About Channel '08  |  Blog Partner: PrezVid.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed  (What's RSS?)

Obama Discusses Father In New Ad

A new Barack Obama ad airing in New Hampshire draws out some personal comments about the senator's past. "Chances I Had" focuses on the senator's education policy proposals, but also manages to make mention of his childhood.

"My parents weren't rich, my father left me when I was very young. The one thing I was able to get was a great education," he says. "Government alone is not going to solve the problem. We need parents to turn off the television, and instill in our children a sense of excellence," he says.

The ad hits Granite State airwaves as the latest CBS News-New York Times poll shows Obama trailing Sen. Hillary Clinton by 15 points. Do you think a brief mention of the senator's childhood in an ad about education can help close the gap? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

-- Ed O'Keefe

By Ed O'Keefe |  November 16, 2007; 9:00 AM ET Ad Watch , Barack Obama
Previous: VoterVid: Republican Debate Questions | Next: And Still Champeen

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Yes of course it can close the gap. Whats the biggest gift we can give to our children more than education? Education is the the strongest key to anyones life. If all parents will think deeply, chew this and stomach it, I think they will understand that Obama hits it and deserves to be their choice.

Posted by: Frida Mulinda | November 16, 2007 1:46 PM

Having lost my dad at the age of three, and raised in the poor section of a large mid-western city, I can see the wisdom of Barack's words. While growing up, many of my friends got into trouble with the law, some even going to prison, it was my mom who kept after me to work hard in school. I also had teachers who were relentless, and refused to let me fail. I retired three years ago, after 38 years of teaching high school, and was one of those relentless teachers for many of my students. Just about every month, I get letters from some of them, especially those who struggled because life dealt them some pretty poor family situations. These letters, thanking me for not giving up on them, make me feel like I have just won the lottery every time I hear from them. Some of my biggest challenges were from their parents, who were reluctant to support my efforts in demanding higher expectations. Obama's message, and his commitment to education, reinforces my belief that Barack Obama will inspire this nation to live up to its promise of greatness once again.

Posted by: Pete, Washington | November 16, 2007 11:14 PM

This is a insightful commercial but also emblamatic of the great organization Obama has created. Right now, we have an administrational that strives on making people fearful and encouraging ignorance. Obama from the start has always asked for all of us to do better, there is our call to action.

Posted by: ellen frost | November 17, 2007 7:23 AM

Yes it helps. It says to us, collectively--- if he can, we can. Barack Obama did not come up on the easy side of the mountain, yet he has made it to the top. This kind of person says so much about the U.S.A. His story is what the world stores in their minds when they think about us at our best. Yes, it helps!

Posted by: Kimmie | November 17, 2007 6:23 PM

He is down 15 points among Democrats but this poll does not take the independents or republicans that will vote for Barack.

Posted by: Doug | November 17, 2007 9:00 PM

What a contrast: In the same news cycle in which HRC and her handlers stepped into the slime with a blind piece of vaporware of alleged scandal about Obama, leaked via Bob Novak -- the same sleaze who did Cheney and Scooter Libby's dirty work on Valerie Plame -- the Obama campaign took the high road on the importance of how we go about recruiting, training and compensating the several million new teachers we need in the next decade.

No wonder HRC only wants planted questions (diamonds or pearls? Hello? The 2.7 million families facing foreclosure are not really worried about that one). Here's what she and Bill should be asked at every stop: When she was on the Board of Directors at Wal-Mart, what did she do personally to try to get health care coverage for Wal-Mart's employees, half of whom will STILL be without coverage when Wal-Mart implements its new plan?

You want to see what the effect of the real HRC is on health care: go into any Wal-Mart and look at the teeth of the people who work there. That's what you get with an entire work force with no dental coverage and not enough pay to afford to go to the dentist. Then ask yourself, if this is the health care she delivered while on the Wal-Mart board, what's she going to actually do as President?

Yes, we need a President who understands what it felt like and how it happened to get an education reared in a single parent home with no money. That would be Barack Obama, not the ex-Goldwater girl who flunked the DC bar for the same reason she voted for the Iraq war while not reading the full intelligence report -- not doing her homework.

Now watch the Clinton campaign, with its union-busting pollster, go really negative on both Obama and Edwards after Thanksgiving.

Hint: the pundits loved her in Las Vegas but the Des Moines Register bloggers are running 8-1 against her (with over 125 comments on David Yepsen's puff piece for her) The DMR commenters have been a very reliable near future bellweather for Iowa polls, where her numbers are going to trend down not up as the impact of her negativity and planted questions sinks in deeper and deeper. Her Iowa Democratic support, such as it is, is from older, blue collar, lower economic/education demographic registered Democrats who SAY they will attend a caucus but over 85 percent of whom have never done so. Now she's pouring in paid staffers from the East Coast and putting husband Bill into Iowa's thinly populated and heavily Republican Western two tiers of counties, while the Obama and Edwards campaigns work Iowa's industrial Eastern side with 2/3 of the state population and 75 percent of Iowa's Democrats.

That level of ineptitude didn't work for Howard Dean four years ago and won't work for her either.

She really is the Democratic Party's new Nixon, with the same phony humor and same phony attempts to be one of the guys.

Posted by: George M. Allen | November 19, 2007 1:20 AM

Mike Huckabee will save you tons a money if you elect him as President.

Benefits you will receive if you vote for Mike Huckabee:

1. He will eliminate the IRS
a. You can take home 100% of your pay.
b. Government reduces spending by $50m/yr
c. Companies return from overseas outsourcing.
d. More jobs become available in America.

2. He will switch to alternative fuels in 10 years.
a. Middle East feels the pressure, drops oil prices.
b. Gas prices drop like a rock saving you thousands.
c. Middle East cracks down on terrorists very hard.
d. The environment improves making air cleaner.

Whether you are Democrat, Republican or in between Independant, all of you would want these benefits. Mike Huckabee is the ONLY canididate willing to make these changes.

Do not let all the other canidates, media and naysayers of negative politics get in the way of you receiving these huge benefits. It's only possible if you vote for Mike Huckabee.

GO MIKE GO!!!!!!!!