About Channel '08  |  Blog Partner: PrezVid.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed  (What's RSS?)

Democrats Slam Coleman On Iraq

By Chris Cillizza in The Fix:

For the last month -- at least -- the Minnesota Senate race has featured some of the hardest hitting television ads in any contest (the presidential included) in the country.

After Sen. Norm Coleman's campaign released an ad late last week that painted Democratic challenger Al Franken as temperamentally unqualified to be a senator, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee struck back today with an ad that will likely be equally controversial.

The ad features an older couple -- Nancy and Claremont Anderson -- who lost their son in a Blackhawk helicopter crash in Iraq.

Among the extremely tough lines delivered by the tearful couple:

* "I don't blame the Army for our son's death, I just blame the bad policies on President Bush, Norm Coleman who voted for this." (Nancy Anderson)

* "I have no faith in Norm Coleman. He has no ability to make up his own mind." (Claremont Anderson)

* "If Norm Coleman would have stood up to the president and said this is not a good idea maybe he would have listened." (Nancy Anderson)

Continue Reading This Post >>>

By Ed O'Keefe |  September 17, 2008; 8:38 AM ET Ad Watch , Congress
Previous: Immigration Again Focus of McCain -- in Spanish | Next: McCain and Obama's New Economic Ads

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Dems need to do these types of ads against McSame and Caribou Barbie. Something like these two, (McCain and Palin) are going to get your kids killed.

Posted by: BeatTweety'08 | September 17, 2008 9:19 AM

This is a family standing up to the responible people that killed their son, its not politics.
God bless Nancy and Claremont Anderson

Posted by: GHM | September 17, 2008 11:13 AM

This is shameless. To actually find a family wanting to politicize their son's death in sickens me. I'm an Iraq War vet and proud of it. TERRORISTS killed this couple's son, not any politican regardless of their political background.

With that said I now have to ask:

Comedians and "community organizers", Can't the democrats ever run a person who held a REAL job in their lives?

Posted by: Pennsylvania Penguin | September 17, 2008 12:40 PM

I am an Iraq war veteran, and I agree completely with what the Anderson's reaction. Blaming someone holding someone responsible is exactly what needs to happen in this conflict. This isn't a war, it's someone leaving a legacy at the expense of human lives and taxpayer dollars. The Anderson's aren't the only people in America who feel this way. Yes, the country's security is very important to democracy in America, but I don't think it should have cost as many lives as it has. The terrorists striked on 9/11 add those lives to the ones lost in this conflict and tell me what has been accomplished. I am a lifer and I will support and defend this country until I retire, but I would much rather live to see another day with my family and friends. Do you think that democracy is best served stuffed down the throats of people that don't want it? I don't think so. While our nation and economy are crumbling, lives being lost, why not hold someone that made the decision to go over in the first place responsible.

Posted by: fort irwin rat | September 17, 2008 1:46 PM

Thank You Nancy Anderson,you are right
to lay blame, to the people,who started
this profit for the well connected war,
and sen.coleman is a draft dodger I am
told,another sofa warrior! God bless
the Anderson's and Good luck Al Franken
people like you Al.

Posted by: 1st. INF.DIV. | September 17, 2008 4:37 PM

MURDER WAS THE CASE!WHY DID'NT CHENEY
SHOW UP AT THE RNC CONVENTION?NORM REALLY
DID'T WANT TO GO EITHER,AND WHATS UP WITH THE US CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE FLOODING THE AIR WAYS WITH NORM REELECTION BS. IS THAT
LEGAL WELL IF IT'S NOT THEN NORM WOULD CARE,JUST HIS SPEED.

Posted by: JUSTICE SCALIA | September 18, 2008 3:22 PM

Theirs is not to reason why, theirs is just to do and die. It's the politicians that send the soldiers in harm's way and the soldiers do their duty extremely well. But it's the responsibility of out leaders to make sure that war is a last resort and that the strategy is well thought out. That did not happen in this misguided war in Iraq and now we have over 4,100 dead and over 30,000 wounded and a presidential candidate that has the audacity to claim that by 2013 we will exit Iraq in some undefined victory! Bush should have been impeached for this fiasco. Coleman should have shown independence-instead he showed cowardice and caved to the GOP leadership. Shame on all of the GOP for these very unnecessary casualties.How in God's name do you sleep at night?

Posted by: theMick752 | September 18, 2008 6:20 PM