About Channel '08  |  Blog Partner: PrezVid.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed  (What's RSS?)

Obama Reaches Out to Republicans and Independents in PA

Barack Obama aired three TV ads in Pennsylvania this weekend, ahead of the state's Monday voter registration deadline. The ads aim to convince younger Democrats, Republicans and independents to register to vote in the Democrats-only primary on April 22nd.

"Carry" has aired in other states, and it highlights Obama's bipartisan work as a member of the Illinois State Senate:

"Opportunity" is a 60-second biographical message, similar to ads he's run in other states. In this ad however, Obama says he was "as an organizer with Christian churches," helping unemployed workers.

"Toughest" tells voters that Obama does not accept gifts or political contributions from lobbyists:

Obama has also aired radio ads aimed at younger Democrats, Republicans, and independents.

-- Ed O'Keefe

By Ed O'Keefe |  March 23, 2008; 8:30 PM ET Barack Obama
Previous: Flashback: Does Michigan Matter to Clinton? | Next: Video Fact-Checking Clinton

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

OBAMA'S NEW PASTOR COMPARES REV. WRIGHT TO JESUS -- CHICAGO -- The new pastor of Barack Obama's church delivered a defiant defense of its retiring reverend Sunday, comparing media coverage of Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. to a modern-day lynching that resembles Jesus' death at the hands of the Romans. In a sunrise Easter sermon, Rev. Otis Moss III implied that his mentor, who has delivered sermons in which he likened the U.S. to the Ku Klux Klan and declared it damned for its "state-sponsored terrorism," is facing the same challenges Jesus did."No one should start a ministry with lynching, no one should end their ministry with lynching," Moss said. "The lynching was national news. The RNN, the Roman News Network, was reporting it and NPR, National Publican Radio had it on the radio. The Jerusalem Post and the Palestine Times all wanted exclusives, they searched out the young ministers, showed up unannounced at their houses, tried to talk with their families, called up their friends, wanted to get a quote on how do you feel about the lynching?" he continued.

Posted by: Fred | March 23, 2008 11:57 PM

I don't know what all the fuss is about Rev Wright's sermons. I don't know anybody who pays that much attention to what the sermons are, or for that matter listens to them at all. The only people who are making a stink of this is the press.

Posted by: Tom- Oakland. CA | March 24, 2008 12:18 AM

How will Obama forge working relationships with Republicans, when he hasn't been able to even temper the raw hated and distain of his own pastor or fellow congregants? If he's such an agent of "change", then why couldn't he convince those who knew him best, to come around to his self-proclaimed moderate viewpoint(s)? Either he's an ineffective leader OR he agrees with the radical Anti-American, Anti-White and Anti-Israel hate-speech we've heard promulgated at his church? The only other question is - who's the bigger con man, Bubba or Barack? Republicans don't trust Obama now, but after he loses Iraq, puts Israel in jeopardy, establishes Gay Marriage and appoints more Ruth Ginsbergs to the Supreme Court, I'm sure they'll just roll over and join his Kumbaya coalition

Posted by: Typical White Person | March 24, 2008 2:29 AM

People need to get over the flap about the preacher LOL To many of us out here in normal America? We all know or are related to someone who is a racist. NO one gets off scott free if they are honest about. We all know someone. To those who expound the most out rage? It's more rage over their candidate, be it Hillary or McCain, who fears losing to Obama so they use it to that end. If they think most are not aware of their actions and the intent behind them? They really are just flapping their lips.

Posted by: Deanna | March 24, 2008 4:52 AM

BREAKING!!! OBAMA'S PASTOR SOMETHING SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Adam | March 24, 2008 7:38 AM

You know, it would have been nice if, just once, one of the moderate Republicans out there in the world would have stood up to their pastor or reverend in their church when they were preaching hatred of homosexuals and fear-mongering rather than teaching of the message of Christ, who said, "Judge now, lest ye be judged also. It is for one to judge, the Father who is in Heaven; and by that measure with which ye mete out justice, so shall ye be judged also." Religiously founded hatred and intolerance is not a Christian virtue, but I don't see any of you out there doing anything about it in your churches. You see, it's not so easy to stand up and make a change in a community like that, especially when it's not your job. Obama took what was good in Reverend Wright's sermons and learned from that. It seems obvious to me that he at least got the right messages--tolerance, forgiveness, compassion. Why don't we move on already. He's addressed the issue, and I am certainly satisfied with his answer. Oh, by the way, I think the ads are good. I hope that he gets people out to the polls in record numbers, just like he has everywhere else.

Posted by: jf | March 24, 2008 8:00 AM

Obama should clean his own church of the racial devide he speaks of first. Now he wants the rest of the country to be involved. The majority of Americans did not know of Rev. Wright and the Racism and the Anti-American Remarks being Preached by his own Preacher. Now his new pastor is speaking the same statements as Rev Wright.
I believe Obama has stated that he will remain in his church.

And editorial quote on Obama's Speech:

Obama's Speech: A BRILLIANT FRAUD

Wake Up America

Posted by: wakeupamerica | March 24, 2008 8:30 AM

I want to know what Barack Obama's philosophy is on a disastrous military and foreign policy, American's status in the world, an economy in decline due to debt and job loss, and a government that is disfunctional.

I don't give a rats @ss what anybody in his church says about anything.

Posted by: tokyoboe-online | March 24, 2008 9:28 AM

You all should read today's column about Hillary's campaign being over and everyone knows it including her but she's too spiteful and egotistical to give up. She is splitting the party and her lasting Clinton legacy will be to ensure that John McCain wins in November. Her negativity should be rejected by everyone---America does not need and can not have a leader like that. Given a choice between McCain and Clinton, Clinton would be demolished. Is that what people really want? McCain appointing the next 3 Supreme Court justices? I am a former Clinton fan but this whole campaign has disgusted me. I wouldn't cross the room to shake their hands at this point.

Posted by: Exfan | March 24, 2008 9:53 AM

I agree that Clinton is beyond spiteful and her campaign is quite over. Richardson said that some in her campaign have a sense that she is entitled somehow to the presidence. I think she & Bill think they're both entitled to the presidency and no one needs that again, because when Clinton was president, times were good - they'd never be able to handle now.

Posted by: Marguerite | March 24, 2008 10:08 AM

Posted by: Marguerite | March 24, 2008 10:09 AM

Part of the Obama snow job where he portrayed Rev. Wright's paranoid rants as coming from anger that is the baggage as the legacy of of old white racism, carried by old blacks. Well, there is current-day stuff that is alive and well, carried by the young blacks, that is a lot worse than the racism, sexism and homophobic intolerance of the older generation of blacks. It's called Hip Hop, Gangsta and Street culture. It's full of racism, paranoia, anger, violence, abuse of women, sexism and a whole lot of dysfunctional antisocial expression schemes. The social psychological disordered behavior that Rev. Wright's hate-speech-as-sermons represents and coveys to blacks and supported by Obama is is alive and well in the current-day generation in Black America. It's just in a newer more dangerous carnation.

Posted by: gary | March 24, 2008 10:35 AM

Nice ads. Well-tailored for PA. Will they overcome the inherent bigotry that will drive some to vote for HRC? Probably not. Fear remains a potent motivating force in PA as elsewhere.

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | March 24, 2008 10:43 AM

I don't get it.

Why is it okay when Jerry Falwell, James Dobson and Pat Roberston say crazy things? What about McCain's minister? He says crazy things all the time. Even the anit-Catholic McCain lobbied to endose him. Its okay when those crazies blame bad things on actions by the American goverment.

George W Bush has not had to disown any of those crazies. Every Republican candidate has to meet with those crazies and hope to get their endoresment.

How is that different from sitting in a church and disagreeing with what the preacher said (but not leave the church). I love my church but I disagree with the preacher every Sunday.

Posted by: Randy | March 24, 2008 11:09 AM

Hey Typical white person (name of the person that I am replying too) You ask how can he be an agent of change then why couldn't he convince those who knew him best, to come around to his view. ARE YOU 10 YEARS OLD, Everybody does not share the same views, The man has seen things Obama Hasnt seen, he is from a period different than Obama, He has his own way of thinking just as we do. When we were kids did we always agree with our parents no we did not. Oh and bay the way could someone tell me where this specch is filled with hate huh, anger and distrustyes but hate, No where is this so called hate

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 11:40 AM

Let us put aside the fact that Mr. Obama is intelligent, modest, articulate, apparently honest, kind hearted, Black & White... but instead, let us think for a moment the very real and very strong message that electing such a person, would send to the rest of the planet. That unlike the ill words those terrorists that hate America continue preaching, instead of the pessimist beliefs that people around the world have of the U.S.A. our reality is the opposite. A nation that would elect a tall, skinny, black man named BARACK OBAMA for president, can't really be the racist, dumb, arrogant, and abusive society, that so many people outside of the USA, seem to think.

Posted by: P. Aybar | March 24, 2008 12:47 PM

Lets debate the issues.We are hurting right now as a nation.Cant we all just get along.

Posted by: Bored | March 24, 2008 2:38 PM

Posted by: Bored | March 24, 2008 2:38 PM

Posted by: Bored | March 24, 2008 2:38 PM

As far as the Pastor controversery: Clinton has a problem with her association with "The Family" (which believe the treasures should go to the Elite (rich) Americans).
McCain has a problem with his association with Jerry Fallwell (who said 911 happened because of gays, feminists, women who have abortions, black, hispanics and the like) and Jerry Haggard (you remember that pastor who bought Meth and has a trist with a gay man and had to step down in disgrace.)

The pastor controversery is over.
A united vision is better than a scattered blindness.
Obama 08

Posted by: womanpa | March 24, 2008 3:38 PM

To think that Obamas pastor moment is gone is naive. To think that God Damn America will not hurt Obama is simply naive and dumb.
We need to win in the fall. Clinton is the way, Obama ensures Presdient McCain.

Posted by: Joseph | March 24, 2008 4:00 PM

We need to win in the fall. Clinton is the way, Obama ensures Presdient McCain.

Posted by: Joseph | March 24, 2008 4:00 PM

To think that Obamas pastor moment is over is simply way to naive. God Damn America will not go away. Obama listened to this type of hateful rhetoric for 20 years. There is no erasing the excuse for that. There is no excuses either.
We need to win in November. Clinton is the way. Obama will only ensure President McCain.

Posted by: Joseph | March 24, 2008 4:03 PM

Actually, McCain simply can not win. I am certain of that, his negatives (Bush/Cheney for example) far outweigh the negatives of the Clintons or the Obamas.

And, I am also sure that pastor Wright is a dangerous person, not just angry and aggrieved.

But I am still a huge supporter of Obama.

The Clintons have far more dangerous friends and associates than Obama and their self-serving divisiveness is far more dangerous to this country than Obama's bigoted pastor.

Posted by: shrink2 | March 24, 2008 4:17 PM

I don't understand why saying God damn america for being racist is unpatriotic. Once again, the idiot Republicans are complaining that someone thinks something is wrong with the country. Lets all say it! God damn America for being racist! Its a problem. The first step is admitting you have a problem. Then you can begin to fix it. The Republicans know that can't win if we don't divide the country along the lines of its hatreds. They have nothing to bring to the table other wise. What are they going to run on the Economy? The War? No. They will run it on hating anything one not white, male, straight and Christian. And they say God damn you for wanting the same rights that the white, male, straight and Christian folks have. And they will say you are unamarican for not being white, male, straight and Christian. And they will run a candidate who is white, male, straight and Christian.

And they will lose.

Posted by: Don't get it | March 24, 2008 4:29 PM

Amen!!! Shrink2 I am with you on that.
oh, Hillary's added more scandal this week, embargo scandal.And she lied again(!): Bosnia.
Shameless
Obama 08

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 4:29 PM

I am rabbi and a supporter of Barack Obama. While I don't believe that I've ever said anything quite as incendiary as Pastor Wright, I certainly would not want any of my congregants to be faulted for my sermons or my failings, no matter how egregious.

Perhaps all the hullabaloo about Pastor Wright is our inability to look deeply inside ourselves, atone for the wrongs we have committed, and look toward a leader--inspiring, dedicated, visionary, fallible--to help all of us to be more accountable, thoughtful, compassionate citizens of this great nation.

While I may vigorously oppose some of Pastor Wrights statements, this controversy and Barack Obama's leadership have called me to consider how race plays out in my own life and how I might be a bearer of justice and dignity. I welcome a leader who calls me to a higher purpose, even when that means I search my soul and atone for past wrongs, in the hope that together, we might built a brighter, more just America.

Might this hurt Obama and the Democrats in the fall? Perhaps. But I am honored to once again believe in a politics that is more than just about winning for the sake of winning. I am grateful that Senator Obama has asked each one of us how we might make our communities and our nation stronger, more whole, indeed--more perfect.

Posted by: Michael | March 24, 2008 4:31 PM

wow.....never care abt eat pastor says.i stil love u OBAMA.and you remain ma role model in politics..........

Posted by: rabiu | March 24, 2008 4:38 PM

Hillary is a big old women, a liar!!!!!!!!
Shame on you hillary!

Posted by: lucie | March 24, 2008 5:38 PM

Let's just "get over it"! Read his book and listen to his speeches -- Barak Obama is a loyal citizen who obviously has great respect for America!
Regarding his tolerance of Reverand Wright's rantings -- Can any of us properly sit "in judgement" without fully understanding his unique relationship with an elderly friend? And what difference does it make anyway? Rest assured, Mr. Obama is a patriot!

Posted by: David Le Vine | March 24, 2008 5:53 PM

Well, based on the comments, it's clear that racism is alive and well in America!

Posted by: Not a Typical White Guy | March 24, 2008 7:04 PM

I used to be a Hillary supporter, but I lost my respect for her as a result of her negative attacks. The more I read about and listen to Obama the more struck I am with his rare ability to rise above the negative attacks by FOX, Clinton, and McCain. I would be furious if folks attacked me in that manner. He has responded in a mature, intelligent, and level-headed manner. What a great president he will make!

Posted by: Jamie | March 24, 2008 7:53 PM

I agree with you, Jamie.

Posted by: aepelbaum | March 24, 2008 9:39 PM

=

God Damn all you people, especially Whitey. That's Right! Plus, me and Barack done came up with the AIDS virus for ya'lls AS$... How Bout DEM Apples?

On 9/11, me and my protoge, Iraq Hussein, I mean, uh, Barack Hussein, was laughin' it up for real dough. We had chips and salsa, bean pie, and watermelon and we watched the whole deal on my large Plasma Television. Then Farrakhan came over. That joint was tight, Yall!

I'm Crazy! I'm Crazy!

Yall don't even KNOW!

=

Posted by: Rev. Wright | March 24, 2008 9:50 PM

Here we are in 2008 complaining about words that one may have said. Here is a fact, that, we haven't even stop bickering by all races. When words mean nothing to some. Well, today they seem to do. These three need to sit down and bring the world together to get a better understanding to all who votes. The main thing is now the future and going forward with new ideas and being proactive for the challenges to come. We don't need the same thing that been developing for years. The chance is now and future is coming. Those who oppose to the way of developing and being posed for the challenges...better understand that leaving the past is leaving it behind all us. Wheather you are young or old, black or white, your culture or mine. It's time to open your heart, mind and soul for the new we need to take on. It may be tough in the begining but it will fall in place much better than what supposed to have been developing for years. I say to all you reading that a change is going to come wheather he or she is young or not to smart. However, leave the past were it lays today.

Posted by: Willie | March 24, 2008 10:32 PM

I hope the Democratic party does as Bill Richardson says and stops this unproductive campaign. Clinton has no chance of winning the nomination fairly, so she should step down in the name of saving the party. Right now all her campaign is dedicated to destroying Obama and the democratic party along with it.

Posted by: Pat | March 24, 2008 11:07 PM

LOL @ anyone who is getting their panties in a bunch over wright's comments.First off if any of these concerned people listened to the entire speech they would know he was quoting someone else. Secondly who cares what wright has to say? Is he running? Third you should all ask yourself if obama was so influenced by wright,how come his public service record doesn't reflect racists views? Get off it already! The same people crying over wright are probably using that as an excuse because they don't want to vote for obama because he is black. Well I for one have not been made a fool of. I am a white man,that likes obama's views,and I will support his race to be president. Some of you guys need to really get over it.

Posted by: Commonsense | March 25, 2008 2:22 AM

I am someone from the rest of the world out here who has been following the democratic nomination race from the outside.From Uganda to be precise....this may not matter to you but a CHANGE in government....who is at the top really helps. I have followed this blog for the past two months and I really feel for the democrats because this ugly fight...the longer it goes on is a benefit to McCain really. While both candidates could perform quite well on policy and leadership.....Hillary does come with alot of baggage(look carefully at her issues with financial skirmishes and potential lawsuits...). . . Obama's pastor may have passionately said things which have been "misspoken" about in the media. Before anyone switches support from Obama to elsewhere...kindly listen to the entire sermon....before you condemn Pastor Wright.....here the whole sermon.....if you walked into a room and the last words you heard someone speak to others was ....."he is simply stupid".....(and all in the room kept silent and looked at you.....afterall you just walked in...)....you might assume it was you they were talking about.....and you might be right....but worse still you might be wrong.....(and thats the problem of listening to only part of Wright's sermon). As an outsider I encourage you all to listen to the entire sermon before you potentially throw a good man(Wright or Obama) under the bus. Infact get as much information about each candidate before you vote!! Wouldnt you want America to have a president who can actually talk to both his allies and his enemies (diplomacy is good......keeps wars at bay!!). And I can assure you....while this might not matter to you.....that most people...outside America....if they could vote....would vote for Obama. There is a website which has run a poll on "who would other countries vote for if they could"....google it and see. The world clearly wants Obama!! But besides that ....I must add.....if Hillary does GET (WIN...whatever way it happens...!) the nomination...I hope all democrats (I would be proud to be one if I was American!) should go out and vote for your candidate (just make sure you dont only vote on passion....look at the facts....from trusted sources...then and only then.....cast your vote!! That said....This foreigner feels she cannot finish without adding GOD BLESS AMERICAN AND ALL ITS PEOPLE...WHO HAVE DONE SO MUCH GOOD IN THE WORLD (although all the world is seeing currently is the damage in Iraq!!).

Posted by: Suzanne | March 25, 2008 1:04 PM

Why is it so hard for most to understand why Rev Wright would say "God Damn America"? Some of the very ones posting on this site are saming the same thing! Most are judging REV Wright for his racist comments with their OWN racist comments and these are your words. Rev Wright's words were his not Sen Obama. At least take ownership for what comes out of your OWN mouth. Is that just as fair. I'm not sure if anyone listens to Lou Dobbs but, this man as well as others are just as Anti-American! They just put it in kinder terms. WAKE UP out there. For those that refuse to understand, had no intention or the will to even try to understand so, it's like beating a dead horse. Hell, I'm Anti-American TOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I have to live in a United States of America that sends innocent soldiers to a war that they've publicly admitted was WRONG. We have molesters that get away with probation. We have murders that go to jail and I have to pay for their housing, cable, food, and leisure. We have RACIST in the very world that's blogging on this site. I have never heard not one negative world come from Sen Obama's mouth!! He speaks of uniting the country. If you're not ready to vote for a BLACK man, it's much easier to simply say that and quit blaming your simple minds way of thinking to the reason that you're not voting for him is his pastor. Hell, why haven't anybody asked Hillary, why she stayed with a unfaithful husband for years!! Probably because she loved him. I don't know? If this isn't trival, why should Obama be scrutinized for standing by his pastor. I wouldn't even like to think of what came out of Bill Clinton's mouth when he stained Monica, and the other women he's had affairs with. He lied to a grand jury!!! So the question should be "Why didn't Hillary leave?" Maybe she enjoyed "seconds". I would have left the man before I left the church. By the way, did anyone know that Rev Wright prayed for Bill and Hillary at the White House when he was facing impeachment???? The picture floated out there for a minute. If he's so Anti-American and a racist, why would they invite him to the White House? My pastor didn't get an invitation!!! So, I don't buy the bit of "a lot of people visited the White House".
Don't worry...If Sen Obama becomes the next POTUS, I can almost promise that the outside will stay WHITE!!

Posted by: Pepsi | April 2, 2008 9:33 AM