Posted at 8:30 AM ET, 02/10/2011

Friday Night Lights: Saying goodbye but not yet

By Jen Chaney

Some fans of "Friday Night Lights" -- the ones who have been watching season five on DirecTV, where the show ended its run last night -- are waking up today knowing how the Dillon, Tex., drama ends. And they are undoubtedly feeling a measure of sadness that it's all over.

The rest of the "Friday Night Lights" fans? They also know it's over, but that the end for them won't begin until NBC airs the final season, beginning April 15. It's a bit like getting news of someone's tragic death, but not attending the funeral until a few months later.

Personally, I've managed to remain completely season-five spoiler-free. I have intentionally not read a single recap, nor have I accidentally stumbled upon any major plot developments from the last batch of episodes. In the Internet age, that's a minor miracle. And for the next two months, I plan to keep it that way.

So along with the fellow "Friday Night Lights" fans for whom the end doesn't come until this spring, I say goodbye to a great show. But I'll save the real, final farewell for later.

By Jen Chaney  | February 10, 2011; 8:30 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leonardo DiCaprio as J. Edgar Hoover -- First Look
Next: Scarlett Johansson 'smitten' with Sean Penn -- Us

Comments

Like Jen, I've assiduously avoided all spoilers re the final season of FNL, so that it will be new for me starting April 15. What a marvelous series it's been, on the whole!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 10, 2011 9:54 AM | Report abuse

<-- insert Dumbledore comment here

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | February 10, 2011 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I just finished watching the last episode of Friday Night Lights. I will not give anything away as I realize some havent seen it yet.All I will say is it was like losing a dear friend. And yes- I got choked up realizing I will never again get to watch one of my all time favorite shows.Not until the cast interviews did I realize it had been 5 years.I can only wish it had been for 5 more. Best of luck to all who made it a very enjoyable part of the many viewers lives.

Posted by: oldfolksguy | February 10, 2011 7:56 PM | Report abuse

(No spoilers) It's a shame for a movie at this caliber production and cinematic qualities to end. Not once do you ever feel the show is fake with cliches typical of current prime-time dramas. Just the overall story combined with the dramatic musical score made each and every show till the end excellent. I never want FNL to end because you get so lost in the show that you feel that you are right on the field with them. Thank you to all of the writers, actors, production, directors, and all the cast that has made us feel we were a part of Dillon, TX. Friday Night Lights will live in us forever!

Posted by: cdmilford | February 11, 2011 1:26 AM | Report abuse

(no spoilers) It's a shame for a movie at this caliber production and cinematic qualities to end. Not once do you ever feel the show is fake with cliches typical of current prime-time dramas. Just the overall story combined with the dramatic musical score made each and every show till the end excellent. I never want FNL to end because you get so lost in the show that you feel that you are right on the field with them. Thank you to all of the writers, actors, production, directors, and all the cast that has made us feel we were a part of Dillon, TX. Friday Night Lights will live in us forever!

Posted by: cdmilford | February 11, 2011 1:30 AM | Report abuse