Posted at 2:00 PM ET, 01/19/2011

More Anne Hathaway news: She's been cast as Catwoman

By Jen Chaney

Anne Hathaway, cast in "The Dark Knight Rises." (AP)

Anne Hathaway might be the female ruler of Hollywood right now. The Oscars co-host and apparent upcoming "Glee" co-star has now been cast as Catwoman in "The Dark Knight Rises."

As announced today by Warner Bros, Hathaway will play the feline female lead opposite Christian Bale in the third of Christopher Nolan's Batman films. Hathaway won the coveted role despite reported competition from the likes of Keira Knightley and Jessica Biel.

So let's see ... Julie Newmar. Lee Meriwether. Eartha Kitt. Michelle Pfeiffer. Halle Berry (we know, that one barely counts). And now, Anne Hathaway.

A solid casting choice, in your humble opinion? Or would someone else have been better? Share your thoughts with a comment or by voting in the poll below.

By Jen Chaney  | January 19, 2011; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Movies, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Does George Lucas think the world will end in 2012?
Next: Ricky Gervais: After the Golden Globes, it's back to 'The Office'

Comments

But will she be an L-word catwoman?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 19, 2011 2:27 PM | Report abuse

So conflicted. I love Anne Hathaway, but I just can't picture her as Catwoman.

Although nearly anyone would be better than Halle Berry.

Posted by: mrsdorkusmaximus | January 19, 2011 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Catwoman is supposed to be athletic, lithe and more like a gymnast. While having doubts of Rebecca Romaijn-Stamos (sp) ability as Mystique, she clearly was a great choice. I would have liked to have seen her as Catwoman.

Posted by: paliceag | January 19, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Hollywood doesn't know how or WHO to cast in these roles...especially the comic movies that have been coming out.

My first hate was Tommy Lee Jones being cast as Two-Face in Batman. Give me a break! Even though that was years ago, Hollywood started showing it had no idea what it was doing in bringing characters to life. As a matter of fact, the entire series of orignal Batman films stunk with Michael Keaton. Jack Nicholson is the only person I watched those movies for...well, the first one.

Danny DeVito DID nail Penguin, regardless of how gross they made him.

Then there's Eric Bana playing The Incredible Hulk. Hated the movie so much I chucked it. And I like Eric Bana....just hated the whole movie with him in it.

Then there was Don Cheadle replacing Terrance Howard. I never saw Ironman 2 and never will.

And how about the casting of Heath Ledger as The Joker. I always felt Jeff Goldblum, if ANYone could play that role it would be him. Perfect height, face, maybe vocal mechanics would be a challenge but at least get close to the comic book Hollywood!

The only super hero Hollywood ever got right is Superman. Lois Lane? Not so much. I hated to old Lois Lane with Christopher Reeves and the new one did no better.

Someone stop the slaughter if we have to labor through Catwoman being Anne Hackaway...though she is a good looking woman in all respects...heh heh....but not for this role.

And for crying out loud stop with all this B movie grade actor casting for all of these new street hero movies please!

Posted by: cbmuzik | January 19, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh, this could be very interesting. I'm not really worried about ass-kicking quotient or athleticism; she's got one and can sharpen the other. More importantly, I think she has the acting chops to stand up to Bale; the two of them could play off each other very well.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | January 19, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

@mrs...mus: That Halle Berry Catwoman was a bigger stinker than litter box left unchanged for week in a heat wave.

But Halle Berry in that Catwoman suit? Paul Giamatti's reaction when he walked onto the stage the other night was just about right.

Posted by: byoolin1 | January 19, 2011 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Joan Rivers ..... Hands down. Walker and all.... AND .... it would be funny.
Annie' is more suited for Anne Bancroft's role in the "Miracle Worker". .... She does .... have that "certain something".... and she can bring a lot of different looks with her somewhat pliable face. (Britney Spears can play Helen Keller).

Posted by: deepthroat21 | January 19, 2011 4:03 PM | Report abuse

She'd have to be better than Halle Berry.

She's done a good job with the roles she's played before, so why would we think she couldn't handle this?

Posted by: postfan1 | January 19, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Why the piling on Halle Berry? Her catwoman was no worse (albeit perhaps no better) than anyone else's.

Posted by: ShovelPlease | January 19, 2011 4:24 PM | Report abuse

shwing.

Posted by: molsonmich | January 19, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

With Anne Hathaway I would ensconce myself in catnip were it socially acceptable.....

In a heartbeat.

Posted by: terpfan4141 | January 19, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I went through a phase of disliking her because she seemed to be doing and saying things similar to Katherine Heigl for a while. I still think Heigl's an idiot, but Hathaway's back on my good side.

I think she'll be great.

Posted by: MzFitz | January 19, 2011 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Yo Liz Kelly. The press release only stated she would be playing Selina Kyle. It made no mention of Catwoman, although it did mention Bane.

Lets not get into a tizzy over her in a cat suit yet.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | January 19, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Halle is an easy target ... yes her catwoman was corny.. So was Michelle Pfeiffer's..

I like Anne all lot Jessica Beal good

Give me Halle. Any way, any day.

Posted by: Tobor58 | January 20, 2011 7:20 AM | Report abuse

One day when Anne is clinging from one magic script role to another, she will cooly regard the illuminated billboard in front of her and gently purr that she always knew she was destined to be our collective 'Joker.'

If only they could make a remake of Anne’s life…

Posted by: zoezoe123 | January 20, 2011 7:56 AM | Report abuse

As long as the director lets her get to her dark (or crazy like Natalie Portman so successfully did) side, and make it realistic, it'll be awesome.

Posted by: donalisa317 | January 20, 2011 9:02 AM | Report abuse