Posted at 1:52 PM ET, 11/ 8/2010

The Jackson family opens up to Oprah

By Liz Kelly

Even in death, Michael Jackson's life remains surreal. Case in point: Monday's Jackson family revelations, courtesy of Oprah. And, courtesy of E! Online, a few highlights from the show -- which airs at 4 p.m. in the D.C. market.

The interviews were taped weeks ago when Winfrey paid a visit to the Jackson clan at their Encino, Calif., compound. But, Oprah being Oprah, she managed to grab a few scoops:

Katherine Jackson admits that Michael was addicted to plastic surgery. In addition to coming clean about his nose jobs -- she confirms he had more than two -- she addresses his skin lightening:

"He didn't want to start looking 'like a spotted cow,' he said," Katherine explained of [Jackson's] multiple skin surgeries to treat his vitiligo. "I don't know what in the world he did to change that, but he did."

Katherine talks candidly about her son's death and Dr. Conrad Murray's involvement:

"I can't accuse him of murder, I don't know if it was accidentally done or it was intentionally done. I don't want to get into that, but I have my thoughts. ... I don't think I'll ever, ever be healed. ... It hurts."

Joe Jackson basically admits to beating Michael (and his other children) in this exchange:

"I don't think he was afraid of me," Joe began. "I never beat him. That never happened."

"You might as well admit it, that's the way black people raised their children," Katherine interjected. "He used a strap."

"I don't [regret the beatings]," Joe said. "It kept them out of jail and kept them right."

Paris, Prince Michael and Blanket are trotted out to talk about their dad. The two older children are now enrolled in regular school, though Blanket remains home schooled. Paris still insists that her dad was pretty awesome.

"I kinda felt like no one understands what a good father he was. I'd say he was the best cook ever. He was just a normal dad, except he was the best dad. He made the best French toast in the world."

Source: E! Online

By Liz Kelly  | November 8, 2010; 1:52 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Michael Jackson, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Conan O'Brien should not do during the debut of 'Conan' on TBS
Next: Fashion statement: Diane Keaton actually looks just fine

Comments

Man, this family just can't stop exploiting Michael can they? Stop talking about him, trotting out his kids for photo ops, etc. RIP stands for Rest in Peace. Let him already.

Get a job Joe.

Posted by: epjd | November 8, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Oprah is just as good at exploiting Michael as anyone. Her exclusive interview with Michael at Neverland (and special apperance by Liz Taylor) was her first 'get.' After that, she had more respectable, better, bigger guests rather than Jerry Springer-types.

Oprah has done a lot of good, but she's done a lot of good for herself first. For example, when Michael passed there were a lot of tributes. Her 'tribute' was an edited rehash of that interview with Michael which she timed to air in the 1st week of her new season.

And she doesn't hesitate to exploit Michael's children - I'd like to know her rules of ethics.

Posted by: ligaya | November 8, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

There is no end to the lenghts that Oprah will go to make money. It's basically child abuse to interview these kids on tv. The excuse that somebody else will do isn't an excuse. I guess it's common for someone who is abused to become and abuser.

Posted by: xddregan | November 8, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Every Oprah interview is about Oprah. When's she having the Lohan family on?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | November 8, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Oprah is out to make money. But if the FAMILY acted like decent human beings, they wouldn't be available for her to exploit. If Katherine Jackson took her job as guardian of those children seriously, Oprah's ethics on interviewing kids would not matter.

Posted by: epjd | November 8, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I watched it and thought it was fine. I think it may have been good for them in the "we really are normal kids" kind of a way. They have to deal with what the public thinks of them for the rest of their lives, so maybe this was their way of making life easier: just to go on TV and talk about their dog, their school, their friends, how much they miss their dad's French toast, etc.

Posted by: sarahabc | November 8, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

It's possible that an interview with a person they trust was helpful in the grief process for Katherine and the children.

The children in particular may have a need to talk about their father in public, as I'm sure they've been hurt by the public criticisms of their father that were/are based on cruelty alone.

And finally getting a confession out of the brutally abusive Joe after he called those children's father and their Aunts and Uncles liars in public all these years was, in my opinion, a very important aspect of the interview for the family.

Posted by: jdVA | November 8, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't a fan of the man, but like many others after he died I started asking questions about who Michael Jackson was.

Like most of us, I believed, even though I didn't think I did, all the horrific stuff I had taken in for years about him.

Notwithstanding the staggering charitable contribution Jackson made, much of it in private, after reading about the cases -- much serious research exists if you look for it -- and looking at the extent of collusion between original lawyer from 1993 and family of the accusers in 2005, as well as the clear extortion of Evan Chandler in 1993 -- I was shocked.

I now realize I was wrong about Michael Jackson. And it has made question a lot of other 'truths' I accept as self-evident.

I sincerely hope as Michael's children grow into the teenagers they are becoming, that those journalists and accusers who surely 'murdered' their father more intentionally than Dr Murray -- will look them in the face and apologize for what they did to their father.

They will deserve that-- at the very least.

Posted by: Matt63 | November 8, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ligaya | November 8, 2010 11:25 PM | Report abuse

""He didn't want to start looking 'like a spotted cow,' he said," Katherine explained of [Jackson's] multiple skin surgeries to treat his vitiligo."

She also went on to say he treated only his exposed areas, and under his clothes remained spotted with vitiligo.

The media owes this family a huge apology for helping to destroy MJ and his importance to the black community by incessantly claiming he "wanted to be white."

Posted by: BGard | November 9, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I think the interview was a good one and that it shows how the investigation into Michaels death went and how the Doctor will probably get away with it because it all goes beyond just the Doctor. Michael was not meant to go on that tour and they made sure of it. There are too many people like Michael who mysteriously die under strange circumstances and it is all hidden by someone higher up. It happens everyday and no one notices. I would want nothing more than to talk to someone in Michaels family about my own thoughts on it all. I personally know of someone going thru the same scenerio, somewhat, and he is constantly followed, illegally serveilanced, and even get some of the people you may know to go against you and work on their end for whatever reason they may say, even if it is not true. Your everymove is watched and you have fears of playing anywhere, eating anywhere, or even just visiting friends, for one day that very friend may be taking info for them against you whether the reasinging is true or not.

Posted by: jameswells65 | November 9, 2010 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Oprah should have asked Mrs. Jackson about all the truly wonderful things Michael did to help thousands upon thousands of people around the world. There was no mention of his unprecedented charitable and humanitarian work. That he donated over $300 Million to charity throughout his life and left 20% of his estate to charity. No, all Oprah wanted to do was rehash all the hurtful tabloid stuff that Michael was tortured with throughout his life. It's so sad that even in his death, people like Oprah persist in hurting Michael. It was evident, however, that as most people know, Michael and his mother had a very special and loving relationship. It was also evident that Michael was an amazing father as his children are truly something to be proud of. And for those who didn't see it, when Oprah asked the kids what they miss most about their father, Paris, with the most sweet, sad, serious look, said EVERYTHING.

Posted by: pina3 | November 12, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse