Posted at 8:54 AM ET, 11/ 5/2010

Remember, remember the fifth of November: Two reasons to celebrate

By Jen Chaney

It's Nov. 5, a date of high significance that pop culture courteously makes sure we won't forget.

In Great Britain, of course, it's Guy Fawkes Day, an annual occasion that celebrates the day in 1605 when the assassination plot of King James I was foiled and a man by the name of Fawkes was arrested for his role in the effort. It's also a great excuse for Londoners to set off fireworks and for the rest of us to either read an Alan Moore comic book series or watch the movie adaptation of said comic series: "V for Vendetta," an underrated 2006 film starring one of this year's Osar-buzziest ladies, Natalie Portman.

Then there's that other really important thing that happened on Nov. 5 -- specifically, Nov. 5, 1955, the day that Doc Emmett Brown slipped, hit his head and invented the flux capacitor, which is what makes time travel possible. We owe him an immense debt of gratitude. Without Brown's contribution, we couldn't have spent half of last week debating this viral video. And AMC Theatres certainly wouldn't be showing "Back to the Future" again in a handful of theaters tomorrow in honor of the occasion ... well, that, and the fact that there's clearly more money to be made from slapping the Robert Zemeckis classic onto the big screen again for the third time in two weeks.

So remember, remember the fifth of November. Or just watch a couple of great movies that happen to deal with the fifth of November. Whatever works for you.

By Jen Chaney  | November 5, 2010; 8:54 AM ET
Categories:  Movies, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Engaged: LeAnn Rimes and Eddie Cibrian; Nick Lachey and Vanessa Minnello
Next: William Shatner beats Gwyneth Paltrow to the '[Expletive] You' punch

Comments

Under-rated? V For Vendetta is a nearly unwatchable incoherent mess. If it weren't for a sexy bald Natalie Portman, I wouldn't have even tried.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 5, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

yellojkt,
I have not commented in months, but as soon as I saw V and under rated in the same sentence I just had to comment - and then you beat me to it.
V was one of the worst "things" ever put on film. I love Natalie Portman, but that was one terrible, horrible, mess of a movie.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | November 5, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Really? I did not find it unwatchable or incoherent at all. Maybe I was in an incendiary mood at the time. Although I did see it twice...

Posted by: Jen Chaney | November 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

anytime you lob a film out there that suggests that terrorism might be justified you're going to make a lot of people uncomfortable. it wasnt a genius film - the comic is better (and with a different message to be honest) but imo, if anything, it's underrated.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | November 5, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse