Posted at 1:25 PM ET, 02/ 8/2011

See Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher; 'Glee' goes back on tour; Tom Hanks joins Oscar presenters

By Jen Chaney

Meryl Streep as the former prime minister. (Alex Bailey via Film School Rejects)

A few of the pop culture stories currently on our radar...

Check out the first glimpse of Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady," the film she's shooting in London. She makes the hair work, doesn't she? (The Hollywood Reporter and Film School Rejects)

The cast of "Glee" is hitting the road again; the "Glee: Live!" tour will kick off May 21 in Las Vegas. (New York Times -- Arts Beat)

Tom Hanks will present at this year's Oscars, joining a long list of Academy Award trophy distributors that includes Hugh Jackman, Oprah Winfrey, Sandra Bullock, Jeff Bridges, Annette Bening and Robert Downey Jr. (The Academy)

Speaking of the Oscars, would you pay $5 to watch behind-the-scenes streaming video from the Academy Awards? The Academy hopes you will. (Entertainment Weekly)

Melissa Leo rises to her own defense, and Little Vader meets Big Vader, after the jump...

And speaking further of Oscar, Melissa Leo defends her "For Your Consideration" ads, noting that "This entire awards process to some degree is about pimping yourself out." (Starpulse)

The release date for Mel Gibson's "The Beaver" has been pushed back again, this time to the purportedly more attractive May 6. Could this be the early sleeper hit of the summer or more damage control? Or will audiences just not give a dam? (Sorry, I knew that was bad but couldn't stop it from happening.) (New York Magazine's Vulture)

Video: Max Page, aka Little Vader, meets James Earl Jones, the voice of Darth Vader. Jones refrains from telling Page that he finds his lack of faith disturbing.

By Jen Chaney  | February 8, 2011; 1:25 PM ET
Categories:  Awards Season, Daily Mix, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Justin Bieber 'Real Hairstyle' doll freaks us out only a little bit
Next: Paul Haggis on leaving Scientology: 'I was in a cult for thirty-four years'

Comments

Wow, Meryl Streep is owning the 80s hair there. Not bad.

Oh, hell. I sincerely hope that they push the release date back at least one more time, because I would really, really hate to have "The Beaver" released on my birthday. Talk about spoiling your weekend.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 8, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Bawlmer doesn't want The Beaver to open on her birthday weekend.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID.

Posted by: byoolin1 | February 8, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

If there were a "like" available, I would have "liked" byoolin's comment a kajillion times!

like, like, like, like, like.....

Posted by: BMore_Cat_Lover | February 8, 2011 3:05 PM | Report abuse

For the record: no, I will not pay for streaming backstage video at the Academy Awards. I don't plan to watch the disaster. Mega-fail of ignoring Gran Torino compounded by, oh, so much this year.

Posted by: cfow1 | February 8, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

@byoolin: D'OHHHHHHHH! I would shake my fist, but I would have done the same thing in that situation.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 9, 2011 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I would also like to clarify that's it's not "The Beaver" I dislike so much as the fact that Mel Gibson is involved. The man exudes creeper these days.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 9, 2011 9:11 AM | Report abuse