Posted at 11:15 PM ET, 02/ 6/2011

Super 8, Captain America and more: Assessing the Super Bowl movie teasers

By Jen Chaney

As promised, Super Bowl LXV provided the perfect platform for hyping a number of high profile movies, including "Super 8," "Captain America," "Cowboys & Aliens," "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" and others.

So which blockbuster commercial looked the most promising? Let's take a look at a few, then rank them via a convenient online poll.

At the risk of influencing your vote, I must state the following: the trailer for "Super 8" -- which finally showed us an eensy bit more footage from J.J. Abrams Spielbergian epic, yet somehow managed to reveal nothing about the extra-terrestrially focused plot -- made me even more tingly with anticipation for that June 10 release. And based on Internet reaction, I was not alone.

The trailer for "Captain America" -- which gave us a glimpse at Chris Evans's transformation from soldier Steve Rogers to engineered superhero -- also amped up my curiosity a bit.

But the trailer for "Thor," another Marvel title, was a little generic.

"Cowboys & Aliens" made good on its title's promise to show us both cowboys, as well as aliens.

Of the two Johnny Depp projects hyped during the big game -- "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides"...

... and "Rango," I found myself more excited about the animated Western that stars a chameleon.

The "Kung Fu Panda 2" trailer made my son giggie. So I guess that counts as a mission accomplished.

There were massive amounts of explosions in the preview of "Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon." Which was a *huge* surprise.

And "Drive Angry" was, um, non-descript.

A few clips have been left out, but these are more or less biggies. So which one was the best? Rank them below.

By Jen Chaney  | February 6, 2011; 11:15 PM ET
Categories:  Movies, Pop Culture
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: #prayforjustin to save us from a dull Friday afternoon
Next: Christina Aguilera botches national anthem at Super Bowl

Comments

Awesome, Printapons saves me time and money! You can see the coupons instantly and don't have to search for ones.

Posted by: nicolwright | February 7, 2011 6:00 AM | Report abuse

There was a strong alien theme afoot last night. Me, I am plannign to see Cowboys and Aliens. Yee haw qzbrpfth.

Posted by: kbockl | February 7, 2011 8:58 AM | Report abuse

"Cowboys and Aliens" certainly wins the prize for truth in advertising. Kinda like "Snakes on a Plane" ....

Posted by: SilverSpringer1 | February 7, 2011 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"Cowboys and Aliens", definitely; that looks like some good times.

I am excited about "Captain America", but I'm a big ol' fangirl for Cap, so I'm probably biased. I do think they did a good job of bringing in the things that make people really like the character.

I think "Super 8" is definitely the front-runner here, though; it succeeded in getting me interested in the film, which I guess is the point of any trailer. Plus Spieldberg, man, you can feel the quality.

Looks like a busy summer for us nerds. I'm excited.

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 7, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

When the Super 8 trailer came on the folks at my superbowl party said "are they making an ET remake?" That kind of tainted it for me.

Posted by: sjcpeach | February 7, 2011 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Last night I saw a trailer for a movie (I forget which one) that's not opening until JULY! How ridiculous.

P.S. Jen, I thought the "Rango" trailer was adorable too, and besides what's not to like about Johnny Dep, even in V/O?

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 7, 2011 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sjcpeach
______________

I had a bit of the same thought -- Not that it was a remake, but that the aliens looked a lot like ET.

Posted by: DCLocal20 | February 7, 2011 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sjcpeach | February 7, 2011 9:26 AM
******************************

peach: I don't even know you, yet it seems we were at the same SB Party....

Posted by: klaw009x | February 7, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse