Posted at 2:35 AM ET, 03/ 2/2011

Lindsay Lohan does first post-rehab interview and sounds remarkably self-aware

By Jen Chaney

Lindsay Lohan has given her first post-rehab interview to Extra. In it, she sounds contrite, self-aware and focused on turning around her career. No, seriously, she does.

During the brief appearance, the first of two parts, the actress talks about her focus on maintaining sobriety and her desire to get back on a movie set. She realizes, however, that the second goal won't be achievable until she can convince filmmakers and casting directors that she's insurable again.

"I think that will come in time, where I'll be in the position to say that," she said, "because I don't think I am right now."

"I don't want that to be what I'm known for anymore, the tabloid stuff," she later added. "I don't want that."

Honestly, despite the fact that she's facing potential jail time in that grand larceny case, this could not be a smarter time for Lohan to speak to the media. Compared to Charlie Sheen, almost anything she says seems more in touch with reality. Even with that caveat, though, she comes across here as someone who is genuinely attempting to take the steps to get better. Do you agree?

Vote in the poll below, or post a comment, to weigh in.

By Jen Chaney  | March 2, 2011; 2:35 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Lindsay Lohan
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Charlie Sheen has arrived on Twitter
Next: Charlie Sheen: Does he win any points for honesty?

Comments

I was drinking for 21 years. every day and every night. 21 solid years. Never missed a day. Now I have been clean since Dec. 30, 2008. I can't tell how great I feel to have the monkey off my back. I still battle the mental desire to get wasted every afternoon but the physical need is gone - the addiction part. Good job for LL. The hard part is every day you may be haunted by the ghost of past excess.

Posted by: boise91801 | March 2, 2011 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, boise!

Posted by: lhess | March 2, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Only time will tell whether LiLo's sobriety takes hold this time or not, or whether it's just another act. For her sake, I hope it's for real and that it lasts.

Best wishes to boise91801 and keep up the good work, my friend, one day at a time. Nosy P.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | March 2, 2011 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Good job, boise91801. Keep it going!

Posted by: pgomes | March 2, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope for her sake, she manages to stay sober. She's not completely lacking in talent and could have a nice career.

Posted by: LittleRed1 | March 2, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Just remember they can play character roles real easy. Addiction is no joke. An addict will do anything to take the focus off of them. Lindsey needs a lot of help. Not that so called Hollywood treatment.

Posted by: reggie7 | March 2, 2011 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh please... she'll say anything to get on someone's movie list. When she actually starts living every day like she's sober and stays off TMZ and out of the news due to poor behavior, I'll believe she's changed. She's had many more chances than most of us every would get.

Posted by: mika_england | March 2, 2011 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Before she became a tabloid joke, she was a talented ACTOR. Who can act.

And is no doubt acting.

She looks more and more like her mom each day. That's not a compliment.

Posted by: Californian11 | March 2, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse