Posted at 12:49 PM ET, 12/ 8/2010

Man changes his name to 'Captain Awesome': What would you choose?

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney

Oregon native Douglas Allen Smith Jr. officially changed his name to "Captain Awesome" last month. The inspiration, of course, comes from the brother-in-law of one Chuck Bartowski, aka TV's "Chuck," who is fortunate enough to be related to the cardiologist and champion of all things awesome.

According to Oregon's Register-Guard, "Captain" is the former Smith's official new first name while "Awesome" is the surname; in a recent interview, he introduced himself by saying, "Hi! I'm Captain." The out-of-work cabinet installer also officially changed his signature to a smiley face.

Actor Ryan McPartlin, "Chuck's" Captain Awesome:

This got Jen and I thinking about what fictitious names we'd assume if, like Awesome, we ever feel a need to take on new identities based on pop culture characters. Correction: when we feel a need to take on new identities based on pop culture characters.

We'll share our choices after the jump, but ask that you do the same in comments. Give us the character, his or her provenance and why you'd assume the name.

Homer as Lance Uppercut/Rock Strongo. (Fox)

Liz's picks:

1. Rock Strongo: Okay, so an odd name for a girl, but this "Simpsons"-inspired moniker has a certain ring to it. And Rock squeaked by another Homer Simpson maker-upper -- "Lance Uppercut" -- by a hair.

2. Sissy: Yep. Just Sissy. But, I could only do it if Mr. Liz agreed to change his name to "Bud" and move to Texas so we could have our own "Texas Bud" and "Texas Sissy" license plates, ala John Travolta and Debra Winger in "Urban Cowboy."

3. American Idol: The strategy -- if I'm an out-of-work anything looking to make a splash (and possibly some cash) by changing my name to something that will create buzz, why not go for the gold?

Jen's picks

1. Pepper Potts: The name evokes the image of a sexy, uber-organized woman capable of attracting the affections of none other than Iron Man. Or, alternately, a potentially super-cute Disney cartoon character shaped like a flower pot. Either way, I win.

2. Kick-Ass: Alongside Capt. Awesome, we could totally fight crime. Despite the name change, I would still choose to dress like Hit-Girl, though.

3. Henry Gale: It's the perfect alias to deceive a whole bunch of gullible castaways (well, except for that Iraqi guy) and make them briefly think I'm totally not evil.

Source: The Register-Guard

By Liz Kelly and Jen Chaney  | December 8, 2010; 12:49 PM ET
Categories:  Extreme Fans
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'I Am Number Four': The trailer looks like something (or things) we've seen before
Next: Awards season scorecard: Who's won what so far

Comments

There sure are a lot of guys on this island called Heywood...

It must be a reference to the patriarch of the Jablome family.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 8, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

That dude sold himself short. Just "Captain"? Not "Colonel Awesome" or "General Badass"?

Posted by: mrsdorkusmaximus | December 8, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Liz
This got Jen and I thinking...

No! No! NO! It should be, "This got Jen and me thinking..." After all, would you say "This got I thinking..."? (Me doubts it, LOL!)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 8, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

mrsdorkusmaximus, along similar lines I've always wondered why Libyan strongman Muamar Ghaddafi (sp?) was willing to settle for being a mere Colonel (especially compared to Francisco Franco, who wasn't just any old General but the Generalíssimo).

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 8, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Awful.

Posted by: kabuki3 | December 8, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Awfully entertaining!

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | December 8, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I love both Pepper Potts and Rock Strongo, but for very different reasons.

Personally? Being a huge Futurama fan...I'd go for Scruffy.

Just Scruffy.

Yep.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | December 8, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, how about Keyser Soze?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | December 8, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Lynn C Lowe-Han

Sue Sylvester's high school frienemy.

Posted by: changling | December 8, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

The best Homer Simpson name change was "Max Power". Seemed to work out for him decently.

Posted by: spartanindc | December 8, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

'Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Jen Chaney.'

You're right, Bawlmer, it works better the other way.

Posted by: KevFromArlington | December 8, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Elvis Jagger Abdul-Jabbar?

Posted by: ozpunk | December 8, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Sissy is Bubba's sister.

Posted by: jimward21 | December 8, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

WOOH I was away for a wee bit and I clearly missed something:

Mrsdorkusmaximus - Dorkus you got married! Congrats!!!

Posted by: LTL1 | December 8, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Xena

No last name should be needed.

I actually work with a woman whose given name is Zina, pronounced the same but spelled differently (and named before the show came out)

Posted by: cjbriggs | December 8, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Nobody chose Hootie McBoob?

Posted by: gasmonkey | December 8, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

LTL1-
A month ago tomorrow! We eloped in Vegas.

Gotta say though, being married totally puts a damper on my dating life. Unless it's Christina Hendricks or ScarJo, then Dorkus is apparently totally cool with that.

Posted by: mrsdorkusmaximus | December 8, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

LTL - not only did Dorkus get married, but mrsdorkus is a rockin' contributor to Lizard Island. mrdorkus chose well!

Posted by: agog1 | December 9, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse