Posted at 1:05 PM ET, 02/16/2011

Liam Neeson opens up about losing wife Natasha Richardson

By Liz Kelly

(Esquire)

In the March issue of Esquire, Liam Neeson opens up to writer Tom Chiarella about his life since losing wife Natasha Richardson two years ago in a tragic skiing accident. The man is, understandably, sad and still somewhat lost. Despite his return to work immediately after her death, he says the loss still hits him when he least expects it.

"It's just extraordinary," says Neeson, referring to the depth of his pain.

The entire heartbreaking article is worth a read. But, we've included a few particlarly poignant excerpts after the jump...

On arriving at the hospital after Richardson's accident:

"I walked into the emergency — it's like seventy, eighty people, broken arms, black eyes, all that — and for the first time in years, nobody recognizes me. Not the nurses. The patients. No one. And I've come all this way, and they won't let me see her ... So I get there, just in time. And all these young doctors, who look all of eighteen years of age, they tell me the worst." He purses his lips, mouth dry. "The worst."

On his return to work:

"But it's kind of a no-brainer to go back to that work. It's a wee bit of a blur, but I know the tragedy hadn't just really smacked me yet. I think I survived by running away some. Running away to work."

On life without Richardson:

"It hits you in the middle of the night — well, it hits me in the middle of the night. I'm out walking. I'm feeling quite content. And it's like suddenly, boom. It's like you've just done that in your chest." Here Neeson reaches out and twists both hands in opposite directions, like he's corkscrewing two ends of a soda can, reaches toward me so it's clear: This is in his chest.

Source: Esquire

By Liz Kelly  | February 16, 2011; 1:05 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities  | Tags:  Liam Neeson, Natasha Richardson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lady Gaga: I was in the egg for 72 hours
Next: 'House's' Lisa Edelstein speaks up for 'Right to Choose'

Comments

Wednesday love to Liam, support to him in his pain.
He has always seemed like a genuine person, I've admired him for that.
And now, as then, so sorry for your loss.

Posted by: agog1 | February 16, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

You're not alone. I still miss my dad. It's been 7 years and it especially hits me on Sunday afternoons when we used to lounge around together watching baseball or NFL games. And I've never once sat in his chair either. I don't mind if others do when they visit, but for some reason I can't bring myself to.

Posted by: brewstercounty | February 16, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

My heartfelt sincere sympathy to Mr. Neeson. It would be easy to say "I know exactly how you feel" - but that is not true. Circumstances surrounding the loss of a loved one just are not the same. After losing my dear husband of 45 years, the 'welling up' and bursting forth in tearful cries just did not leave me for at least 2 years. The emptiness I feel still lives with me.

Posted by: rbsher | February 16, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

:'-(

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 16, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm not going to read the rest of this now, because I don't want to burst into tears at my desk. Oh man. What a horrible thing to happen to such a wonderful person. I wish him and all Ms. Richardson's family peace.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 16, 2011 2:52 PM | Report abuse

rbsher, Wednesday love from the gang at the virtual Tiki Bar on Lizard Island. (Liz-ard, get it, for Liz Kelly?). Every case is different, but pain is still pain.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 16, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

One day I went skiing and on an icy, narrow steep mountain trail lost it and fell hard, smacking my head on the ice. I wasn't just dazed, I was near-comatose. Luckily it just cleared up and after a few hours I was fine.

Then I read about not one but many stories like this.

Kinda goes to show, this is a known issue yet they still let people ski off on icy trails.

Then you read about people who go off trail into the trees and are found a week later at the base of a big one.

Posted by: tokenwhitemale | February 16, 2011 3:46 PM | Report abuse

There's this in an interview with Natasha's mother, Vanessa Redgrave, currently appearing in a revival of "Driving Miss Daisy" with James Earl Jones:

"She arrived at the interview wearing a New York Knicks T-shirt that, she volunteered, was a gift from one of her grandsons — the children of her daughter Natasha Richardson and Liam Neeson. This is Ms. Redgrave’s first return to Broadway since the death of Ms. Richardson after a skiing accident in 2009, as well as the deaths last spring of Ms. Redgrave’s sister, Lynn, and brother, Corin.

"Gentle inquiries about her grandsons and about how she was doing in the face of her losses drew a long, silent stare from Ms. Redgrave’s blue eyes. Every second of silence seemed to choke oxygen from the questions lingering in the air. Finally she chose three words that seemed plain enough, yet had a distinct ring.

"'That’s my business," Ms. Redgrave said."

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 16, 2011 4:02 PM | Report abuse

tokenwhitemale, do your homework before bloviating here. Natasha Richardson was not off skiing in some remote spot, she was a relative novice, in a seemingly safe place, having just taken a ski lesson.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 16, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Sadness and tragedy. Wishing him and his family peace.

Posted by: cfow1 | February 17, 2011 9:18 AM | Report abuse