Posted at 11:42 AM ET, 11/24/2010

Thanksgiving: Gwyneth Paltrow's back with more GOOPy tips

By Liz Kelly

Gwyneth suggest's weelicious.com's brussel sprouts with lemon and poppy seeds. (Photo courtesy GOOP.com)

Gwyneth Paltrow breezily sent out this week's GOOP newsletter, which is just bursting with tips for creating an idyllic Thanksgiving, on Wednesday morning -- "a day early to give us time to brine the turkey and make preparations," she writes.

And although I've warmed to Gwyneth and agree with Jen that maybe we, as a community of celebrity watchers, need to ease up on the insouciant one, well, today's newsletter seems to have come from the old, snooty Gwyneth. The Gwyneth who forgets that she lives in a bubble of privilege (though well-earned, I'm sure) where turkeys are magically brined in a delightful mixture of star anise and cloves and we glide to the dinner table in our newest Stella McCartney frock and no one ever has to fight the traffic in the Whole Foods parking lot.

The Gwyneth who would -- and did -- write in her most queenly demeanor: "I am grateful for all of you, my GOOP readers."

Well, Gwynnie, we may not all be as carefree and regal as you a mere 24 hours before cooking mass quantities of food for people who likely will pass up the Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Lemon & Poppy Seeds to go straight for Aunt Margie's Sweet Potato/Marshmallow Surprise. But thanks for the recipe. We'll try sometime in the future when the kitchen isn't at DEF-CON 4.

I am thankful for one thing: the fact that you remain blissfully disconnected from the real world. It provides great fodder for blog posts, that.

Source: GOOP

More:
Celebrity Thanksgiving recipes: Overeat like the stars

By Liz Kelly  | November 24, 2010; 11:42 AM ET
Categories:  Insouciance  | Tags:  Gwyneth Paltrow
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jennifer Jason Leigh files for divorce; 'Glee' wants Katie Couric for Super Bowl episode
Next: Kanye West defends Bush, thanks models, pleads ignorance of illuminati

Comments

Liz, I'm not as convinced as you that the insouciant one has changed her insouciant spots. Certainly her blog post lends credence to the fact that she has not.
And why should she? She sings on the CMAs (or whatever), she guest stars on 'Glee' (or whatever), makes movies, wears cool clothes, writes blogs,is married to the Coldplay guy (that's kind of cool even if you don't dig Coldplay), and cooks dinner with Mario Balali (okay so that's not as cool).
She is what she is, the product of her upbringing and the life she leads now. I think it's your duty to call her out from time to time, even if your dislike has tempered. So thank you. I appreciate you doing your duty as a Celebritologist.
How do you feel about Dianne Keaton?

Posted by: pras40 | November 24, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Aww, thanks pras. Your comment just made my day.

As for that Diane Keaton, well, I think you know.

Posted by: Liz Kelly | November 24, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Brussels sprouts? Ick. Nast.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 24, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

A couple of hours after she eats her Brussel Sprouts dish, the Insouciant One will be known as Gwynnie the Poot!!

Phew!!!!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 24, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Liz? I am not insouciant, and I love a good Vienna Inn chili dog as much as I do a gourmet meal. But I do enjoy cooking, and have an account at Penzey's. So I have both Star Anise (whole and broken), and cloves in my spice cabinet right now. And for the record: those brussel sprouts sound tastier to me than sweet potato/mashed potato surprise.

I have always been one to think that Gwynnie needs to perhaps remember she is not of the simple folk. And that her suggestions are only practical for, like, 2% of the American population.

But with the exception of her crazier dietary fads or limitation issues, her "EAT" GOOP's have actually presented some recipes I'd actually make - including these today. If I bothered brining turkey (I just don't have the 'fridge space), that looks like one I might try. (Instead, I just use this seasoning - http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyssingapore.html )

Liking different taste combinations doesn't make you insouciant. It just means you're open to trying different things.

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | November 24, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

My turkey is soaking in a maple brine recipe I found on washingtonpost.com's Food section. Does that make me insouciant? Canadian? Or both?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | November 24, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Gee, what incredible insouciance, thanking her readers. You need to lighten up a bit more, Liz, even if you do pass on the Little Green Balls of Death.

Posted by: kabuki3 | November 24, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I've been dry brining my turkey for three days a la Judy Rodgers of Zuni Cafe--yum yum yum. (LA Times recipe)

That sprout recipe actually sounds pretty good--I like them chopped up and lightly fried until slightly crispy.

Wishing all fellow islanders a happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 24, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

sasquatch:

If you're in anywhere but Quebec, you're insouciant. If you're Québécois, you're however they say "insouciant" in Québécois French. And if you're Canadian, well, you're celebrating Thanksgiving a month late.

sorcerers_cat:

Cook one or two pieces of bacon, saute the brussel sprouts in that, then squeeze a lemon over ;)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | November 24, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Chas, that sounds great. Whole sprouts or chopped?

Hubby had a tooth pulled the other day so our T-giving green veg is a broccoli/spinach puree this year.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | November 24, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Chasmo, I think "insouciant" comes from the French, as "souci" means care.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | November 24, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Nosy_Parker:

It's a joke. "Insouciant" *is* a French word that worked its' way into English.

sorcerer:

Whichever way you prefer. My mother preferred the "Little Green Balls of Death" as noted above, but I'm sure chopped would work, too. And she made it any old time, not just Thanksgiving :)

Posted by: Chasmosaur1 | November 24, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

i everything want you see go to ready love you keep yourself said hot sex 90 vh1 joy watkins pokemon red and blue versions nintendo gameboy pikachu mewtwo charizard and jigglypuff.

Posted by: demonterius | November 25, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse