Posted at 4:14 PM ET, 01/18/2011

Regis Philbin announces his exit on 'Live with Regis and Kelly'

By Liz Kelly

Related: Who should replace Regis? | Poll: Your reaction?

Regis loves his followers. Obviously. (Twitter)
Gallery: Regis through the years

We may be witnessing the end of an era. Tuesday morning, Regis Philbin announced that this would be his last year as co-host of "Live with Regis and Kelly," the talk show he's helmed for 28 years.

"I don't want to alarm anybody," said Philbin, "but this will be my last year on the show. There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people."

Later in the day, Philbin joked with fans on the show's official Twitter account, posting the photo at right and this message:

its not like dying, im just retiring from the show, by the way do you have a job for me, -rless than a minute ago via web

Could Philbin perhaps be taking his cues from fellow TV talker Larry King, who retired in December after 25 years of "Larry King Live" on CNN. Monday night, King's replacement -- Piers Morgan -- debuted his show, interviewing yet another retiring career-transitioning TV talker, Oprah Winfrey.

What's this mean for the future of the show, which kicked off in 1983 helmed by Philbin and Cyndy Garvey? Will Kelly Ripa remain and welcome a new co-host -- perhaps husband Mark Consuelos? Will Gelman survive the shake-up? Where will the scads of stars who stop by for a chat with Reeg and Kelly go during the 9 o'clock hour? Clearly, questions abound.

"He's an amazing guy," said former co-host Kathy Lee Gifford on "Today." "He's every man to so many people. He's going to be 80 this-coming August and I think it's just time."

Source: AP, NY Daily News

[Originally posted at 10:03 a.m. ET]

By Liz Kelly  | January 18, 2011; 4:14 PM ET
Categories:  TV  | Tags:  Regis Philbin
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: See the new totally NSFW 'Parks and Recreation' promo
Next: Jennifer Lopez threatened Ricky Gervais backstage at Globes; Bradley Cooper's dad passes away

Comments

Kelly could do lots of things to get a new cohost.

1) Bring on David Canary, who played her father on "All My Children" and call the show, "Live from Pine Valley!"

2) Bring on Faith Ford and call the show, "Live with Faith and Hope!"

3) Bring on Kathie Lee Gifford and call the show "Live with Regis' Ex-Cohosts!"

(Though that last one would result in a lot of talking and camera mugging and no interviewing. Plus Kathie Lee would want to sing. So scratch that one.)

Wait! I'VE GOT IT.

4) Bring on Liz Kelly and call it "Live with Kelly and Kelly!"

Perfect.

Posted by: td_in_baltimore | January 18, 2011 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't Regis hold some record for the longest, continuous time on tv - dating back to (or maybe before) his second banana days on the Joey Bishop show? Anyway, I'd nominate Pat Kiernan (NY1 anchor & former host VH1's "World Series of Pop Culture" to step in with Ripa.

Posted by: molsonmich | January 18, 2011 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I wish Regis to know, I appreciate your talent, you have always been an honorable & humble man, a great entertainer, a man of principles and a gentleman!

Traits that are missing in most of our society!

Thanks for the memories!

Posted by: dareisay | January 18, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

During ratings sweeps, he's got to show the tape of him walking off the Joey Bishop show.

Posted by: ajlerner1 | January 18, 2011 10:57 AM | Report abuse

First Larry King, then Regis. "Regis" derives from the Latin word for "king". Coincidence, or something more sinister? YOU TELL ME!

Posted by: justmike | January 18, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if ABC will try to lead in The View with a longer GMA.

Posted by: bs2004 | January 18, 2011 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I would bring in Paula Abdul, so Kelly can be the serious one.

Posted by: jimward21 | January 18, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

It's about time for Regis. I remember him when he was Joey Bishop's sidekick. I think he graduated from Notre Dame when Pious XII was the grand puba.

Posted by: mortified469 | January 18, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Regis Philbin is still alive ... good for him.

Posted by: knjincvc | January 18, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse