery store, what's the big deal?"

Then my husband took me to one of the big ones on a trip to Central NY. I was hooked. Whenever I'm back in DC, I always find excuses to go to the Wegmans near Potomac Mills (near my 'rents house, but sure as hell not the convenient grocery store).

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | November 19, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey there, I have indeed been to Wegmans -- the one out in Fairfax -- and I get the love. Great selection of veggies, Whole Foods type fare and regular old grocery store stuff.

But I wasn't a big fan of the prepared foods -- the vegetarian offerings left a little bit to be desired. Though I have nothing but love for their chocolate eclairs.

Posted by: Lizkel | November 19, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Wegmans just opened in Landover, Maryland and I think that the store is great with all that they have to offer. Watch out Safeway, Giant, Shoppers and Food Lion. I only shop at Safeway and Giant when they have a sale.

Posted by: justmyopinion49 | November 19, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Is that actually his mother in the first commercial? The elderly woman he puts his head against at the end?

Oh and total Wegmans love--now in Maryland, Prince George's County no less!

Posted by: Louise9 | November 19, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Hi Byoolin, thanks for remembering me. Remember the old days when you could steal people's names and wreak havoc on the blog? Sigh. The tiki bar...BKDs? Good ol' Lizard Island.

Posted by: pras40 | November 19, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Hi, methinks! Good to spot your moniker back on Lizard Island.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 19, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

LOVE IT!!

I grew up in Upstate NY and my friends used to tell me how Wegmans was the "Greatest Grocery Store Ever" - and was made fun of relentlessly. As they have expanded out of NY, more and more have experienced the awesomeness and realized how right I was!

-signed Scholarship Winner 1993-1997

Posted by: suzannepdc | November 19, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey all, Wegmans was started in Rochester, NY (my hometown) which makes it a western NY company. Why I say this? Because it gets irritating that we get lumped into "upstate" as if NYS is NYC + everything else. So here it is a major employer and an important part of the local economy. Props to Alec!

This local story says more about the evolution of how Alec came to be a Wegmans spokesperson. http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1844582.shtml?cat=566

Posted by: kvs09 | November 19, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

@kvs09:

Grain of salt, dude. People outside of NY don't realize there's Western, Central and Upstate NY. It's either NYC or it's Upstate. Look at it as a way to keep the riff-raff out. ;)

Okay, I was thinking about it, and I have a new campaign for Wegmans. Get a bunch of people who had to leave the areas that Wegmans serve and have them all say "And Leave Wegmans?"

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | November 19, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I don't know why that bugs me so much. Maybe from multiple times of having to explain to people when I'm traveling (as I am right now) that Buffalo (where I live now) is in fact 7 hours by car from NYC and not some suburb of it! Just sticking up for my home turf I guess!

Posted by: kvs09 | November 19, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@kvs:

Hey - my husband is from the 'Cuse. Understand completely.

We went to the Finger Lakes for our honeymoon (at a B&B near the Bristol ski resort). A friend with some connections in the hotel world heard we were honeymooning in "Upstate NY" and offered to pull some strings and get us rooms at a gorgeous resort "near-by"....in the Adirondacks ;) SO near by...

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | November 19, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse