Posted at 4:22 PM ET, 02/28/2011

Until we meet again...

By Liz Kelly

I'm not big on goodbyes, so I'll keep this short.

Exactly five years ago -- the day after the 2006 Academy Awards -- Celebritology burst into life on washingtonpost.com. I'm not sure where those five years went, but a lot has happened. Mel Gibson became a bad guy. Michael Jackson, Anna Nicole Smith, Heath Ledger and far too many others died far too young. Tom Cruise married Katie Holmes. Britney Spears went country nuts, then made a major comeback. Lindsay Lohan (need I say more?).

The blog has gone places I never anticipated (a glossary?), places I miss very much ("Lost") and has experienced a much-needed renaissance since Jen, already a friend, joined me as a blogging partner last year.

My life, too, has changed in the past five years. I have more gray hair. I actually watch "Idol" now (clearly, I'm no longer any kind of hipster) and I became a mom. And many of you have been by my side through all of it. I'm not sure there are words for how much I love you guys and how much I'll miss our time here together. All I can say is that although the Internet is a big place, I won't be that hard to find.

To the regular readers -- Byoolin, EPJD, Sasquatch and the rest -- thank you for adding your own flavor to this concoction. It would not have been the same without you.

I'll stop yammering on here and give you what you really want: Pictures of Andy (and the rest of the family)...

goodbye_pic.jpg

Keep in touch,

- Liz

By Liz Kelly  | February 28, 2011; 4:22 PM ET
Categories:  Housekeeping  | Tags:  Buh-Byes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Academy Awards red carpet: Seeking equilibrium in the midst of glamour-madness
Next: Oscar party scene: Hitting the Governor's Ball and the Elton John party

Comments

Good luck Liz! Thank you for making our days a little more snarky and delicious.

/wanders off humming "We'll...meet again...don't know where, don't know wheeeeennnn..."

Posted by: Bawlmer51 | February 28, 2011 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for making me feel young again! Enjoy the lovely California sunshine.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 28, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Wait, what? Why?
What will i do to my computer on-celebritology-coffee-emails?

Posted by: ileschinder | February 28, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Sayonara, Liz. In the strange and wonderful world of cyber-space kinship, your messages, cat photos and irrepressible blog postings from the urbane world of the Washington Post have filtered to my mundane cube in Iowa and made so many of my days brighter. Please let us know when you have a niche in LA and we can bookmark the spot--don't want to lose track of you. All best wishes to you, Mr. Liz, Baby Des, Paige, Opie and, of course, the incomparable Andy.

Posted by: madams712 | February 28, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Celebritologist Emerita!

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | February 28, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Aww Liz, you made me cry.

You've been there for us too. I got through bar study and the bar exam itself, starting my own law practice and a lot of other things thanks to you and all the Lizards.

You will always be our Queen Liz.

Posted by: epjd | February 28, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I miss you already, Liz. Booby Kennedy Days just won't be the same without you.

Posted by: yellojkt | February 28, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

It is sad to hear reports that Jane Russell passed away. A glorious woman with a great career. She will be missed.

Posted by: leontchaikovsky | February 28, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Liz, I'm always good for a round at the Tiki Bar. Happy Trails.

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | February 28, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe you're leaving me. WAAAH

But seriously though. Good luck in LA with your new job and life out there.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | February 28, 2011 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Liz! Good luck!

Posted by: MzFitz | February 28, 2011 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for adding yet aaaanother bookmark to my 'puter. See you on Zap2it!

Posted by: duhneese | February 28, 2011 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Congrats, good luck and you'll be missed!!

Posted by: Guest1234 | February 28, 2011 9:51 PM | Report abuse

What?!???! Had you announced this and I missed it? How did that happen? You are moving to California? and what, there's no telecommuting for a blog? Waaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
This is a jolt. Oh nuts, I'm just sitting here speechless. And teary.
Well, thank you Liz, thank you thank you. Have a wonderful time wherever you are going, whatever you are doing. I suppose just because you aren't writing the blog doesn't mean you can't comment in it? So, where on the web will we find you?
Speaking of people leaving, anyone know where Reddragon went off to? Haven't seen him lately...
Liz, thanks again, and joy to you always.
Cheers,
agog

Posted by: agog1 | March 1, 2011 6:57 AM | Report abuse

You broke new ground with this blog, Liz, AND kept Gene in check over at Funny for as long as you could, too. Godspeed - you have a long and wonderful life ahead of you. No need to spend it all in this little box!

Posted by: kbockl | March 1, 2011 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Sad to see you go, Liz, but sure you'll do great things in LA. Best of luck out there! And don't be a stranger!

Posted by: franchiseinATL | March 1, 2011 8:45 AM | Report abuse

We'll miss you! It was your snark that got me interested in this kind of news. Now, sadly, I know who Snooki is.

Posted by: DCCubefarm | March 1, 2011 9:01 AM | Report abuse

bon voyage, lizzie. long-time reader, thrid or fourth time poster. didn't know you were leaving, and am sad to see you go (wherever that is). hasta luego.

Posted by: the_nap | March 1, 2011 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the memories. Sorry we didn't get to have that last weekly chat after all but celebritology must go on. Best to you and your fam.

Posted by: sjcpeach | March 1, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Awww! I'm happy for you and your family, but you will certainly be missed! We should have a Booby Kennedy Day parade in your honor! Seriously, I have enjoyed making celebritology part of my day for the last several years. I landed here through "Lost" and have never left. Thanks so much for everything.

All the best to you and your family. And don't be a stranger. (*whispers* You can always come back to this island!)

Posted by: rachelt2 | March 1, 2011 9:37 AM | Report abuse

mercy! I missed a memo!

Good bye, Queen Liz! Thank you for your excellent work through the years. Much success in your new professional ventures and great joy in your most important venture, raising an awesome kiddo.

Blessings,
methinks

Posted by: pras40 | March 1, 2011 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Yeah somehow I missed this news too.

This makes me :-(, but I know you'll do well in whatever you do & yes, you're always welcome at the Tiki Bar on the island (that translates as "comment here once in a while).

Thanks for the Lost commentaries, I couldn't have made it through the show without youse guys!!

Not that Jen isn't capable of runnin' the place without ya, but this was your baby first..I gotta stop typing now, gettin' all misty at work.

Good luck & stay in touch!!

Posted by: wadejg | March 1, 2011 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Liz - I didn't post much, but I've been reading Celebritology since the beginning. Best wishes to you and your family, and hope to see you post here occasionally. After all, California is not very far away at all in the cyberworld.

P.S. A child named Sawyer Jack was baptized at my church recently. Perhaps he & your Desmond will meet someday in their travels.

Posted by: mat00 | March 1, 2011 11:01 AM | Report abuse

WHAT??????

OH NO!!!!!!

Can I come with you????

Smooches and thanks,

Curmudgeon

Posted by: bmschumacher | March 1, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Mostly a lurker for your tenure, but have made Celebritology part of my day almost every day since you began. Best of luck - will def. follow you on Z2I!

Posted by: daytripper | March 1, 2011 10:54 PM | Report abuse