About Channel '08  |  Blog Partner: PrezVid.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed  (What's RSS?)

Coleman Warns Minnesota of 'What to Expect'

Sen. Norm Coleman (R-Minn.) has launched a creative preemptive strike against expected attacks from Democratic opponent Al Franken and other groups. "What to Expect" is a 30-second ad that once again mixes Coleman's self-depricating style with mentions of his Senate record, a strategy that's worked for him before ("He brought hockey back!")

Here's the script:

"Here's some things you're probably going to see from the other side. First they'll show you a crummy picture. Then they'll play some scary music. They'll say I'm in the pocket of lobbyists or special interests. But I fought for ethics reform to restore trust in Congress. They'll say I'm a rubber stamp for George Bush, even though The Washington Post has ranked me as one of the most independent senators."

The Minnesota Senate race is one of the closest in the country, with Coleman leading Franken by just 1 point in the latest statewide survey. Franken has started airing a new message that attacks Coleman for supporting President Bush's Social Security privatization plans. The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee has aired an ad using Coleman's own words against him, specifically on the Iraq war. Coleman's ability to poke fun at himself while mocking the formulaic nature of political attack ads may help him score points with voters sick and tired of the negative.

-- Ed O'Keefe

By Ed O'Keefe |  September 15, 2008; 6:36 AM ET Ad Watch , Congress
Previous: McCain Radio Spot Trumpets Stem Cell Policy Palin Opposed | Next: Several Independent Groups Launch TV Attacks

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Another carpetbagger from NY who is a Senator in another state.

Posted by: deerfly | September 15, 2008 7:54 AM

HOW about what you are going to say,We hope
that you man up Norm and tell us about
your fail attempt to frame the UN SEC.Gen.
about telling us about the last six years on your witch hunt,and what you accomplish
in that time,beside being Cheney waterboy
tell what went wrong with your investion
into the oil for food scandal! and who were
the people who finally were caught in the
fraudently scandal,and what did you do then
yes norm please Man up.tell us about your
rent scandal in your DC apartment!
I personally had a veteran issue with the
v.a I call his St.paul office,and his aids
gave me the brushoff I then call my rep.
Betty Mccullum and she got the va straight
she was just like Paul Wellstone,who help
every veteran in minnesota,Norm do us a favor you phoney and go back to New york
your politics are not in line with Minnesota virtues,Jesus help us to defeat
this criminal and clown.

Obama/Biden/Franken

Posted by: horney for Hannity | September 15, 2008 9:45 AM

You wouldn't use a term like "self-deprecation" if you watched the Coleman attack ads that have saturated our tv broadcasts in Minnesota. They are the the most shallow political commercials I've ever seen. He's also been dropping like a rock in the polls.

With his new ads, he takes a different tack at the same strategy: Avoiding his record as a senator. And it might work, with people like O'Keefe presenting info out of context with the Coleman campaign to date.

Posted by: dbmn | September 15, 2008 11:30 AM

Coleman loves and works tirelessly for his country. Unfortunately, it isnt this one. He is an AIPAC stooge and another dual-citizenship Israel-Firster. Voters who love AMERICA should kick this traitor out.

Posted by: Vic | September 15, 2008 11:52 AM

coleman why were you not supporting
minnesota's first amendment rights doing
the RNC conventions,you could have gotten
the st.paul police not to provoke the protestors,you could have stood up for
us like mayor coleman and minneapolis mayor,but you did not,I agree with the
other posters we are sick of you,go and find rock and hide under

Posted by: Emma | September 15, 2008 3:37 PM

Isn't Norm Coleman a Jew?
Sarah Palin is Pontius Pilate.
And Barack Obama is Jesus.

So how long will it be until Norm Coleman asks Sarah Palin to crucify Barack Obama?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 15, 2008 4:46 PM

The question is whether voters will start to treat Coleman's own attack ads with the same sense of disdain.

Posted by: bsimon | September 15, 2008 5:30 PM

Wow- so this is the site where folks without skills expell their vitriol.

Wake up Lefties- America is a meritocracy not a collective. I Gotta get back to work so I can make myself a bundle plus fund your kid's next month of foodstamps.

Posted by: bg | September 15, 2008 8:05 PM

Why did Coleman, who did a hella of job as mayor of St. Paul, forget about Minnesotans after becomming a Senator? And as a Senator, Norm went on C-Span to support a member of the House of Representatives--Tom Delay--one of the biggest crooks in DC. My guess is that was what "W" and "Dickie" wanted their subordinates to do. Again, what about the people Norm was sent to Washington to support-Minnesotans.

Norm got my first vote, but this next vote goes to Al Frankin--because I'd rather take my chances on Frankin than put up with another eight years of: I couldn't remember you before, but I remember you now Minnesota-now that my term is ending!!

Posted by: No Longer MN Nice | September 15, 2008 9:37 PM