Posted at 9:28 AM ET, 02/17/2011

Rolling Stone wants us to know Justin Bieber's opinion on abortion, Korea and other stuff

By Liz Kelly

I've asked my 16-year-old nephew about matters of import and, aside from the 98 percent of the time when he has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, his pronouncements come off as ill-informed sanctimony tinged with a healthy dose of naiveté and a dash of parroting whatever his parents think. Which is why I would never sit my nephew down for an interview, ask him about stuff like health care and abortion and then publish those quotes here.

Granted, my nephew is not Justin Bieber, so maybe Rolling Stone is absolutely right to have published the Bieb's musings on all of the above and more. Since he's got a lot of money and a trademark haircut, he's probably way more qualified than the average teenager. Somehow, we're thinking his publicist called in sick the day this interview was done and is now looking for work.

Some choice quotes after the jump...

On pre-marital sex:
"I don't think you should have sex with anyone unless you love them."

On his biggest market:
"You guys [Americans] are evil. Canada's the best country in the world. We go to the doctor and we don't need to worry about paying him, but here, your whole life, you're broke because of medical bills. My bodyguard's baby was premature, and now he has to pay for it. In Canada, if your baby's premature, he stays in the hospital as long as he needs to, and then you go home."

On political belief systems:
"I'm not sure about the parties. But whatever they have in Korea, that's bad."

On the abortion debate:
"I really don't believe in abortion. It's like killing a baby."

Even in cases of rape?
"Um. Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."

Source: Rolling Stone

By Liz Kelly  | February 17, 2011; 9:28 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Justin Bieber  | Tags:  Justin Bieber
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adrianne Palicki is Wonder Woman; bidding farewell to Len Lesser, aka Uncle Leo
Next: Channing Tatum gets drunk, loses his cellphone and giggles like a girl in awesome GQ profile

Comments

what an incompetent twit! I know teenagers that are well more rounded that this kiddo. "Everything happens for a reason"?! OMG. This kid just makes my hair straight with fury.

Posted by: ileschinder | February 17, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

He sounds like a 16-year-old, except for the "you guys are evil" part, when he sounds like a Canadian.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 17, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Please, don't start offending all well rounded, respectful and educated 16-year-olds out there. Yes, they may look aloof and not be as engaging as we would like but they are not stupid. Nobody in that age range would say "Everything happens for a reason" when you are talking rape and abortion issues. Couldn't he say "I don't know" or "I'm too young" or "I haven't thought it through, yet"?!

Posted by: ileschinder | February 17, 2011 10:27 AM | Report abuse

...so I'll just mark you down as a "thumbs-up" that Esperanza Spalding won that Grammy, then.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 17, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

good to see the Beib with a strong stance on Laplace's Demon... and just as he's destined to be sad, i'm destined to not care.

Posted by: quintiliusvarus | February 17, 2011 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I just hope that he wraps it up EVERYTIME he. um, "love's" them. If this child has a personal educator on the road, I hope that person is including comprehensive sex ed into the curriculum.

Posted by: MzFitz | February 17, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Agreed, these aren't good questions. Asking people's opinion on abortion opens them up to criticism no matter what the answer. It's a divisive subject and creates unnecessary friction.

Posted by: bsumner | February 17, 2011 2:44 PM | Report abuse

OMG! OMG! OMG! JB for prez in like 2011!!!!

Posted by: I-270Exit1 | February 17, 2011 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Why would anyone ask him stuff like this? Did the interviewer really think that the Bieb's fans wanted to know his position on abortion or health care? An adult would've known to smile sweetly and say 'no comment', where WAS his publicist that day?

Posted by: onlytheshadowknows1 | February 17, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Vulture is reporting that the online transcript of the interview omitted part of the quote. Which seems to soften his stance to some extent- the original quote I saw didn't have "I don't know how that would be a reason." in the middle.
Was that the original quote on here, or did I miss it on the first read-through?

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 17, 2011 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Candy Crowley on CNN said "should a 16-year-old really have been asked such a complex question on abortion ?"

The answer he gave... no liberal, nor Democrat nor Candy Crowley could give...

They would wax eloquently or self-consciously about "a clump of cells" or a "fetus".. about "terminating an unwanted pregnancy" but they could never say a simple truth... a simple truth uttered by a 16-year-old boy...

"It's like killing a baby."

Posted by: pvilso24 | February 18, 2011 9:43 PM | Report abuse