Posted at 3:51 PM ET, 01/ 5/2011

Montel Williams busted with drug paraphernalia

By Liz Kelly

Montel Williams. (AP)

Montel Williams was issued a citation for possession of drug paraphernalia at a Milwaukee airport on Tuesday.

The former talk show host was busted with a pipe used for smoking marijuana, according to CNN. He paid a TSA fine of $484 on the spot and was released to continue his journey, which we assume involved him getting high ... in the air.

Williams suffers from multiple sclerosis and has long been an outspoken advocate for legalization of marijuana.

Recently, 700 Club founder Pat Robertson also voiced his support for the decriminalization of marijuana, saying, "I'm not exactly for the use of drugs, don't get me wrong, but I just believe that criminalizing marijuana, criminalizing the possession of a few ounces of pot, that kinda thing it's just, it's costing us a fortune and it's ruining young people."

In December, Jeff Bridges admitted that he almost turned down the role of the pot-smoking Dude in "The Big Lebowski" out of concern for his daughters, even though he admits to being a longtime herbal enthusiast.

And that's today's celebrity pot report.

Source: The Associated Press

By Liz Kelly  | January 5, 2011; 3:51 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Crime Watch
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The People's Choice Awards: An FAQ
Next: Josh Groban, singing the tweets of Kanye West

Comments

Amazing! Who would have thought that a "pot pipe" could be used to take down an airplane? The mind BOGGLES!

Or is this just another case of unreasonable search and seizure. Funny, the whole purpose behind TSA searches was supposed to keep us "safe". Turns out it's just another razzia.

C

Posted by: cz_man | January 5, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Time for the Pope to weigh in on the subject.

Posted by: phvr38 | January 5, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I have neuralgia (nerve pain) in my feet, a common diabetes problem. Right now, the best prescription drugs on the market to take at night before trying to sleep are amitryptyline, gabopentin (sp?) and expensive, proprietary Lyrica, which the V.A. won't supply to the likes of me.

I will tell you: marijuana is better at suppressing neuralgia pain than any prescription drug doctors either private or V.A. have given me over the years. If it was legal, Lyrica wouldn't sell at all.

Fah.

Posted by: roblimo | January 5, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse

How long has the government been involved in this fruitless crusade to get rid of the demand for reefer.......50 years ?? Insane.

Posted by: bandcyuk | January 5, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 5, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey, whatever happened to Morning Mix? (Not that I'm uninterested in Montel and his pipe)

Posted by: rashibama | January 5, 2011 5:23 PM | Report abuse

You've got to be kidding me???? Montel wasn't even snagged for MJ possession (I'm assuming he didn't possess any MJ)? But snagged for a pipe???? I had NO IDEA that airport TSA is authorized to snag ppl for a pipe .... Geesh ..

Posted by: playnhavefun | January 5, 2011 6:23 PM | Report abuse

We are absolutely nutty about our attitude towards marijuana. Why? I guess if it were legalized, drug companies would make less off their pain killers - because you can grow your under a plant light or in your back yard. They would make less off glaucoma patients because marijuana lowers the pressure and patients wouldn't need to be putting drops in their eyes every day - drops that are so strong as to cause bizarre behavior and changes your eye color. The alcoholic beverage companies, bars and restaurants might make less off alcohol because there's no hangover from marijuana. Governments couldn't tax something grown in your backyard.

Posted by: MNUSA | January 5, 2011 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Show me a pot smoker and I'll show you a big time loser. And that include all those hollywood freakshows.

Posted by: taonima2000 | January 5, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

"He paid a TSA fine of $484 on the spot"

Somebody explain to me how an agency chartered to keep weapons & explosives off of airplanes has morphed into a drug-fine collector?

The TSA mission creep, far exceeding the reason the agency was created -- and far exceeding their very limited legal authority to perform warrantless, suspicionless searches -- is not a good thing for civil rights in this country.

Posted by: vfr2dca | January 5, 2011 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Why was the TSA enforcing this? I think drug busts are outside its charter.

Posted by: RepealObamacareNow | January 5, 2011 7:51 PM | Report abuse

pot a good prescription for anyone suffering from the disease of boredom.

Posted by: bowie2000 | January 5, 2011 7:59 PM | Report abuse

So does this mean that Miley will have to FedEx her salvia equipment to her next party rather than bring it as a carry-on?

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 5, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

When will the madness stop? When will the Federal government finally legalize marijuana for adult use?

Posted by: FARENHEIT451 | January 6, 2011 5:16 AM | Report abuse

There was no trace of marijuana or any other illicit substance on this supposed "drug paraphernalia". How is it drug paraphernalia if it's never been in contact with an illegal drug?

It's wildly improbable that Montel Williams will be convicted on any charges resulting from this latest TSA sponsored dog and pony show. This is just more happy horse sh-hit from the TSA as they desperately try to lend credibility to their ridiculous security theater.

I am so over the lazy, lying, thieving weasels running the DHS and TSA. They are a cancer upon the American culture - a disease that will destroy us if we permit it to run its course.

We must insist our legislators curtail the TSA's civil rights violations immediately. No one in our Federal Government has any excuse for permitting or engaging in the type of blatant malfeasance the TSA has been engaged in, as all Federal civilian employees and office holders have sworn:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

See any wiggle room in there? Neither do I. If someone does, they don't belong in Federal service.

Posted by: ElizabethConley | January 6, 2011 7:20 AM | Report abuse