Posted at 2:42 PM ET, 02/17/2011

Sarah Jessica Parker can't help but wonder why anyone wants to make a 'Sex and the City' prequel

By Jen Chaney

Sarah Jessica Parker, not cool with young Carrie. (Warner Bros.)

Sarah Jessica Parker is anti-"Sex and the City" prequel.

"I was like, Wha-a-a-a-t?'" she tells the Los Angeles Times of her reaction to online rumors about Blake Lively perhaps playing a 19-year-old version of Carrie Bradshaw. (For the record, according to our poll on this subject, Dakota Fanning might be an even more popular choice.)

"I don't begrudge any 21-year-old the opportunity to tell their stories," Parker adds. "They prove to us on an everyday basis that they're interesting. Even their narcissism is interesting. Even their inertia is interesting. Even their tonal speech patterns are interesting. ... But I don't think we can pretend to go back. It's creating two histories. It's like, 'Oh, I didn't know that about Carrie Bradshaw.' "

In addition to her tongue-in-cheek commentary about the 21-year-old set -- which totally reminds me of this episode of "Sex and the City" -- Parker also suggests that in the future she wouldn't rule out a third "SATC" movie, something she has implied in the past.

"I think there's one more story to tell. I know there is," she says.

Wait, is it the story about how Carrie gets mad at Big again for buying an awesome TV?

In any case, Parker sounds content to put more "Sex" on the back burner, especially since she's currently shooting the adaptation of "I Don't Know How She Does It." But if there really is a third story to tell, what is it? And would you -- the moviegoers who were subjected to the Abu Dhabi-tastrophe that was "Sex and the City 2" -- pay to see a third installment in the cougar-quartet franchise?

[Source: L.A. Times's 24 Frames, via Vulture]

By Jen Chaney  | February 17, 2011; 2:42 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Movies
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Channing Tatum gets drunk, loses his cellphone and giggles like a girl in awesome GQ profile
Next: Britney Spears debuts 'Hold It Against Me' video/infomercial

Comments

No. I said "no" to all three movies, I said "no" to the TV series, I say "no" to a prequel, I say "no" to a spin-off, a ripoff, a remake, and most certainly to a 3D version of old camel face and her sagging friends.

Posted by: kabuki3 | February 17, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

That was really snarky of her. I do agree that a prequel would be tres weird, but why put down a whole age group? We all knew Parker couldn't play the role cuz, well, just look at the pictures. I watch the movies when they come to tv, but I do think that people will buy tickets for movie number 3.

Posted by: forgetthis | February 17, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't think they would be able to do one cohesive movie on all four characters. Granted, I didn't see the second sequel, so I don't know if this is true, but I heard that it explained how the women met. If it did, then I'm looking forward to it being on TV, because that was the one thing that bothered me throughout the series - they all went to different schools and worked in different fields, so I had no idea how they wound up so tight.

Therefore, I don't think Carrie at 21 would know any of the other women yet.

Posted by: Aloe9678 | February 17, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Yes!!! Bring on number 3...I loved the series and I loved the movies!

Posted by: LadyT1 | February 17, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

While I personally liked the second movie, I think there needs to be a third one if only for the sheer fact that they can't end this epic series in the failure that most people thought the second movie was. It's a lot like Rocky -- Rocky Balboa was a much more respectful way to say goodbye to the beloved characters than Rocky V. As for the prequel, if they did it with actual, unknown teenagers and told the story of the TV Carrie rather than the Carrie in the novels, I think it could be interesting. It would just need to be true to SJP's Carrie and not reinvent her.

Posted by: elle2452 | February 17, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Best SATC2 review I ever saw, via Twitter: "SACT2: No sex, no city."

Posted by: xshelteringskyx | February 17, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Sex and the City: Big Begins

Posted by: Potter2 | February 17, 2011 7:34 PM | Report abuse

for sex, i need to say "safer sex". Since there are over 7 million STD users at STDromance site

Posted by: herpesfinder | February 17, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: herpesfinder | February 17, 2011 8:41 PM | Report abuse

The third movie might as well be called "The Golden Girls."

Posted by: taonima2000 | February 17, 2011 11:17 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine a more useless function in life than being a "celebritologist."

Posted by: dogwolf | February 17, 2011 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I can't imagine a more useless function in life than being a "celebritologist."

Posted by: dogwolf | February 17, 2011 11:31 PM

Really? How about being a spammer for an STD dating site? Or a poster who takes the time to complain about a blog by posting on the blog?

Posted by: MStreet1 | February 18, 2011 9:12 AM | Report abuse