About Channel '08  |  Blog Partner: PrezVid.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed  (What's RSS?)

NRA Targets Obama-Biden in Ongoing Ad Buy

By Ed O'Keefe in The Trail:

The National Rifle Association is likely to spend "in the eight figure range" on radio and television advertisements in the next 42 days as part of its efforts to deter undecided voters from voting for Barack Obama, according to an NRA spokesman. The group will air a series of ads starring group members that openly question Obama's commitment to protecting gun rights. Ads will air on radio stations and during local cable television ad breaks in Colorado and New Mexico through Oct. 5 and in Pennsylvania through Sept. 28, with plans to expand to other battleground states in the coming weeks.

One ad stars former Marine and Iraq war veteran Kurt Rusch. "Like all the guys I fought with in Iraq, I was honored to defend my country and our freedom. But when I got back stateside, I learned that Barack Obama opposes my right to own a handgun for self-defense. It's ridiculous," Rusch says in the spot, adding later in it: "There's no way I'm voting for a president" who would take away "the freedoms that I fought for, that my friends died to defend."

Another ad, called "Hunter", stars Kurt's father, Karl Rusch. "I gotta tell you, with the high cost of gas and just about everything else, we're all feeling pinched," Rusch says. "And now I learn that Barack Obama supports a huge new tax on my guns and ammo."

"Where is this guy from?" Rusch later asks. "He's probably never been hunting a day in his life." He concludes: "You don't have to be bitter to know Barack Obama isn't the kind of change we need."

Continue Reading This Post >>>

By Ed O'Keefe |  September 24, 2008; 1:31 PM ET Ad Watch
Previous: Obama Talks About the 'Economia' in New Spanish Ads | Next: Jewish Democrats Asked to 'Schlep' Home for Obama

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Right on... the adds look like they may have some impact on undecided voters in swing states. I am hopeful that Americans will wake up to see what damage they will do if they elect Obama.

This democrat for the republican this time out.

Posted by: marcus | September 24, 2008 3:31 PM

Wow, Wake Up America!! I can't believe McCain, this man is the most cynical and craven politician i have seem in my 40 yrs. This latest move, like picking gump Palin, is so calculated, its insulting. Clearly, McCain is trying desperately to save his campaign!! Are you serious that everyone doesn't see this as a bald faced attempt to slow Obama's big Mo! You gotta be kidding me right.
Can anyone tell me why this election is so close again. You and I both know why McCain(the weakest link) is still in this. Grow up America, you have been virtually beat up for the past 8 years from the Bush incompentence and yet you are oblivious and want the same for 4 more years!!
This is incredible on so many levels. We all know why this race is still close. Admit it.

Obama is clearly the best thing since JFK, RFK and WJC. Why, America can't we see that. What a shame!!! I honestly grieve for my country if you elect McCain and Palin.

Posted by: Ron DC | September 25, 2008 10:53 AM

I'm against any politician who lies while raising his hand to take the oath, "...to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." That includes the majority of today's office holders, and most certainly Barack Hussein O'bama!

If you're Communist and believe in still larger government, give him a go...however, if you value your hard-earned dollars and freedom, give it some SERIOUS THOUGHT! And, stop swilling the grape juice...it's a downer!

Posted by: Al (SC) | September 25, 2008 11:35 AM

So what if Obama has never been hunting!! Alot of people have never been hunting including me and I would never shoot a harmless animal who can't defend himself. There are too many guns in this country and people don't know how to use them properly. Talk about taking away our rights. What about their issue on abortion! That is absurd that someone can tell us what we can do or what we can not do to our bodies. It's our own decision not McPalin's!! I am certainly not a communist and still can't believe ANYONE republican or not would still consider voting for the old man and his side kick.

Posted by: cjicfalls | September 25, 2008 2:30 PM

Yeah! obama is the best since JFK, RFK and WJC. You elect OBAMA and as an added bonus you will have a JACQUELINE KENNEDY , one who is in the best dressed list. huh!

Posted by: tim tayag591 | September 25, 2008 9:01 PM

Really effective ads, targeted at gunowners and outdoorsmen like myself. I haven't been an NRA member for 20 years, but Obama-Biden (and the contrast with our fellow sportsmen, McCain and Palin) did the trick. My daughter and I joined the NRA online yesterday, then we spent the evening cleaning and oiling our rifles for the upcoming deer season. Good times.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 26, 2008 6:38 AM

I belive in the NRA, the is our 2 Amendment! But remember he is not for alot of Things our four fathers fought for, neither is the Media, He is for Abortion, and the Homosexual agenda, that should tell you something, He was Not Born in the United states either!!! and the Media is Covering this up He was Born in Afica, look up the Word ""Mabus"" this should reveil something too,

Posted by: Mary | September 26, 2008 4:11 PM

Owning a gun might be "a right", but can you imagine guns slipping into a lunatic's hand who goes about shooting others? or a school boy/girl who goes amock shooting his/her coleaques? What the heck if I have never hunted or killed lice with a gun before ? The NRA guys should know that what Obama is advocating for is tighty regulation of gun ownership. If you are smart you will still own a gun

Posted by: Rione 2000 | September 27, 2008 11:24 AM

People who support Obama and think the 2ND Amendment means nothing think about this. If Obama does not like the 2ND what does he think about the rest of the Amendments? I for one am against anyone anyone like Obama. Obama supporters say the NRA is lying about Obama.'s anti gun record! I say BS anyone in the world can go online and look at his Anti Gun record! Heck go to the Goverment web site it says how he voted.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2008 11:04 PM

Obama is a puppet of people like George Soros and his Move On .org along with the Joyce Foundation and Acorn!!!!!! Obama even voted to give Social Security to no US citezens......

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2008 11:07 PM

One website!!!!!!!!!! http://www.gunbanobama.com/

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2008 11:07 PM

1. Obama challenges the 2nd Amendment ... The Right To Bear Arms.

2. Obama challenges the 1st Amendment ... The right of Free Speech.
Obama pressures all media who accepts NRA advertising.

3. Obama wants a Civil National Security Force ... with the same budget as the Pentagon.

So, Obama does not want any opposition, so he stops Freedom of Speech.
Then, to make any opposition defenseless, he wants to take away our right to bear arms.
Next, he wants a Civil National Security force to put down any insurrection.

Sounds like the stepping stones to a leftist dictator taking over this country.

Posted by: PAUL REVERE | September 29, 2008 5:09 AM

I am a gun owner and hunter and I can't believe the pure idiocy posted by the gun nuts in their comments. The NRA is a radical organization, just like white supremacists, the KKK, Al-Qaida et al. It is one thing to argue for the right to have guns for hunting, personal protection etc, but entirely another to go against all regulation or restrictions on gun ownership. One only has to look at Columbine, Virginia Tech, and the numerous other killings by people who should not have been able to get a gun to realize that good, sane, non-criminal folks can have their guns, but we definitely need regulations to keep the guns out of the wrong hands. The NRA by being so staunchly against any regulation of weapons is way out of the mainstream and is a radical organization. No group, democrat or otherwise has said anything about taking away all the guns from folks who apparently need penis embellishments to augment their manhood.

Posted by: John | September 30, 2008 4:20 PM