Posted at 10:02 AM ET, 12/ 9/2010

Howard Stern to stick with SiriusXM for five more years

By Liz Kelly

Howard Stern. (AP)

Fans of fart jokes and stripper quiz shows, rejoice: The world's last remaining shock jock, Howard Stern, has re-upped with SiriusXM to remain on the air -- the satellite air, that is -- for the next five years.

"I came to the conclusion after speaking to everyone that the real innovators and the real geniuses are the people here, that our home should be at Sirius satellite radio," said Stern on his Thursday morning show. "My answer is that I will be here for the next five years."

Earlier this week, it was rumored that Stern was close to a $600 million deal to jump ship and take his eclectic show to iTunes. But, as TheWrap.com reported, Stern seemed like an unlikely fit for the notoriously conservative Apple. According to the Associated Press, Stern had been "locked for months in stormy negotiations" as his original five-year deal neared expiration.

Stern's decision to remain on the air will doubtless ease the fears of celebs like David Arquette who, without Stern, would be severely limited in finding a broadcast forum in which to divulge their intimate marital details. Also relieved: Second banana Robin Quivers, the host of misfits that make up Stern's band of regular drop-in characters and the never-ending supply of women willing to take their tops off in the studio.

As part of the new deal, Stern also announced that his show will be available "on any mobile device."

Sources: The Associated Press, MTV.com

By Liz Kelly  | December 9, 2010; 10:02 AM ET
Categories:  Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Oprah breaks down in Barbara Walters interview; ' Blue Valentine' wins R rating
Next: Why Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp may not be enough to save 'The Tourist'

Comments

Meeee-owww Liz! A little jealous, are we? I for one am incredibly glad Howard will be staying on the air. If you'd actually listened to his show, you'd know that no one in any media genre is a better interviewer than the King of All Media.

Posted by: AllieR1 | December 9, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Do you ever actually listen to his show, Liz? It is soooo much more than strippers and fart jokes. The Billy Joel interview three weeks ago was past fantastic.
I ,for one, am THRILLED that he and his band of characters will be on the air for five more years.

Posted by: jiboo | December 9, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

As the people rejoice, Artie Lang's liver is scmewhere screaming for help...

Posted by: ozpunk | December 9, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Ditto to these comments. Howard Stern is pretty much the only reason Sirius XM is still around. I'm sure they've have and will spend $1.1 billion solely for a guy who plays fart sounds...gimme a break, Liz. And, yes, Howard does have celebrities like David Arquette that will randomly call in to the show or even sit in during a show, not to promote a product or movie, but just because they enjoy it. I think that is impressive.

Posted by: jtest | December 9, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that was petty Liz. Even if you don't like the devil you have to give him his due. Howard Stern revolutionized radio and has become an icon. If you think he's so common check out the minions of imitators who have fallen by the wayside over the years. Like him or not he's a true American original.

Posted by: nvamikeyo | December 9, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I for one am so glad Howard re-signed with Sirius! His show is great, and it'll be a pleasure to listen to Robin, Fred, Benji, Gary, Sal and Richard for the next five years. BTW, Howard is the best interviewer we have today. Celebrities open up to him because he's real, there's no difference between what he would ask them on-air and off-air.

Hey now, and a big baba booey to you all!

Posted by: asfan1989 | December 9, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

i have a lifetime subscription to xm but will never pay to listen to stern or even listen for free. his time was up for me when i turned 16.

Posted by: astroman215aolcom | December 9, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: astroman215aolcom | December 9, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I echo the comments of astroman215aolcom. I stopped listening to Stern when he left DC 101 and I was a teenager.
His schtick is old and tired, but the slow witted masses also like anything they can absorb with no brainpower use.

Posted by: tplum2 | December 9, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Pure Joy! I am thrilled that I will have Howard in the morning for 5 more years.

Haters change the dial.

Posted by: jdechris | December 9, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I just bought a car having Sirius XM. How can I find Howard Stern?

Posted by: pluffmud | December 9, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly, get a life. Sure Howard is crude and loves sophmoric humor, and so do I. What should never be lost with Howard, and where he never gets credit from people like Liz Kelly, is that he is one of the best interviewers, if not the best, out there. His recent inteview with Billy Joel -- over 90 minutes -- had me locked in my car. I couldn't tear myself away, and Howard wasn't asking about Billy's penis size. Furthermore, I probably listened to that interview another 2-3 times via replay throughout the week. Same with Paul McCartney or any major celebrity willing to sit down with him. What is really telling, is that the people he interviews will say Howard is the best interviewer. I'm going to re-up my Sirius subscription because Howard has re-upped.

Posted by: DCBoudin | December 9, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

It's clear you don't listen to Howard. He's the best! Hands down. Smart, witty and the BEST interviewer along with Terry Gross. After getting my news update from NPR in the AM, I switch to Howard for the ride to work and arrive happy every day. That's what matters. For the record, I'm an educated, professional woman. There are a lot of us out here. Howard signing is the best Christmas Present I could get!

Posted by: lennielogan | December 9, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Yawn.

Sad how he made fun of the National Airlines tragedy.

I always thought the Greasman was better. More intellectual. Yes, he made a joke in bad taste and the black community got on his case, even though he had a black engineer and a black sales woman how continued to stick by him through thick and thin.

Imus got off light that way.

Stern's best talent is speaking the truth. He is the Simon Cowell of radio. Wish I had his bank account though!

Posted by: steven09 | December 9, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Great news. Don't be so short-sighted, Liz. Howard, as many have mentioned, is a fantastic interviewer. Billy Joel (90minutes of singing and story-telling), Jay-Z, and on and on. And what's wrong with fart jokes and stripper quiz shows? Anyone who gets their "intellectual fix" from the radio is full of pretense. You want intellectualism, read Proust. You want entertainment, listen to Stern.

The Greaseman was better? Really? Alright, man.

Posted by: EGTuna | December 9, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

The Greaseman tried and failed at syndication. He was a flop outside of the DC area.

Stern's show has adapted (some may even say evolved) over the years. His angry outbursts are fewer, but he still knows how to make his listeners laugh.

Posted by: PhilThijou | December 9, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

How this guy got to be Anna Nicole's doctor, I'll never know.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 9, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

So Liz, did you intend to insult us Stern fans or what? So very happy Howard is sticking around. My morning drive to work would suck so bad without him.

Posted by: shelley514 | December 14, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse