Posted at 9:46 AM ET, 02/16/2011

Lady Gaga: I was in the egg for 72 hours

By Liz Kelly

Lady Gaga has had a seismic effect on pop music. Well, let me rephrase: She's had a seismic effect on the image projected by pop music stars. Her outre influence has pushed former vamps into camp territory, with chanteuses from Rihanna to Katy Perry to Miley Cyrus ratcheting up the freak factor in a desperate bid to keep up.

On Sunday, she topped even herself, arriving at the Grammys inside a kinda cool, but mostly icky egg-shaped vessel in which she claimed to be creatively incubating. She emerged just in time for her on-stage performance of Madonna's "Express Yourself" her new song, "Born This Way."

On Tuesday, Gaga called in to Ryan Seacrest's radio show and shared the shocking, yet laughable (and slightly troubling) news that she had spent 72 hours confined in the man-made embryo.

"I was in there for about 72 hours," Gaga told Seacrest. "And it was a very creative experience, and it was time for me to prepare and really think about the meaning of ["Born This Way," which she performed on stage] and get prepared for the performance. I really wanted to be born on stage.”

Now, I have some questions. Questions Ryan Seacrest -- fool! -- did not ask:

1. Was Gaga literally in the egg for 72 hours straight?

2. When in the "creative embryonic" state does one not need to make use of the restroom or did she, literally, stew in her own juices?

3. Did she order in or was there some kind of unimaginable umbilicus keeping her nourished and hydrated?

4. Is there a built-in shower and/or deodorant function?

5. How soon can we put her back in and bury her for 100 years?

By Liz Kelly  | February 16, 2011; 9:46 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities  | Tags:  Lady Gaga
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsay Lohan won't appear on Letterman; police remove gun from Frankie Muniz's home
Next: Liam Neeson opens up about losing wife Natasha Richardson

Comments

LADY GAGA hear me now!!! I want to write a song with you, PLEASE!!!

Check out my video-

Posted by: djmythod | February 16, 2011 10:10 AM | Report abuse

you must be one with the egg it is the only way

Posted by: cat7912 | February 16, 2011 10:23 AM | Report abuse

you must be one with the egg it is the only way

Posted by: cat7912 | February 16, 2011 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Is it me or is there more than a hint of Spinal Tap about this?

It would be a fairly amusing postmodern joke if it weren't so badly conceived and pointlessly derivative.

As the song from which she took her name points out Ga-ga can easily become blah-blah.

Posted by: ZenithOClock | February 16, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

So this proves two things.

1) She has no talent

2) She's not terribly bright

Posted by: DBC001 | February 16, 2011 10:46 AM | Report abuse

We can all learn from her. More of us should try incubating in our eggs for a few days.

It is the way of the future. It is what They want for us.

Posted by: justanothercrusader | February 16, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Considering she emerged fully made up for stage lights and in costume, I highly doubt she was in that thing for 72 hours. Her make up alone would not have looked so perfect after that long.

Posted by: epjd | February 16, 2011 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I look to the stars and the answer is clear
I look in the mirror and see what I fear

Posted by: DerekSmalls | February 16, 2011 11:16 AM | Report abuse

This begs the question of what happens to Lady Gaga after she's been buried in the egg for a hundred years.

I'm betting Freddie Mercury hatches.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 16, 2011 12:18 PM | Report abuse

I find it hard to believe that she went 72 hours without being photographed.

Posted by: kabuki3 | February 16, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I was listening to the Seacrest show live yesterday when Gaga was on and it was VERY CLEAR that she was kidding when she said she was in the egg for 72 hours.
And yes she sure is dumb, I mean she has only made more money in the last 2 years then 99% of us will make in our lifetimes. Wow, that is stupid.

Posted by: Iowahoosier | February 16, 2011 12:25 PM | Report abuse

LADY GAGA AND CHRISTINA AGUILLERA! DOES ONE NEED MORE PROOF OF THE DUMBING DOWN OF THE USA.

WHAT LADY GAGA NEEDS IS AN OVER-NIGHT DATE WITH EITHER CHARLIES SHEEN OR SILVIO BERLUSCONI.

Posted by: fregameeate | February 16, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

ZenithOClock, it's such a fine line between stupid, and clever.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | February 16, 2011 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Lady Gaga was in the egg for only 72 hours before she hatched? That may be a record for the shortest gestation period ever! Does anyone know whether this finally resolves the question of which came first?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 16, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

The egg came from the eggplant.

Posted by: kabuki3 | February 16, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The mad shouter up there raises an interesting idea with his CHARLIES SHEEN typo.

Imagine pitching this show idea to the networks (okay, really just CBS):

A Charlie's Angels remake starring Charlie Sheen as a mister of a Nevada brothel. Along the way, he partakes of his employees' services, drinks and gambles.

Probably not different enough from Two and Half Men, but still.

Posted by: MStreet1 | February 16, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse