Posted at 8:15 AM ET, 01/31/2011

Henry Cavill cast as new Superman. Wait -- who?

By Liz Kelly

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's Henry Cavill! (AP)

Despite our best efforts on his behalf, Jon Hamm has not been cast as Superman. But, hey, in our book, he'll always be super. Super duper, even.

Instead, Henry Cavill, who is best known to American audiences as Charles Brandon on Showtime's "The Tudors," landed the role of the red-caped superhero in the Zack Snyder ("300")-directed reboot. The movie is expected to hit theaters in December 2012.

Each generation has its own Man of Steel. For us, it will forever be Christopher Reeve, who bested his Lex Luthor -- Gene Hackman -- and thugs like Ned Beatty and turned the world back in time to save his Lois, Margot Kidder. The franchise was last -- and briefly -- resuscitated in 2006, with Brandon Routh in the title role, Kate Bosworth cast as Lane and Kevin Spacey as Luthor.

Source: Comic Riffs, AP

By Liz Kelly  | January 31, 2011; 8:15 AM ET
Categories:  Movies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: SAG Awards 2011: Best and worst dressed
Next: Kim Kardashian upset about W photo shoot: 'I'm more naked than I was in Playboy'

Comments

I don't hate it. Though I had no problem with Routh in the last one either. Now, the rest of the cast and that horrible script on the other hand...

Posted by: paujwill | January 31, 2011 8:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm crying on you Liz. The perfection of Tom Welling has smote my heart and rendered me devastated at this news. My long love for the character has been rendered meaningless. All is woe and darkness now.

Posted by: Lori-M | January 31, 2011 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Joining James Frain in moving from the Renaissance to Superheros

Posted by: HardyW | January 31, 2011 11:31 AM | Report abuse

My friend and I both thought Cavill was hotter than Meyers (?) on Tudors. I can dig this.

I just hope they get a better Lois. And script.

Posted by: Aloe9678 | January 31, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

For some of us, it will always be George Reeves.

Posted by: kabuki3 | January 31, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse