Posted at 1:49 PM ET, 03/ 6/2011

On Funny or Die, Katie Couric investigates the sillies

By Jen Chaney

In a Funny or Die clip that will likely cause intense debate in newsrooms and Journalism 101 classes across the country, Katie Couric launches an investigation into whether or not it's possible to "shake your sillies out."

She goes deep into the hallways of an elementary school in search of answers. And reporters will probably look deeply into their souls as a result, asking questions like: is it OK for a respected newswoman to appear in a Funny or Die clip? Is it appropriate for CBS News to use its branding on what is clearly a satirical viral video? Is CBS attempting to be both a beacon of journalistic integrity and The Onion?

I don't have the answers, but I do have the video. Watch it below.

By Jen Chaney  | March 6, 2011; 1:49 PM ET
Categories:  Pop Culture, Viral Video
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: About this blog -- updated
Next: Weekend box office: 'Rango' wrangles top spot

Comments

That's very funny. I have no problem with what Katie Couric or CBS did.

Posted by: tom_ryan | March 6, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The only question many people have is when will CBS finally replace her?

Posted by: Desertdiva1 | March 6, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Check out http://lmfaovids.com for some funny videos updated daily

Posted by: gsac | March 6, 2011 2:36 PM | Report abuse

We've been waiting for five years for Couric to shake her sillies out - it's time for CBS (Couric's Bull Sh**) to figure out that it won't.
Cronkite would weep.

Posted by: htimothyjones1 | March 6, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Great fun. But the talent scouts in Hollywood should be fighting over the teacher.

Posted by: LeighOats | March 6, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I didn't at all like this story. I have liked Katie Couric since she first began on The Today Show. I love her journalistic expertise and style. I had hoped she would be successful as the CBS evening news anchor but she has not quite seemed to fit since beginning there and this news feature is an almost perfect rendition of her time as anchor there. You want to like it / her but somehow it just doesn't fit. Sorry Katie. I truly hope she can find another path that works better.

Posted by: Nina1908 | March 6, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Katie, if this CBS thing ends, you are a natural for The Daily Show. This was worthy of Sam Bee. Trot the sillies out more often.

Posted by: sue1047 | March 6, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Dear CBS: Being silly when one's trying to be silly sure beats being silly when one's trying to be serious. Please permit CBS Evening News to have further episodes along the same lines.

Go for the jocular vein, perhaps once a fortnight or once a month. But with great care. Successful, inoffensive humor is a serious business.

Posted by: LeighOats | March 6, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

After J-School, 40 years with ABC, CBS, Clear Channel and others, I thought I would watch this--and then, go up on top of a tall building with a rifle.

Wrong. I'm fine with it.

Posted by: silentjay | March 6, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

When did Katie Couric become a newswoman rather than a TV personality?

Posted by: rebecca81 | March 6, 2011 7:32 PM | Report abuse

There's no chance that anything involving Couric would be mistaken for journalism.

Posted by: thebump | March 6, 2011 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Hi cutie, Could you hit me up on--- RichFlirts.C'om---
A dating club for successful, beautiful people.
I am a smart&pretty gal. seeking a sweet man.
pls Check out my username myshine,serious...

Posted by: greensophia88 | March 6, 2011 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Now I thought this piece was going to be about her investigating the GOP's 2012 presidential candidates. Was so surprised that wasn't the case!

Posted by: mtolincoln | March 6, 2011 10:08 PM | Report abuse