Posted at 9:10 AM ET, 12/21/2010

Tracy Morgan recovering from kidney surgery; Shania Twain engaged; 'Spider-Man' performer falls 30 feet

By Jen Chaney

Celebrity Beat: Tracy Morgan recovering from kidney transplant... Shania Twain engaged to Nestle executive, who happens to be the same guy who used to be married to Twain's best friend, the same woman once rumored to have had an affair with Twain's ex, Mutt Lange (you follow all that?)... Betty White chosen as Associated Press's Entertainer of the Year... Steve Landesberg of "Barney Miller" fame dies at age 65... Chris Brown graduates from class on domestic violence awareness... Jermaine Jackson's house possibly headed for foreclosure... E! presents the Top 10 Celebrity Mug Shots of 2010 (clearly, Snooki's wins)... Hollywood Boxing Federation wants Mark Wahlberg, Will Smith to fight each other.

Pop Culture: In further proof that "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" might be the most cursed theatrical work since that Scottish play, a performer is injured onstage and a preview performance of the beleaguered musical is cut short... "King's Speech" leads nominees for London Critics' Circle Film Awards... Dan Brown takes over writing duties on "The Lost Symbol" screenplay... David O. Russell apparently has no idea who Nathan Fillion is.

Video: 200 Christmases in two minutes, courtesy of the "90210" cast (and yes, Emily Valentine is totally in this clip):

200 Christmases In 2 Minutes from Cinefamily on Vimeo.

By Jen Chaney  | December 21, 2010; 9:10 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Daily Mix, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bret Michaels and Kristi Gibson Engaged
Next: 'Hanna': Saoirse Ronan means business

Comments

I guess Chris Brown beat the curve.

I heard that Spider-Man musical includes a song about a German dictator during the vernal equinox as well.

Dan Brown takes over writing duties on "The Lost Symbol" screenplay...All that exposition isn't going to write itself.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 21, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

First Griz got a kidney transplant, then Tracy Morgan got one. So, Dot-Com, what are *you* waiting for?

"Betty White chosen as Associated Press's Entertainer of the Year..." Leading edge, AP, leading edge.

R.I.P., Steve Landesberg. (Meanwhile, Abe Vigoda answers the phone, "No, I'm still here.")

Let's make it really interesting and have Mark Wahlberg and Willow Smith fight each other.

Much like what happened with 'the Scottish play,' the theatre community is now unwilling to refer to "S-M:TOFD" by its full title, preferring to call it only 'that crappish play.'

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 21, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

Chris Brown at his class "Aware of it? Heck I did it."

RIP Sgt. Dietrich.

What rock has David O. Russell been living under?

Posted by: epjd | December 21, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

"Shania Twain is engaged to Frederic Thiebaud. Thiebaud is the ex-husband of Twain's former best friend Marie-Anne Thiebaud -- the woman Robert "Mutt" Lange, Twain's husband of 14 years, abruptly left her for in May 2008."

Reminds me of the story where the Colonel tells the Private, "Private, I just got a dog for my wife."

"Good trade, Sir," replies the Private.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 21, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Brown's work on "The Lost Symbol" screenplay was exactly what Wilde meant with his crack about writing v. typing.

Posted by: byoolin1 | December 21, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

David O. Russell apparently has no idea who Nathan Fillion is.

Perhaps Nathan Fillion has no idea who David O. Russell. I know I certainly don't.

First Nick Yemana (Jack Soo), now Dietrich. They're breakin' up that old gang o' mine...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 21, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

David O. Russell apparently has no idea who Nathan Fillion is.

And neither of them know who I am. For that matter, neither do the rest of you.

And I intend to keep it that way.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 21, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm having visions of David O Russel besieged by rampant browncoats.

Dan Brown taking over screenwriting duties...right, because after all just anyone can write a good screenplay, I mean, every waiter and waitress in town has a screenplay, because, you know, after every bad movie the whole audience knows they could have written a better one...someone get me a drink from the tiki bar and talk me down...

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 21, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Name your drink, Cat. Your description of people's perception of the difficulty of writing a screenplay reminds me of a quote by Stanislaw Lew:

"Every stink that fights the ventilator thinks it’s Don Quixote."

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 21, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Sas
And neither of them know who I am. For that matter, neither do the rest of you. And I intend to keep it that way.

Actually, Sas, I thought I spotted you ducking into a Georgetown alley late one Saturday night last month...

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 21, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Sas

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 21, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Sorry about the double-post. Got an error msg. from WaPo.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | December 21, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Good one Sas, I'll keep that one for future reference.

I'll take a straight scotch, thanks.

Posted by: sorcerers_cat | December 21, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse