Posted at 9:06 AM ET, 11/ 1/2010

AMC's 'Walking Dead': Have we found our next 'Lost'?

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney

One of 'Walking Dead's' walking dead. (AMC)
Video: Zombies invade D.C.

Forget vampires. In the land of TV, zombies are king. Dessicated, stinky kings -- but kings nonetheless.

AMC's "The Walking Dead" premiered Sunday night and is already generating major buzz, tearing up Google search trends, generating conversation on Twitter and giving all of us something to talk about on this post-Halloween morning besides the number of Snickers bites we consumed yesterday. (For the record, it was only two!) This bodes well for a show our own Hank Stuever described as "'Lost'-like," a comparison that means the show may be ripe for slavish devotion and endless rehashing. Unless it turns out to be, like, "Flash Forward" or something.

Since we know a thing or two about slavish devotion to "Lost" we thought we'd, ahem, apply our analytical skills to see if "Walking Dead" has what it takes to motivate a loyal audience that will, zombie-like, not only tune in every Sunday, but turn to the Internet on Mondays to dissect the show.

Warning -- if you haven't watched yet -- there are spoilers ahead, so come back after you've seen the first episode.

A whizbang beginning: It's hard to touch "Lost's" opening scene: A man wakes up in a stand of bamboo to realize he's just survived a plane crash, then rushes to the beach to discover the wreckage. In "Walking Dead," we have what amounts to two introductions to the zombie-pocalypse of the show's setting. In the first, a deputy sheriff wanders into a post apocalyptic scene at a gas station where he is confronted with not only wreckage, but carnage -- dead bodies and a pint-sized zombie, who he dispatches with a quick bullet to the head. In the second, which follows a scene that establishes the bond between that deputy sheriff -- Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) -- and his fellow cop, Shane (Jon Bernthal), Grimes awakes in a hospital to a changed world -- one crawling with zombies.

For our money, "Lost's" opening remains the more powerful, only because "The Walking Dead" split its impact by going with two openers designed to basically get us to the same point: Dude lives in a world full of zombies.

A cool story: To oversimplify, "Lost" followed a ragtag band of survivors who encounter both man-made and supernatural hurdles in their quest to get back home. "Walking Dead" seems to be shaping up to follow a band of survivors who first need to a) find each other and b) figure out how to kill all the zombies so they can -- much like the survivors in Stephen King's "The Stand" -- reboot society. Given what we know about Robert Kirkman's comic book, the source material for the series, we're guessing there will be plenty of hurdles, both man-made and supernatural. So, yeah, it passes the cool story test.

Mythology: The pilot didn't even hint at what chain of events led to the zombiefication of America. And is continental America the only place that's been zombiefied or is the rest of the world similarly overrun with the undead? The jury is still out. Then again, when our "Losties" first landed on the island, we had no idea what the showrunners had in store in the form of a rich back-story and hyper-literate mythology. The point is that "The Walking Dead" writers seem to want to maintain some mystery. And we like that.

Relationships: We spent the first 90 minutes mostly with sheriff's deputy Rick Grimes -- our Jack Shephard, if you will. He's fighting to find his family who he believes is still alive. Turns out he's right, but his wife is now with his former partner, Shane. And when we say with, we mean there's kissing involved. This could get interesting. We also spent some time in the pilot with a father and son duo -- Morgan (Lennie James) and Duane (Adrian Kali Turner) -- whose loss of the mother figure in their family reminded us a little of "Lost's" Michael and Walt. And you know how we loved Michael and Walt. Well, until Michael got all murdery.

Upending tropes to heighten the tension "Lost" took what we thought we knew about island castaway stories and forced us to rethink the genre: what if the happy ending doesn't involve the rescue of our heroes? By bringing the zombie tale to television, "The Walking Dead" also forces us into a different mindset. When we're watching most zombie movies, we assume that, by the end, the zombies will have been defeated, or that we'll see at least some measure of hope for a brighter, non-brain-consuming future. But adapt that tale for TV -- when series can last for multiple seasons -- and the stakes are raised. Hey, this whole zombie lifestyle could last ... forever.

And that's what could make "Walking Dead" a chilling show that keeps us coming back week after week: the very real sense that the world can go completely mad, and stay that way for good.

Related:
A look at the 'Walking Dead' preview
As promised, 'Walking Dead' zombies invade D.C.

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney  | November 1, 2010; 9:06 AM ET
Categories:  Lost, TV  | Tags:  Walking Dead
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Five tracks for your Halloween playlist
Next: Zach Galifianakis smokes pot on 'Bill Maher Show'; Ron Howard says gay joke will stay in 'Dilemma'

Comments

It was ... OK. Waiting to see if there is anything new. The usual way these stories go is zombies bad, humans worse.

Posted by: pirate1 | November 1, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Apparently this reviewer never read the books. It is only Lostish in the filming which really equalled ... boring. I have a feeling of being underwhelmed.

Posted by: applehunter72 | November 1, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"HURTLES"???

Once is a typo and editorial oversight.

Twice is a lack of proper spelling.

I only say this because this is a NEWSPAPER and you're supposed to be able to.

No wonder the extremist wingnuts are getting away w/ it. There's nobody left w/ the credibility to effectively (and easily) challenge them.

I know. Just a 'Celebritology' article, but just saying...

Posted by: ButzBestSkinEver | November 1, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey Walking Dead fans! Check out this video of The Walking Dead panel from New York Comic Con 2010 to tide you over until next week's episode! Courtesy of PanelsOnPages.com!

Posted by: deadmanwokiN | November 1, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

I agree with the other poster: it was just okay. I guess there was no way to live up to all that hype.

And while I understand this storyline was written pretty much at the same time as 28 Days Later, having the main character awaken from a coma alone in a hospital after a zombie outbreak seemed as stale as some of the corpses.

I also felt badly for the horse.

Posted by: sarahabc | November 1, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I agree with sarahabc about the horse. I had had a heads up about that from another source and so switched channels for a minute. Yeah, I know it's fiction but still I can't watch an animal get hurt. Human mayhem doesn't faze me at all, sadly, because I just expect it.

I cannot see this show unfolding with the emotional depth and mystery of LOST. I'll stick with it for a while to see, though.

Posted by: pirate1 | November 1, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I"m w/pirate1, don't see this becoming as all-encompassing as Lost was, not for me anyway.

When he woke up & started pulling off his IV & stuff all I could think was "What about a catheter & colostomy bags?"

I don't know why it bugs me & I know they can't really show all that stuff because they only have an hour or so & some of it is a little too ewwwy even for cable, but they never show people coming out of a coma with the billion tubes & wires they'd really have attached to them. Not to mention that the dude probably wouldn't be able to stand upright.

And he was wearing underwear!! IN A COMA!! WHO PUTS UNDERWEAR ON A COMA PATIENT?! Really prudish ICU nurses? At least 28 Days got that much right!

Anyhoo...I'll keep watching, probably watch On Demand mostly, but I'm interested.

Posted by: wadejg | November 1, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

DC is the nerdiest town I've ever lived in. Can't you just have fun with the scary zombie show?

Posted by: logan9 | November 4, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I was also totally expecting an overflowing bag of pee, but I can see why they didn't bother.

Posted by: whatrocks9 | November 5, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse