About Channel '08  |  Blog Partner: PrezVid.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed  (What's RSS?)

Obama Crush ... With Eyeliner

We thought the song of the summer was Rihanna's inspired and inescapable "Um-brel-la, ella, ella, eh, eh, eh ..."

Boy were we wrong.

It seems that "I Got a Crush ... on Obama," a music video posted on YouTube yesterday by "barelypolitical," a.k.a. Obama Girl, should easily take the cake (watch the video below).

In her best barely-there, breathy voice, the leggy and curvy Obama Girl starts with the song with: "Hey, B, it's me. I was just watching you on C-Span." (Umm, who knew C-Span could be such a come-on?)

Alternately dressed in a bikini, some very short shorts and a tight white-and-pink top that reads "I GOT A CRUSH ON OBAMA," she pole dances on a subway stop, sings to a stranger on a park bench and gets on top of an office desk and starts dropping it like it's hot. Lyrics include such gems as: "You're into border security. Let's break this border between you and me ... Universal health care reform, it makes me warm ... You can Barack me tonight . . ."

And, for the girls, there's the much circulated photo of a squinting, shirtless Obama baking under the sun.

As it happens, the video came from BarelyPolitical.com (the subhead reads: "George Bush didn't do a very good job"), which was registered through the GoDaddy.com domain service (yes, the same GoDaddy.com of the bra-strap breaking SuperBowl commercials, not that GoDaddy has anything to do with Barelypolitical.com's content). The song was sung by Leah Kauffman, a recent Temple University grad, who co-wrote the lyrics with Ben Relles, who's hawking "Obamagirl" and "I Got a Crush on Obama" T-shirts on BarelyPolitical.com. (FYI, a women's cap sleeve tee with the smiling mug of Obama goes for $20.99.)

Kauffman and Relles, both Obama supporters, are pros at this. They previously collaborated on a "Saturday Night Live" spoof of Justin Timberlake's now infamous SNL in-a-box sketch. The Obama music video, they tell us, was a low-budget affair, shot with a DV camera using a model/actress who Kauffman and Relles found on, where else? Craigslist.

In case you didn't notice, she's lip-synching her way to the tune... very Britney indeed.

Eat your heart out, Rihanna!

-- Jose Antonio Vargas

By washingtonpost.com Editors |  June 14, 2007; 9:44 AM ET Barack Obama , YouTube
Previous: Participating in the YouTube Debate | Next: CNN/YouTube Debate: The Best of The Questions So Far

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Nauseating.

Posted by: cab91 | June 14, 2007 10:45 AM

Obama doesn't need this crap because if people start associating his name with anything far from a serious job as governing this country, then we will waste a man with great potential.

Posted by: Jack | June 14, 2007 1:20 PM

Can this blog with video be e-mailed somehow? I'd like to send it to my son at his work for a bit of fun. I loved it!

Posted by: jhbyer | June 14, 2007 1:21 PM

Nice REM reference

Posted by: Anonymous | June 14, 2007 1:39 PM

yawn.

Posted by: jose | June 14, 2007 1:43 PM

sheesh!

Posted by: Rose | June 14, 2007 5:13 PM

Wow, this is why Obama is not electable! Even if he had nothing to do with it people will associate this type of thing with his campaign.

Posted by: mountain man | June 14, 2007 6:40 PM

This wasn't funny or clever enough to be highlighted in national news as it was. The only good part was that the woman behind it isn't sure if she's actually voting for Obama.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 15, 2007 5:51 AM

This video smells of the Hillary team. The creators aren't saying they are Obama supporters and when Leah Kauffman was asked who was the favorite candidate at her college, she said 'Hillary' and 'Obama'. If she was an Obama supporter she would have just said 'Obama'.

By the way Obama just broke another political crowd record in South Carolina. They were expecting 1,000 which would have been good for this area but 5,000 showed up! Go tell Mama, we the people, are for Obama!

Posted by: ri2008 | June 15, 2007 6:25 PM

Lighten up you guys! So maybe it's not newsworthy, but neither are Paris and Brittney. I think it's a hoot.

Posted by: Ellie | June 17, 2007 2:06 PM

New poll shows Obama is the most popular 2008 presidential contender, according to Bloomberg and the LA Times. At least 46% would vote for Obama in head-to-head contests against three Republican nominees.

Obama holds a 5 pt edge over Giuliani, a 12 pt advantage over McCain, and a 16 pt lead over Romney.

Edwards leads Giuliani and Romney, but trails McCain.

Clinton trails all three Republicans.

Posted by: ESR | June 18, 2007 1:50 AM

I liked the video all in all. My instant response was, "Wow !" Both aesthetically and politically. And then, after the media's efforts to push their mediocre theological and conservative biases,or due to their market appetite for the bigger uneducated crowd or their propensity to please the Church mass, I was pursuaded to pause and think of the close-up of the booty shorts. In my second thought, I found, once again, the media and its supposed target audience were proving to be regressive in their denigration of the pop-cultural aura of the "Obama Crush" video clip. Sadly, the media is hegemonically policing, or inadvertently being played upon by the conservative politico-ethical codes, that a presidential candidate has to be above the fray of the pop-culture. With that thought, I resisted the media's critiques and liked the video clip even more and felt pity for the media people who uncritically belittled a serious message like "break this border between you and me," which should have been read as "break the border between politics and pop-culture, or bridge the gap between wisdom and passion, and encourage a greater participation of the often- indifferent youth in the electoral process."

Posted by: Anonymous | July 3, 2007 12:24 PM