Posted at 3:20 PM ET, 01/19/2011

Ricky Gervais: After the Golden Globes, it's back to 'The Office'

By Liz Kelly

Ricky Gervais. (HBO)

America, Ricky Gervais isn't done with us yet. Next stop? Scranton, Pa.

With Sunday's controversial Golden Globes-hosting gig still fresh in our minds, today comes news that Gervais will reprise his role as David Brent -- the original boss of the U.K. version of "The Office" -- on the Steve Carell-led stateside version.

The cameo will reportedly air on Jan. 27. Though details are sketchy, Gervais will -- according to Michael Ausiello -- run into his American counterpart. Comedy, we assume, ensues.

This isn't Gervais' first foray into scripted TV for Yanks. His show "Extras," originally created for the BBC, also aired on HBO for two seasons. Gervais also penned an episode of "The Simpsons" and an episode, "The Convict," of the American version of "The Office."

Source: TVLine.com

Related: Should Ricky Gervais return as Golden Globes host?

After the jump, a look at Gervais at work in the U.K. version...

By Liz Kelly  | January 19, 2011; 3:20 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, TV  | Tags:  Ricky Gervais
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More Anne Hathaway news: She's been cast as Catwoman
Next: Robert Downey Jr. no longer 'Oz, the Great and Powerful'; Mike White backs away from 'Zombies'

Comments

I love Ricky Gervais. See his movie "The Invention of Lying." It's funny and makes you think. If you like that sort of thing.

Posted by: chiquita2 | January 19, 2011 4:05 PM | Report abuse

He may be a fine comic but I fail to see the humor in his closing comment at the GGs.
Also, why do I see so many Brits hosting US shows anyhow? Everytime I turn around there is a person with a British accent hosting a show. Don't we have enough unemployed Hollywood types to take these jobs?

Posted by: OHREALLYNOW | January 19, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Let me break it to you, hosting the Golden Globes isn't a "job". No one gets "paid" to do so.

>Also, why do I see so many Brits hosting US >shows anyhow? Everytime I turn around there >is a person with a British accent hosting a >show. Don't we have enough unemployed >Hollywood types to take these jobs?

Posted by: bassclef | January 19, 2011 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I love everything Ricky Gervais has done, down to the podcasts.

But I totally didn't get anything out of what I saw from the Golden Globes. DeNiro/Damon also were flat at best. Whatever.

Posted by: HardyW | January 20, 2011 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Back to the Orifice, Ricky.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | January 20, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse