Posted at 10:54 AM ET, 02/15/2011

Billy Ray Cyrus: 'Hannah Montana' destroyed my life

By Liz Kelly

billy_ray_gq.jpg

Look out Michael Lohan, there's a new disgruntled celebri-dad in town and his name is Billy Ray Cyrus.

In the latest issue of GQ, Cyrus opens up about his recent divorce, the whole Miley bong incident, why he's feeling increasingly estranged from his 18-year-old offspring and how "Hannah Montana" "destroyed" his life. (Hey, mine too! Or at least 30-second portions of my life that involved channel surfing and getting momentarily stuck on the Disney Channel.)

Anyhow, Cyrus -- who once posed in a provocative Vanity Fair Annie Leibovitz spread with his then underage daughter -- says he didn't attend Miley's 18th birthday party because, "they were having it in a bar. It was wrong. It was for 21 year olds and up. Once again all them people, they all wanted me to fly out so that then when all the bad press came they could say, 'Daddy endorsed this stuff...' If I would have went out there I would have been right in the middle of all this stuff that’s going on right now with the bong.”

As for the show that made Miley famous and reignited Billy Ray's own stagnant career, Cyrus says the show "destroyed my family... I'd take it back in a second. For my family to be here and just be everybody okay, safe and sound and happy and normal, would have been fantastic."

After the jump, a few more choice bits...

>> "I've never made a dime off of Miley. You got a lot of people have made percentages off of her. I'm proud to say to this day I've never made one commissioned dollar, or dime, off of my daughter."

>> "Every time something happened in Miley's career, every time the train went off the track, if you will -- Vanity Fair, pole-dancing, whatever scandal it was -- her people, or as they say in today's news, her handlers, every time they'd put me... 'Somebody's shooting at Miley! Put the old man up there!' Well, I took it, because I'm her daddy, and that's what daddies do."

And, cryptically:

>> "Were it not for David Lynch," Cyrus asserts in the article, "Miley would never have been Hannah Montana."

Source: GQ

By Liz Kelly  | February 15, 2011; 10:54 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Miley Cyrus  | Tags:  Billy Ray Cyrus, Miley Cyrus
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lady Gaga says she has Madonna's support; Victoria Beckham tapped to design dresses for Kate Middleton?
Next: Britney Spears named ultimate gay icon

Comments

This just adds to my theory that Blue Velvet just messes people up.

Posted by: DorkusMaximus1 | February 15, 2011 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Never made a dime, oh wait I mean commission. Because while I was exploiting my daughter with a tv show, I was collecting a paycheck for appearing on thatshow.

Oh sure, her "handlers" made him sit there while his half-dressed under age daughter lay in his lap.

Way to not take responsibility for your own actions and your own lack of parenting.

Posted by: epjd | February 15, 2011 11:10 AM | Report abuse

This guy is such a joke. I laughed so hard reading the article that I choked on yogurt. Exactly. How hard do you have to laugh to choke on yogurt? Try.

Posted by: ileschinder | February 15, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Travis Tritt was right

Posted by: HardyW | February 15, 2011 11:58 AM | Report abuse

HardyW - Here's a quarter, call someone who cares? Or is there another Travis Tritt gem that applies here?

Posted by: JLRGG | February 15, 2011 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Love the Lucky Charms cereal and the Taco Party Pack in the picture. That must have been staged to make him look like an 'average dad'.

Posted by: JLRGG | February 15, 2011 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I can't remember the song, it just kind of mocked Billy Ray's cred next to Hank Williams and Merle Haggard

Posted by: HardyW | February 15, 2011 12:16 PM | Report abuse

not that TT was much less blow-dried and packaged but anyway...

Posted by: HardyW | February 15, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Can you *imagine* what David Lynch's "Hannah Montana" would be like?

Think "Human Centipede" but weirder.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 15, 2011 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Now that's what I call ungrateful, Billy Cyrus!

Posted by: candymeredith | February 15, 2011 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I assume the David Lynch comment was because of Cyrus's cameo as the pool man in Mulholland Drive?

Though if you think about it, if David Lynch is responsible for Hannah Montana, he's also responsible for Showgirls, and my having to break up with Kyle McLachlan for excessive creepiness.

Posted by: Miwako | February 15, 2011 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I am pretty sure that Billy Ray got his daughter the role on the show. He was already hired as the father for the show and suggested his kid get a shot because she could sing. The rest was all her. He had no say in her getting the gig.

Posted by: Flicking_Gamer | February 15, 2011 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I blame Billy Ray's mullet for the dissolution of his family.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 15, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Well, for starters, he can get a haircut. Even the butter smooth voice homeless man knows to get a haircut. You know, the one what looks a bit like Obama.

As for his tart young un. Sex sells. It's interesting how the fairy tales(Disney) of some other countries don't emphasize the 'sexual awakening' of adolescents where the dream of the fairy princess is to ultimately kiss her princess. Instead they emphasize the inherent value of hard work, honesty and other noble virtues that don't lead one to the bedroom.

Posted by: glenmayne | February 15, 2011 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Re-edited for content.

As for his tart young un. Sex sells. It's interesting how the fairy tales(Disney) of some other countries don't emphasize the 'sexual awakening' of adolescents where the dream of the fairy princess is to ultimately kiss her prince. Instead they emphasize the inherent value of hard work, honesty and other noble virtues that don't lead one to the bedroom.

Posted by: glenmayne | February 15, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

glenmayne - The Disney stories are G rated versions of European folklores that are hundreds of years old. The original stories were very violent and had sexual themes.

Posted by: buffysummers | February 15, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

************************************

Brings to mind Lewis Black's "If it wasn't for my horse.." bit.

Posted by: wadejg | February 15, 2011 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Unlike Billy Ray, Lewis Black is funny.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 15, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Billy Ray, didn't you excuse Miley's pole-dancing, bump-and-grind-with-some-man-dance, semi-nude photos, and other behavior with a comment like "that's what kids her age do these days"? What were you doing when you should have been raising your kid?

Posted by: 1950snoopy | February 15, 2011 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Billy Ray needs to take a visit to a VA Hospital or Arlington National Cemetary to see what having a family "destroyed" is all about. He can ask the patients how they're going to now support their families, and in exchange, they can ask him how he is investing his millions. Go away Billy, and take your over-exposed daughter with you.

Posted by: justanotherguy | February 15, 2011 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Billy Ray should just join the club, with millions of members, whose lives were ruined by Hannah Montana. And stop whining. Sheesh.

Posted by: lydandy | February 15, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Billy's exposing his daughter to the world has set her on a path of her own destruction. Too much too soon and just could not wait to grow up. Miley, she was cute.

Posted by: oakland717 | February 15, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

my achy, breaky heart bleeds for him

Posted by: talabereldon | February 15, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse