Posted at 9:22 AM ET, 12/ 6/2010

'Walking Dead' season 1 finale: 'TS-19'; season 2 due late in 2011

By Liz Kelly

If you haven't yet watched last night's show, beware. There be spoilers here, proceed with caution...

Just as we were really getting into "Walking Dead" (AKA "That Show on AMC That Isn't About Hot Advertising Execs in Retro Clothes or Meth Cookers"), it came to an abrupt, explosive end with Sunday's sixth, season closing episode. The good news? AMC has already picked up the show for a second season. The bad news? That season likely won't begin until next October at the earliest.

In the meantime, six takeaweays and/or questions (hey, you can't expect me to have all the answers when Jen's on vacation) from last night's finale:

1. In the event of a zombie-pocalypse, don't rely on the government to have your back. Especially when the government (as far as we who have not read ahead in the comic books know) consists of one hopeless CDC technician who admits his wife, who was infected by the zombie bug and is now dead dead dead, was the truly brilliant scientist.

2. Finding a safe haven from zombies provides the perfect opportunity to get rip-roaring drunk. We should also credit the government having the foresight to stock the CDC up on mass quantities of red wine, eggs and aspirin.

3. A hot shower can almost make you forget the world is crawling with zombies who don't care whether you smell like Prell or stale-sweat. Though wandering around post-shower in only a gauzy shirt and a pair of socks may bring on an attack of an entirely different kind: an unwanted drunken advance from the guy you were shacking up with when you thought your husband was dead. Which leads to the next observation...

4. Since when does anyone believe that a guy would brutally scratch himself in his sleep? When Shane shows up for breakfast with three deep gouges in his neck and explains them away as happening in his sleep, his companions don't blink. No, I'm not thinking anyone would instantly jump to the conclusion that they were inflicted by Lori Grimes, but these people are living in a world where even the tiniest of scratches from a zombie can cause infection. So you'd think there would have been a few more questions or another blood test administered.

5. Really bad CGI is really bad CGI: We get it -- the CDC self-destructed in a fiery explosion. If the show's budget didn't allow for truly believable special effects, the shots should have been limited to explosion reaction from our survivors. The aerial animation was not only cheesy, but gratuitous, and seemed to be spliced in from "Komodo vs. Cobra."

6. Bob Dylan goes with zombies like peanut butter goes with jelly. Luckily, the explosion was quickly forgotten as our band of survivors drove away from the CDC and Atlanta to the dulcet tones of Bob Dylan's "Tomorrow is a Long Time." Was that perhaps a reference to the fact that we won't see another episode for a year?

Share your comments and observations about the season finale below in comments...

Previous coverage:

Q&A: 'The Walking Dead's' Andrew Lincoln

'The Walking Dead' -- Episode 5: 'Wildfire'

'Walking Dead': Plot points to consider after episode four

'The Walking Dead': Why, Rick Grimes? Why?

'Walking Dead' episode two: Five questions about 'Guts'

AMC's 'Walking Dead': Have we found our next 'Lost'?

By Liz Kelly  | December 6, 2010; 9:22 AM ET
Categories:  TV  | Tags:  Walking Dead
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Amber Heard comes out at GLAAD event; Mario Testino shoots official Wills and Kate photo
Next: 'Tangled' tops a weak post-Thanksgiving box office

Comments

While those are some interesting observations, a couple of which I did not catch myself, there is a couple one I would like to point out about this article. I see it all the time, smart asses that think they are smarter than the rest of us will write derogatory comments and degrade the author or each other. I wont do that. What I noticed about this article is that in the introduction Liz tells us that there are five takeaways that she will describe. Did anybody else notice that there are two number fours on the list, which would then come to a total of six things on the list. OOPS!! Thanks,

Posted by: blunorng | December 6, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Yup, I saw a mistake I made in my previous post. There are probably more that one also. OOPS! again.
Thanks,

Posted by: blunorng | December 6, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I was kinda surprised that they didn't give Shane more of an interrogation or even any more questions about the scratches.

Knowing it was up for a second season we knew that at the very least our leading man was gonna make it out. Though the hubby said that "It might be cool if they killed 'em all off & started with a new group every season."

I know that's not what they're doing, but it sounds interesting.

Posted by: wadejg | December 6, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Nice turnaround on the correction.

Posted by: blunorng | December 6, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Okay so my biggest question at the end of the show was "What the hell did Jenner whisper in Rick's ear before the group left?" My guess...I bet he saw Shane attack Lori in the rec room since there are cameras everywhere, and warned Rick to watch his back. Which is why he didn't press on another blood test after seeing those scratches on Shane's face the next morning. Or maybe not...:)

Posted by: lizettegrpb | December 6, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think if each episode was 90 minutes like the pilot, a lot of things that are sometimes sort of rushed by would get addressed more -- though who's to say if the pacing at 90 minutes would still be as entertaining.

I loved that even though I'd read an interview with Laurie Holden (Andrea) where she talked about returning next season, I briefly thought "omg, she's gonna die! Did I read her interview wrong?" while watching the finale. I guess I'm just gullible, but I was really convinced they were all doomed. :)

I really didn't find the finale explosion was so bad but I don't have HDTV. Maybe in good old CRT viewing, the "cheese factor" isn't so noticeable? :)

Posted by: blackjack65 | December 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

We get it- it's not the same as "Lost", Liz. Readers, if you want a more nuanced, way smarter take on "Walking Dead", you should check out Slate or the AV Club.

Posted by: steelers_rule123 | December 6, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

My question is why are they driving so many cars? Wouldn't be smarter to syphon the gas out of the cars and save it for one large car (like the RV or the Van) that carries more people? I bet you that they were running on fumes when they left that building.

P.S the scientist may have lost all of his experiments, but it seems he still gave up too easily. And why did that one woman stay behind, like all of a sudden she was ready to kick the bucket? I liked the show, but the reasoning behind some of the directions they took with the characters are pretty random.

Thanks for Season 2!

Posted by: RossdaBoss | December 6, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@ lizettegrpb

"What the hell did Jenner whisper in Rick's ear before the group left?"

Given that everybody took a blood test upon entering, I'm thinking Lori is pregnant.

Posted by: kevinlee4 | December 6, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Or one of the group is infected.

Posted by: divi3 | December 6, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

No, no, no, Jenner was saying I love you, you know like in Lost in Translation.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | December 6, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Just wondering about the zombie construct here: do zombies take a dump or just eat until they are filled up and there isn't any room left for more stuff?

Posted by: westfieldsdude | December 6, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Ed Jenner, CDC Epidemiologist!!! When I heard the name I laughed so hard, I nearly popped a pustule.

IF this was Lost, it would be a hint that the Zombie plague is not caused by a bacterium or a virus. And why do I find myself wishing to see Robert Neville (Will Smith) and his faithful dog?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 6, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Ooooh. Biggest questions in my mind were already asked here: why so many cars, and what did Jenner whisper to Rick (and both postulations, above, are intriguing). As for the zombie construct, I asked a good pal of mine who has a zombie hobby. Her answer is that there really isn't any digestion going on - they just keep eating and what goes in pushes out what's already in there. Or the stomach decays and starts filling the body cavity, until that goes... you get the point.

Posted by: CentreOfNowhere1 | December 6, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the cars, it would be foolhardy to reduce the number of vehicles.

First, breakdowns--you don't want everyone crammed into an old RV that won't start when the walkers come over the hill. With multiple cars, you can abandon one or two in emergencies without losing people.

Second, vast resources--in a world where most of the population lives exclusively on brains, fuel is a plentiful resource. Every country gas station has hundreds or thousands of gallons in underground tanks just waiting to be pumped out (and where the walker concentration would be relatively low, too, making for less dangerous scavanging).

The real car question is why they haven't picked up better vehicles. For example, there are military grade, off-road capable humvees on the outskirts of town everywhere--why not grab several of those (especially with mounted machine guns and ammo) to augment your force.

God help me, why did I just take the time to post this? (goes back to work, head bowed in shame and self-loathing)

Posted by: Bipper | December 10, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse