About Channel '08  |  Blog Partner: PrezVid.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed  (What's RSS?)

Your Obama Ad, Oliver Stone Approved

Moveon.org is asking members to submit a 30-second ad for the Sen. Barack Obama. Best of all, the group has recruited academics, activists, authors, and celebrities to pick the winner.

Oliver Stone, Moby, Jesse Jackson, Ben Afleck, Steve Buscemi, Lawrence Lessig are just some of the folks that will pick the ad that will run nationwide. (One wonders how the cinematic preferences of Stone, Affleck, Jackson, et al will mesh.)

MoveOn.org executive director Eli Pariser explains the contest:

"We've already seen an amazing outpouring of creativity," Pariser says in the ad, citing the will.i.am video for Obama.

Contestants can submit an ad from March 27th through April 1st. MoveOn members start voting on April 3rd. The winner is announced April 10th, and the ad will be on the air in time for the April 22nd Pennsylvania Primary. The winner also receives $20,000 in video equipment.

We wonder if our colleagues at Slate will once again submit a video, like they did for the Romney video contest:

-- Ed O'Keefe

By Ed O'Keefe |  March 13, 2008; 1:50 PM ET Barack Obama
Previous: Hulu's Presidential Archive | Next: Is Christopher Guest Producing Clinton Videos?

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

why not make provision for pictograms. in considering this matter you mught well remember the work of george grosz and many othere. the message contained in pictograms can not be replicated in other formats and possibly should be thought of as part and parcel of community dialogue. none of this is ment to diminish the value of text and video
peter falvey

www.saintpeterii.com

Posted by: peter falvey | March 13, 2008 4:14 PM

This is the problem in the United States. We listen and really give a crap about what movie stars really think. Oliver Stone, Moby, Jesse Jackson, Ben Afleck, Steve Buscemi, Lawrence Lessig, yeah, yeah, yeah. Moby, come on now. And Ben affleck, please..., just like we believe his amazing acting talents. Go get'um Ben...................

Posted by: James | March 13, 2008 4:24 PM

Posted by: Fred Shand | March 13, 2008 5:05 PM

"I lost my enthusiasm for Senator Obama as a serious candidate when he accepted Oprah's endorsement. Now things are really getting flaky!"

Ok, maybe some endorsements are not that helpful. By why would you ever TURN DOWN Oprah's endorsement. Would you have Obama say "who cares what SHE thinks"?

Posted by: Bruce, Colorado Springs | March 13, 2008 5:36 PM

Since Hilary likes to tout her experience and since she has extensive experience with presidential campaigning, how come Obama is out-campaigning her?

Posted by: doxx | March 13, 2008 5:45 PM

Hillary lost my support the first time she lied. The second time she lied, that solidified my disgust with her. The third time just amazed me. The fourth time I could not believe anyone would still support her. The fifth time she lied I got angry. I lost count how many times she lied long ago...but my disgust lives on with each lie. Those who have lost the ability to be disgusted by her lies, have lost their decency and all hope.

Posted by: fun2bfree | March 13, 2008 5:50 PM

I had a similar experience to fun2Bfree in observing the tactical tit-for-tat in the campaign. I would add that I have been very impressed with Obama's ability to shrug off the equivalent of barbs and catcalls and to keep his head. Rather, he has consistently taken the high road when I have to admit that it would have been difficult for me to do it in his shoes.

However, I would like to see him take the initiative to refocus the campaign issues facing the country rather than issues facing the candidates.

Posted by: sifta | March 13, 2008 6:50 PM

It amazes me how great hillary's ability to turn people off. Just a few months ago I would give my heart to Hill, but now I can't stand her.

I hope Obama, win or lose, keep his head high, and act statesmanlike, not like the erratic, hysterical Hillary.

Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States of America: Barack Obama!

Posted by: John | March 13, 2008 7:20 PM

Unpatriotic

Posted by: moveonidiots | March 13, 2008 8:40 PM

This is repugnant and stands for everything that is wrong with American culture - One of the biggest things against Obama is that all he's got going for him so far is charisma and ability to rouse a crowd with rhetoric. This kind of clinches my sense that this is not a great qualification. It gave rise to Hitler and many other silver-tongued bad hats, and it doesn't speak well for Obama. I remember the disco craze and everyone raving about the movie Titanic (which was only fair). Do we really want our next President to be the next American Idol? Why should we care who Matt Damon wants for president? We shouldn't, but we have to because box office will bring votes. It's the saddest kind of propaganda playing off the ignorance of people who don't have the skills to make analytical decisions. And people wonder why there are superdelegates and an electoral college. Heaven help us when movie makers, the kings of illusion, start picking our presidents. Obama is the emperor without clothes, and Hollywood is dressing him.

Posted by: Lu, Florida | March 13, 2008 11:10 PM

Lu...you are totally ignorant of what's going on. I guess the 14 million people who voted for Obama are just "Hollywood People". I find it interesting and inspiring that so many people from different walks of life want to help Obama become president. This goes to the nameless old woman who sent Obama a check for $3.01 to the Music and Hollywood A-listers creating wonderful videos like "YES WE CAN" and now, Stone, Damon and Affleck want to contribute more than just money!

Lu it is not to late jump on the Obama train!

Posted by: AJ | March 13, 2008 11:27 PM

How we view our country in the coming years is important. How we vote for the next president is even more important. The world is changing. The Chinese are developing their country, The Euro is now equal to US$1.56. And, we are still bent on small stuff. Let us vote for the candidate that will take this country to the status it once held.

Posted by: Giovanni | March 14, 2008 12:14 AM

Rebuttal to the comment above: Lu
Do we really want our next President to be the next American Idol?
******************************
Take your pick. Right now we have a person over half the country wouldnt invite for dinner.
Even if Obama does nothing more than act as a catalyst for inspiring confidence and motivating the country, he will be lifting us out of this dark period.

Posted by: rebuttal to Lu | March 14, 2008 8:11 AM

Each and every day this campaign becomes more and more of a comedy.

Obama now says he is distancing himself from his Preacher. He has to resort to hollywood for an ad in his behalf. The Land of SMOKE SCREENS. Is he runnoing a campaign for the betterment of America, or is he doing a Vaudiville Act??????

Posted by: lynn parker | March 14, 2008 11:40 AM

I THINK I WANT TO ENTER THIS CONTEST.
I'll start with a brief outline.

-Obama speaks in platitudes-he puts his foot in his mouth when he tried to speak substance....
-Obama's close association with unsavory characters and his "to good to be true" land deal. Isn't he a Harvard grad?....
-Obama's long time association with his hate mongering "spiritual leader".....
-Obama's wife, another Harvard grad, who knew exactly what she was saying when she said that for the "first" time she was proud of America...maybe constant exposure like Obama to this hate mongering "spiritual leader".
-Obama-#1 ultra liberal rating.
Obama- no significant accomplishments in congress.
-Obama-big time plans for taxing and spending(in between platitudes).

That's good for starters.
End- something about snake oil salesman over the years.
That's a wrap!

Posted by: Mike | March 14, 2008 11:43 AM

Hussein Where are your tap dancing shoes. Maybe if you are a real good comedian and a good dancer you could be in line for some sort of Hollywood prize or maybe Disneyland could use your talents. Anywhere else but the White House. You really are sickening!!!!!!!!

Posted by: lynn parker | March 14, 2008 11:48 AM

This is so ridiculous. What can I say to these naive american kids. They just take the election as American Idol, and take Obama as their super idol, or maybe jesus. Too Naive!

Posted by: shannon | March 14, 2008 5:57 PM

I think it is important to verbalize your feeling. As Americans we have this right.
However, at know time should I be held
accountable for your rants, ideals, bias,
opinions and certainly your most precious
level of knowledge. I am 66 and like you
I flinched when I heard the rantings of the
man who calls himself a servant of the
Christ. When I was growing up in the then
Southern Black Church Sermons like that
incited us to study hard, make good grades
and enter College. I sat through those sermons, pulled what I liked from it and
as I grew up and went out on my own I formulated my own principles, established new incites and consequently have a fairly
successful life. Sen Obamas Pastor is in
my age group. He is to be prayed for
because he has not been able to advance
beyond his obvious ignorance and bias. He
will have to answer for this. But why should Sen Obama be judged by these rants.

The Hannadies, Clintons, Rushies and Lord
knows how many more are like snakes they
rattle and we spook. Just imagine 4 more
years of War and Econ-pease that will be
the result. They do not care if Gas is >
$4.00/gallon, while the Irag(s) save their
Billion Dollar Surpluses and The Draft Loomes High. Thank You and God Bless
America.

Posted by: CD | March 14, 2008 9:26 PM

Barack Obama is a fine man, and will make a wonderful president. No only will the US benefit from his leadership, but the whole world. Hollywood people are citizens of the US, and they vote too, and they are allowed to express their opinion and get behind the candidate of their choice. I wish you a fair wind at your back Mr. Obama.

Posted by: Joan | March 15, 2008 11:07 AM

Joan, How dou you know O. Hussein B. is a fine man????
His only history is following a HATEMONGERING "pastor" for 20 YEARS!! Why didn't he distance himself from Wright over the past 20 years???? From the time he was married by him and had his kids baptized by this black radical, he is a WOLF IN SHEEP's CLOTHING!!!!

Posted by: Mariah from N.H. | March 17, 2008 10:54 AM