About Channel '08  |  Blog Partner: PrezVid.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed  (What's RSS?)

Ad Watch: Kids In Fatigues

Several anti- and pro-war ads are airing nationwide ahead of next week's Congressional hearings and debate on the future of the Iraq war. The pro-war Freedom's Watch group aired several of its ads during the Republican presidential debate Wednesday night on Fox News Channel, and they're also airing on other networks. ( Read more the efforts of Freedom's Watch.)

As for anti-war groups, Americans Against Escalation in Iraq released a provocative new ad Thursday. It features young children in military fatigues, training for war. The ad suggests the kids should be training now, since American forces may still be fighting "an endless civil war" in Iraq when they're old enough to enlist.

There are five versions of the ad: the national version (below), and four others that specifically target Sen. Norm Coleman (R-Minn.), Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), Sen. Pete Domenici (R-N.M.), and Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.)

The 10-day ad buy cost a half a million dollars, according to AAEI spokeswoman Moira Mack.

Thoughts? Leave them in the comments section below.

-- Ed O'Keefe

By Ed O'Keefe |  September 7, 2007; 12:38 PM ET Ad Watch , Campaign Trail , Congress , Issue Ads
Previous: Ad Watch: Richardson's 'Change' AND 'Experience' | Next: McCain: No Surrender

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Powerful, pure genius! Goes the distance without going too far a la the "Daisy" ad, which, though it aired only once due to complaints from conservatives, is credited with defeating Goldwater. We can only hope this ad will be as successful. BTW, YouTube shows "Daisy", widely considered the best political ad ever.

Posted by: jhbyer | September 7, 2007 1:37 PM

Focusing more often on "brown" kids than "black" and "white" wisely serves to undermine Republican distortions of anti-war motivations.

Posted by: jhbyer | September 7, 2007 2:48 PM

The war may have seemed like a good idea back in 2003
(I think that's when it started), but the problem is, there will always be resistance. The war seems virtually un-winnable. We could pull our troops out now, but because of the state that Iraq is in, that would just make things even worse and Iraq would be a haven for terrorism and who knows what else. Should we just gradually pull our troops out or does it matter?

Posted by: shakensparco | September 9, 2007 12:56 AM

Does it matter, says last poster... I imagine it matters to the families of the troops who are getting blown up every day.

Posted by: claudialong | September 10, 2007 10:53 AM

This commercial holds a strong argument. I hope to see an end to the war in my lifetime.

Posted by: Erica | September 10, 2007 3:03 PM

I can't believe it's that time of year again! Election time! Wahoo!! Now we get to watch commercials and ads about how bad opposite political parties are! I am so sick of watching these retarded ads that only put down their opponets! Do they have anyting better to do than to ruin somebody else's career to make their's better? They spend all this money on putting the other perosn down, instead of helping other people! I hate this society. On another note, I do agree that this war needs to end ASAP! I am neither a republican, nor democrat, and I think this war needs to end. It's is ridiculous Bush is killing all these innocent people! For what reason? Why are we still even there? To get Osama? Well, we can pretty much give up on that one and hope that jerk dies! But, why are we there? Wasting millions of dollars we don't have and killing innocent people? And we are supposed to be the "greatest country" in the world. I think these ads are stupid and they need to stop. There is a time and place for everything!

Posted by: Paige | September 10, 2007 10:32 PM

I think this was a very good idea for an ad, however, I think that it will not effect many strong willed Republicans though. Yet I think Democrats will act on this extremely well.

I also think this ad will effect all parents, Democrats and Republicans alike, because no one wants to see their child get enlisted and die in an endless war.

Bring Home the Troops

Posted by: Carissa | September 12, 2007 7:04 PM

They are all traitors! Have you seen this?
Why are these people still in office?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 1:58 PM