Posted at 12:04 PM ET, 01/27/2011

Jay-Z and Will Smith present 'Annie.' Is this movie-musical update a good idea?

By Jen Chaney

Willow Smith, soon to be a musical orphan.(AP)

Remember "Annie," the delightful musical about a spunky orphan that inspired the curriculum choices for thousands of elementary school music teachers?

Well, it's coming to the big screen for a second time, with Will Smith, Jada Pinkett-Smith and Jay-Z behind the project.

As the Associated Press and others outlets have reported, Jay-Z has hooked up with the Smiths' production company to work on developing multiple motion picture projects, with a contemporary version of "Annie" apparently at the top of the list. Naturally, the front-runner for playing Annie is none other than Willow Smith.

Which means the signature song from the movie version of the Broadway musical -- previously made into a film back in 1982 -- could sound like this: "The sun will come out ... tomorrow ... when I whip my hair back and forth."

Clearly Jay-Z's version of "Hard Knock Life" has to be part of the new "Annie." And hopefully they can work in a fresh take on an old Smith classic: "Parents Just Don't Understand ... or at Least We Assume They Don't Understand, But Honestly We're Not Sure Since All of Us are Orphans."

But seriously, folks ... is this a good idea? Could Jay-Z and Will Smith bring some fresh energy to a beloved, heartwarming tale? Or is this just another excuse to pump up Willow Smith's profile? Post a comment or vote in the poll below.

By Jen Chaney  | January 27, 2011; 12:04 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Movies, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will Ferrell joins 'The Office'
Next: Hugh Jackman will present at the Oscars

Comments

I'm currious if it will be a straight re-make with the same songs or more like what "The Wiz" is to "The Wizard of Oz".

Either way I don't hate the idea of a remake on this one.

Posted by: sjcpeach | January 27, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse

What is Willow Smith carrying in the creepy, strap-on shoulder bag? A spare Thetan, in case hers gets co-opted?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 27, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I can see a remake working. But honestly, if they really want it to work, they need to find the perfect Annie. Otherwise, it just looks like a Smith family vanity project.

Posted by: epjd | January 27, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

She looks just like her father! It seems the formula worked well on Karate Kid. Smith kid + remake of 80s classic family film = $$$

Posted by: kvs71 | January 27, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Eh, why not? It's not as if the original movie is a classic. In fact, it kinda sucked.

Posted by: onlytheshadowknows1 | January 27, 2011 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@onlytheshadowknows - I will admit, I loved the 1982 version as a then-4-yr-old little redheaded girl.

But! I've been watching it with my nephew about once a day (before, we were watching my sister's favorite, "Home Alone," and I thought "Annie" would be a nice change), and if we had a remote for our DVD player, I would probably skip to "Never Fully Dressed," "Tomorrow," "Easy Street" and the ending. The whole introduction of the dog is just ridiculous.

I still don't want a Smith remake, though.

Posted by: Aloe9678 | January 27, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd be in favor of a remake if it starred Zahara Jolie-Pitt. She's a real life Annie.

Posted by: changling | January 27, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Awww. The Smiths are just trying to do for their daughter what the Cyruses did for Miley.

Posted by: mat00 | January 28, 2011 11:44 AM | Report abuse

There's a "Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)"?

Posted by: DCCubefarm | January 28, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse