Posted at 12:10 AM ET, 11/ 3/2010

George W. Bush still mad at Kanye West

By Jen Chaney

Remember this moment from the Hurricane Katrina telethon, when Kanye West accused George W. Bush of not caring about black people and Mike Myers looked more embarrassed than he did after "The Cat in the Hat" premiere?

Apparently that was the worst moment of George W. Bush's presidency.

This information will reportedly be revealed in an interview with Matt Lauer that will air Monday on NBC, part of the former commander in chief's efforts to promote his new memoir.

As Entertainment Weekly reports, Lauer reads Bush's written words back to him during the exchange: "‘I faced a lot of criticism as President. I didn’t like hearing people claim that I lied about Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction or cut taxes to benefit the rich. But the suggestion that I was racist because of the response to Katrina represented an all-time low."

Bush says: "Yeah. I still feel that way as you read those words. I felt ‘em when I heard ‘em, felt ‘em when I wrote ‘em and I felt ‘em when I’m listening to ‘em."

And later:

Lauer: “I wonder if some people are going to read that, now that you’ve written it, and they might give you some heat for that. And the reason is this — “

Bush: “Don’t care.”

Lauer: “Well, here’s the reason. You’re not saying that the worst moment in your presidency was watching the misery in Louisiana. You’re saying it was when someone insulted you because of that.”

Bush: “No, and I also make it clear that the misery in Louisiana affected me deeply as well. There’s a lot of tough moments in the book. And it was a disgusting moment, pure and simple.”

So to recap: being insulted by Kanye West -- a guy who, God love him, regularly insults the intelligence of thousands of Internet users via his Twitter account -- is a lower low than messing up that whole weapons of mass destruction thing and living with the knowledge that nearly 2,000 people died in the hurricane that prompted West's Bush blasting.

Good to know.

By Jen Chaney  | November 3, 2010; 12:10 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rumor Mill: Miley Cyrus's mom had an affair with Bret Michaels
Next: Randy and Evi Quaid miss court date (again); Brad Pitt to play mob boss in 'Cogan's Trade'

Comments

heheh
yep... good to know

and people wonder why i've embraced dadaism in politics

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | November 3, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

What can you say about a creature known as that moron w?

Posted by: letemhaveit | November 3, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, accusations of "racism" are hurtful to people who aren't racist.

Actual racists quite simply don't care.

So accusing people of racism is something you want to do carefully, because if you're right, nobody cares, if you're wrong, you hurt the wrong people.

Posted by: ZZim | November 3, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and I was just starting to soften towards the man; to think, perhaps, that I had been too harsh on him. Thanks for the reality check, Dubya! /facepalm

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | November 3, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

W looks like an idiot once again. This memoir is not helping.

Thanks for the Kanye West / Mike Myers video. Hilarious. West may actually be dumber than Bush. Myers should have just shoved him off the stage.

Posted by: Chigliak | November 3, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Well, I knew I could count on WaPo for snide twaddle after the election. Good job.

How are those textbook sales coming along?

Posted by: FrancisMacomber | November 3, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Are you really that stupid? His comment had little to do with Kanye West. He was saying that it was worst for him to be called a racist than a lyer. The only idiotic thing about this article isn't Bush's comments but your inablility as "fluff" journalist to see what the real story is.

Posted by: rredding2 | November 3, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

What a ridiculously stupid article. Seriously. Can I have the last two minutes of my life back? You obviously look for reasons to mock President Bush, and your stretching this in to one of those reasons speaks volumes about your bias and smallness and lack of any journalistic credibility than it does about President Bush.

Posted by: HardlyEverComments | November 3, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

As much as I wish the G. W. Bush presidency had never happened, I can see where he's coming from on this. It's one thing to screw up majorly - you can rationalize that by telling yourself you did the best you could, nobody could have known what would happen, etc. It's something else to have your motives questioned, or to be (falsely, as Bush believes) accused of racism. It doesn't have anything to do with the magnitude of the harm, it has to do with feeling misunderstood.

Posted by: themegnapkin | November 3, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Let's be honest: Bush has the substance of Mylar film.

Posted by: gkam | November 3, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

wait, I read that about four times. Where explicitly does he acknowledge Kanye's statement as the single moment that upset him?

Posted by: tylerjeffries | November 3, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bawlmer51

= = = = = = = = = =

So Bawlmer, are you saying you would have had a better opinion of Mr. Bush if he said that accusations of racism had no effect on him?

Posted by: ZZim | November 3, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of GWB, but your interpretation of his comments (and Matt Lauer's) is a misrepresentation of what he said. He said he faced a lot of criticism and that was an all time low. It was the lowest criticism, not the lowest point of his presidency. He's only talking about criticism he received. Then Matt claimed he was saying that was the worst moment of his presidency and Bush right away said no. Meaning that is not what he's saying. And it's pretty clear that's not what he said.

Posted by: blar72 | November 3, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

The fact that allegations of racism from a dope like Kanye West is more concerning to him than boning up WMDs and sending troops to Iraq? More than 4,400 of whom have died?

Yes. I would have a much better opinion of him if that were the case.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | November 3, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse