Posted at 1:59 PM ET, 11/11/2010

'The Simpsons': Will it ever end? Should it?

By Jen Chaney

"The Simpsons": signed up for another season. (Fox via AP)

As New York Magazine reported this morning, "The Simpsons" has been renewed for a 23rd season, a move that will bring the total number of episodes to 515 and more than cement the show's status as one of the longest primetime series of all time.

Of course, for longtime fans of the residents of Springfield, [Redacted], this news provides yet another opportunity to debate whether it's wise for the show to continue. Does "The Simpsons" deliver enough smart satire and inspired slapstick to merit its perpetual renewal? Or have Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie become animation's version of the Rolling Stones, an act that doesn't know when it's time to quit?

Here at Celebritology, we err on the side of keep it going. Of course the show doesn't crank out consistently, non-stop hilarious episodes the way it did during its golden years (see seasons four through six). But it still touches enough cultural nerves to remain relevant and hilarious -- albeit not at, say, "Marge. vs. the Monorail" levels but still.

Consider this year's "Treehouse of Horror" episode, which served up a "Twilight"/"Harry Potter" combo platter:

Or that Banksy opening from earlier this year that became a mini-viral Web phenom:

"The Simpsons" is part of the American fabric. It's right up there with baseball and Bruce Springsteen as a durable symbol of the U.S. of A. I mean, for God's sake, look how patriotic Homer is:

So we say keep "The Simpsons" on cruise control until it hits its 25th season, then call it quits. But what do you say? Cast a vote in the poll below or post a comment and weigh in on whether more of "The Simpsons" is either excellent or the Worst. Idea. Ever.

By Jen Chaney  | November 11, 2010; 1:59 PM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pop Quiz: Guess the starlet
Next: Former Miss California Carrie Prejean expecting first baby; First 'Deathly Hallows' reviews roll in

Comments

I don't care if it is renewed forever. I don't think it is funny, the drawing is amateurish, and I never watch it.

Posted by: janye1 | November 11, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Renew! It's Hilarious, the animation is fantastic (see Banksy), and I watch it whenever I can.

Posted by: vigor | November 11, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

The show is about 15 years past due for retirement. Are Bart and Lisa still in grade school? They should have their own kids by now.

Posted by: forgetthis | November 11, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm confused, So "The Simpson's has been renewed for a 23rd season, a move that will bring the total number of episodes to 515 and more than cement the show's status as one of the longest primetime series of all time." But the Ed Sullivan Show ran for 24 seasons and had 1068 episodes, at this rate The Simpson's could run another 23 season and still not match the number of episodes of The Ed Sullivan Show. Gunsmoke ran 20 years and had 635 episodes... In a time-shifting universe number of episodes is a far better barometer of longevity than years a show was produced. Obviously The Simpson's is lasting as long as it has on regurgitated episodes. Perhaps that makes it cost effective to leave it on the air like old reruns of Seinfeld.

Posted by: David-F-NYC | November 11, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

The Simpsons should NOT be considered one show that's lasted 23 years. It should be considered 2 shows.

The original was funny, witty, heart-felt, well-written and one of the best shows on TV. That show ended in the late 90s.

The successor is an in-your-face, ow-my-balls, slapstick, self-aware turd of a show that only serves to soil the memory of the great original show. I wonder how many guest "stars" they'll cram into season 23? Then again, I don't care. Every 6 months or so when I accidentally stumble on a new show, it takes me only minutes to remember exactly why this sellout should have been put out of its misery long ago.

Posted by: ArlingtonHokie | November 11, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I think the best satire in cartoon form these days is on "American Dad."

Posted by: buffysummers | November 11, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I love the Simpsons!
Especially Mr. Burns.

Posted by: lindalovejones | November 11, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Must keep the Simpsons and Mr. Burns on the Air!

For once we have a solid show where nobody's going to grow up or grow away.

It has all great characters, it's ageless, funny, and above all, I love Mr. Burns!

Must keep the Simpsons running.

I always love fresh new shows too, and we won't get that if the writers stop writing.

Now, release the hounds.

Posted by: lindalovejones | November 11, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

It's the lone liberal voice on a Teabagger media empire.

[annoyed grunt]

Posted by: bs2004 | November 11, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: David-F-NYC
------------------------------
No need for the confusion Davey Boy....No where in the article did it say the Simpson was THE longest primetime show of all time as your post seems to think. It did say the show was ONE OF the longest. So there is nothing at all confusing about that.

Posted by: 6thsense79 | November 11, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: David-F-NYC

****

That's not "time-shifting," that's "definition-of-the word-'longevity'-shifting."

Without knocking either Ed Sullivan nor Gunsmoke - I'm old enough to remember both - where they surpass The Simpsons is in quantity of episodes, *not* in the show's longevity.

If I may demonstrate by way of analogy: the fat kid on Two And A Half Men has appeared on tv far more often than I have, but that does not make him older than me.

Posted by: byoolin1 | November 11, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

The Simpsons is my religion. I would die inside if it were ever cancelled.

Posted by: anarcho-liberal-tarian | November 11, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

I liked it when it was a 30 second snippet, between skits, on the Tracey Ulman show. Haven't watched it since.

Posted by: Bebunk | November 11, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

If 24 can be cancelled, and it was the best drama Fox ever had, than the Simpsons can be cancelled.

Posted by: noups | November 11, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I don't care...I don't watch it. Fox lowers the bar when it comes to intelligent TV watching.

Posted by: mortified469 | November 11, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

There are far too many celebrity appearances in The Simpsons, and way too many gooey "hugging and learning" moments---Thank you, Larry David, for keeping that sentimental crap out of Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm---but Brooks and Groening still outdo their competition by light years. And whatever might replace it would be infinitely worse.

Posted by: andym108 | November 11, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

release the hounds smithers

Posted by: kennybanya | November 11, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

It is hard to believe that all these folks comment on a useless tv show such as the Simpsons. They've insulted almost every nation possible, and its not all that great a show. I'm embarrassed that countries outside of the USA actually see this, and think this is what we are all about. BUT THIS IS NOT a representation of Americans, at least, I pray its not. Its really terrible.

Posted by: LyndaLBD | November 11, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

LyndaLBD, uh, you do realized that you yourself just commented on "a useless tv show such as the Simpsons," right?

Posted by: taonima2000 | November 11, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Fox stands for repulsive comedy, be it the Simpsons or their talking heads. Both have lead to a dumber America. Does that mean that Fox is anti-American? Just asking.

Posted by: pjohn2 | November 11, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

The Simpsons are certainly past their prime, but they are better than most other shows on network TV. The other animated series are lame in comparison. So why not keep going?

Posted by: Delongl | November 11, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse