Can a Bedroom Fan Save Your Baby From SIDS?

There is nothing so immeasurably sad as the death of an infant. And when that death is attributed to SIDS -- sudden infant death syndrome -- the sadness is amplified by confusion and maddening uncertainty. For while doctors have given this syndrome a name for decades, and while it is listed as the leading cause of death among infants between one month and one year old, it's still just a "diagnosis of exclusion" -- the medical community can't fully explain why it happens and can only offer educated guesses as to how parents might protect their children.

This week brought another potential factor to parents' attention. A study conducted by the Kaiser Permanente Division of Research and published Monday in the October issue of the Archives of Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine, found that infants sleeping in a room where air was ventilated with a fan had a 72 percent lower risk of SIDS than babies who slept without fans. The idea is that a fan circulates fresh air and lessens the extent to which the baby re-inhales its own exhaled breath.

That's in keeping with earlier findings that soft bedding (into which a baby might sink her face) may be linked to SIDS; it's thought that such bedding might impede sleeping babies' ability to breathe. [NOTE: AN EARLIER VERSION OF THIS BLOG ENTRY INCORRECTLY STATED THAT PACIFIER USE IS LINKED TO SIDS. IN FACT, PACIFIER USE IS BELIEVED TO LOWER AN INFANT'S RISK OF SIDS.] Other apparent risk factors include living in a house with a smoker and being premature or having low birth weight; black and American Indian babies seem to be at elevated risk of SIDS, and SIDS affects more baby boys than girls. Most SIDS deaths occur in fall or winter.

But a leading SIDS expert was quick to warn that this study, while promising, is not conclusive, and that there are many factors that may contribute to the unexplained death of an infant. Marian Willinger, special assistant for SIDS
research at the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and
Human Development, writes:

The link between fan use and risk for Sudden Infant Death syndrome is an interesting finding that needs to be confirmed by further research. It cannot be emphasized strongly enough, however, that there is no substitute for the most effective means known to reduce the risk of SIDS: always placing infants for sleep on their backs. Other ways to reduce SIDS risk in the sleep environment include using firm mattresses and avoiding soft bedding such as comforters and quilts, providing a separate sleep environment, preventing infants from overheating, and not smoking around infants.

I vividly remember fitting each of my babies into a special foam wedge device designed to keep them sleeping on one side, not on their tummies, through the night. That didn't keep me from worrying and checking on them frequently while they slept. Side-sleeping has now been discounted as a preventive measure against SIDS: like Willinger at the National Institutes of Health, the American Academy of Pediatrics stands firm in saying babies should sleep on their backs.

Do you take -- or did you, when your kids were infants -- precautions against SIDS? Are you a stickler for having your baby sleep on her back? What do you make of this new information about fans and SIDS?

By Jennifer LaRue Huget  |  October 8, 2008; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Alzheimers/Dementia
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Will Restaurants' Posting Nutrition Info Help Fight Obesity?
Next: Are 'Energy' Drinks Threatening Our Kids?

Comments

I have a 5 month old boy who we have sleep on his back. We use a air purifier in his room for not only fresh air but for "White Noise".

Posted by: H.Smith | October 8, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

As a parent, this is so maddening. Every month, it seems, they come out with new research as to what you should and should not do. When I was an infant, my parents were told to put me to sleep on my stomach. Now, 30 years later, we are told to put our children to sleep on their backs. But "not to worry" if they become tummy sleepers at 4 or 5 months old when they begin to roll over. Also, my pediatrician saw no issue whatsoever with us putting our youngest to sleep with a pacifier, since it was the only thing that calmed her. And small pillows and blankets are ok once the baby turns 1? As nervous as a new mom can be, I think that sometimes these "precautions" cause more harm than good, since what it comes down to is the fact that they really still have no concrete understanding of SIDS. I know I didn't sleep a full night for either of my children's first years of life. Common sense precautions like no blankets or toys or soft bedding, putting the child to sleep on their back to begin the night, etc. are good. Parents should be educated. But changing the advice every few months or so (sometimes completely contradicting previous advice) only causes harm to the parents.

Posted by: A. Chenette | October 8, 2008 8:07 AM | Report abuse

We have 4 children... all of whom slept in bed with us as infants. Mostly on their back. However, all of them slept on their stomach quite often, as they seemed to be most comfortable in that position. Our bed and the crib all had firm mattresses -- I don't know if that makes a difference. I am sure I would not put a baby, face down on a pillow-top mattress, or other soft material. I think the best and worst part about being a parent is that there are no "hard-and-fast rules" so the idea is to make them up as you go, and see what works for your baby.

Posted by: R.K. | October 8, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

Why is it that so many articles neglect to mention the well proven fact that breast fed infants have a lower rate of SIDS? In addition, co-sleeping lowers SIDS rates.
And why is it that "sleeping through the night" is such a priority? Infants are designed to wake frequently for feedings. Women are designed to stay close to their infants. In cultures where women breastfeed and cosleep with their babies SIDS is non-existent!

Posted by: J.Schenker | October 8, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

In cold Detroit, I distinctly remember getting tangled up in my sheet and blanket in my crib; I would awake suffocating and have to fight my way out of the mess. This would happen many times. This struggle deeply impressed me, and left an imprint that surfaces each time a see a SIDS topic.
I think, why do people still theorize as to why this happens?
To me when an infant, it was a life or death experience!

Posted by: R Marks | October 8, 2008 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Oh great, so now they're blaming SIDS on not having a bedroom fan?

What a joke.

I'd like to see a study done on previous cases of SIDS. I'd like to know how many children of lets say 10,000 cases have had vaccinations. But I suppose that Mercury in Thimerisol containing vaccines has NOTHING to do with this at all.. Because according to new reports mercury is good for your brain!!

(You don't believe me? watch this this video clip below to see the news reporter actually saying the MERCURY IS GOOD FOR YOU).

If you believe that, send me an email.. I've got a private island or a bridge i'd like to sell you.

Posted by: Tom | October 8, 2008 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Since we've been told to sleep our kids on their backs, we've seen the incidence of Reflux skyrocket!

My son (now 9) practically refused to sleep on his back. We tried wedges and other devices to keep him on his back. When he slept on his back he would sleep poorly and we'd hear gurgling.

We later learned he had reflux.

But even before we knew this, we made the decision to allow him to sleep as he was comfortable! His crib a had crisp bedsheet pulled tight. He had no pillow to reduce the risk of re-breathing. He wore warm jammies rather than giving him blankets for the same reason.

I believe that allowing a baby to sleep as comfortable (on back, side or belly) would prevent a lot of reflux, while being mindful to keep the bedding environment free of CO2 trapping objects. In my opinion this is a much better approach than universally demanding back-sleeping.

Posted by: edeldoug | October 8, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

"Most SIDS deaths occur in fall or winter." ... times of the year we don't have our fans on...hmmm. Maybe the next study should be finding a significant correlation between leaving our A/C on "ON" year-round rather than auto, so that air is continuously circulated, and SIDS cases. Maybe it would help prove the "stale air" cause of SIDS.

Posted by: Mark A. | October 8, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

This article states that "pacifier use may be linked to SIDS", which is completely opposite from what our pediatrician told us and this 2005 study by the American Academy of Pediatrics (http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;116/5/1245). So, has the position on pacifiers changed?

Posted by: Chris | October 8, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

This article gets its information about pacifiers exactly wrong. Putting a baby to sleep with a pacifier is associated with LOWERING the risk of SIDS.
For the Revised (2005) AAP guidelines:

For the webmd overview:

Posted by: Mateo | October 8, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

I must say as a parent of an infant that deis due to SIDS I would love to see more research on this diagnosis. Sixteen years ago when my daughter passed away she was on her back so the back to sleep and other means of preventing SIDS does not sit very well with me. As a parent you are going to worry but remember GOD is the only person in control. Please continue the research efforts of this devastating condition for the sake of all babies and parents.

Posted by: Kim Kennedy | October 8, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

It's funny because the Koreans appear to believe the opposite:

Posted by: silver spring | October 8, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

The Wall Street Journal article covering the same Kaiser study also contradicts this article's statement about pacifiers (siting the same 2005 AAP study).

Posted by: Chris | October 8, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I am agreeing with earlier posts about the paci-SID link - the research supports USING a paci to prevent SIDS. If this author has found something new or different, please provide the source!

Posted by: Pro Paci | October 8, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Kim, if God is the only person in control, does that mean God kills all these babies every year?

Also, in case some of you don't know what reducing risk means, reducing risk means that there is less of a chance (not no chance) of the problem occurring when you do "X". So, putting babies on their backs to sleep REDUCES, but does not eliminate, the risk of SIDS.

Posted by: Bryan | October 8, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

for decades the same groups of experts said sleep em on their belly. if one is to believe their hype they've "saved" many with the "back to sleep" campaign. how many did they help kill with the contrary advice they dispensed "expertly" for decades

Posted by: ed | October 8, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

In France we are used to have the babies sleep on their back. Some studies say that premature babies enjoy the smell of vanilia and it provides a kind of stimulation. I would say that fresh air (no more than 19°c), in a clean room is well enough. No pillow, no teddy bear, no pet in the house, a pacifier, and a "turbulette", a kind of sleeping bag from which the head and the arms are left outside. Also we often use the respiratory physiotherapy to help the babies eject the phlegm rather than complicate medecine programs. Daddy snoring and "white noise" could stimulate their senses too, but we always left our babies in their own bedwith a firm mattress.

Posted by: Michèle | October 8, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if any one has done a study to link SIDS with overweight babies?

Posted by: Curious | October 8, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I feel all these studies should be treated as suggestions, not fact. My son *always* hated sleeping on his back, and with his spitting up, so did I. So he slept with me for the first couple weeks-- simply so I could be right there to help him not aspirate. As soon as he was rolling over, he was sleeping on his tummy.

You can make yourself even crazier by listening to all this information. I think the key is to use common sense and check with your ped. with questions. Although the bedroom is off-limits to the cats, I see no reason to have a pet-free environment. Mine stay out of baby's arm's reach and have since day one.

And Bryan, what an asinine remark to a mother who lost a child. Give it a rest, already.

Posted by: dahozho | October 8, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

This article states that using a pacifier is linked to SIDS deaths. This is an uniformed and possibly inaccurate statement, as the American Acedemy of Pediatrics convened a task force on SIDS deaths and saw a correlation between pacifier use and a DECREASE in deaths. Some sources even recommend pacifier use for the first 6-12 months of an infant's life, not only for non-nutritive sucking but also because of its correlation to fewer SIDS deaths.

Posted by: Kristin | October 8, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

COMMON SENSE-FLAME RETARDANT CHEMICALS AND FUNGUS GROWTH IN OLDER MATTRESSES-HENCE FAN HELPS TO FRESHEN AIR-HENCE BACK SLEEPING HELPS TO KEEP BABY'S NOSE FROM BEING PRESSED AGAINST MATTRESS BREATHING CHEMICALS.

Posted by: ANITA | October 8, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

My son's doctor strongly recommended that our sleep with is pacifier. He said it keeps him moving, never falling into a deep sleep. Have any others been given the same advice?

Posted by: Rick | October 8, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

www.healthychild.com

Posted by: Bonnie | October 8, 2008 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I hate you vaccination-haters. Go back to living in the dark ages, when life expectancy was 30 years.

Posted by: al | October 8, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

No one has commented on smoking. Babies need a smoke free environment(as do children and adults).

Posted by: Mary | October 8, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dahozho | October 8, 2008 9:44 AM

Thank you, dahozho. My thoughts exactly.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | October 8, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Our son is now 5 but I was always a stickler for having him sleep on his back - even when the grandmothers disagreed. Make sure that everyone who cares/babysits for your infant knows about Back-to-Sleep. Our moms didn't until we told them. When he would get a cold, we used a wedge to raise up his head, but it was UNDER the fitted sheet. We also didn't use any type of soft bedding, including bumpers in his crib (and he never got stuck).

Posted by: Mom | October 8, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I'm no expert but I wonder if SIDS is caused by a brain-malfunction. In a basic biology class we learned the brain makes a major change somewhere around 3 months then again at 2 years. I wonder if the babies have sleep apnea, then when the brain functions are switching over the brain 'forgets' to reawaken the baby to breathe. Sleeping on one's back makes the baby sleep lighter and perhaps since he never falls into a deep, deep sleep the sleep apnea is abated until the brain is mature enough to do it's job of awakening the child when oxygen levels get too low. In some ways it is a major inconvenience for the parent knowing your child will sleep less deeply and soundly, but on the other hand you'd never forgive yourself if you knew you could have prevented it but chose not to.

Posted by: sarah | October 8, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Thank you to all the readers who pointed out my error in stating that pacifier use is related to SIDS; you are correct in saying that in fact pacifier use is thought to decrease infants' risk of SIDS. I have corrected the blog, and I appreciate your setting me straight.

Posted by: Jennifer Huget | October 8, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Studies in New Zealand by Dr. Sprott have shown that without a doubt, mattress wrapping prevents SIDS because off gassing from mattresses that are sprayed with fire retardants are to blame for SIDS. This is yet another study that supports this. Gasses from mattresses lay low to the mattress, which babies are more likely to breath in if they sleep on their face. If the air is circulated by a fan, the gasses are less likely to get to babies airways. Please see http://www.cotlife2000.co.nz/ for more info. Please also note that in New Zealand "cots" are cribs. Please also note: NO BABIES HAVE EVER DIED OF SIDS ON A PROPERLY WRAPPED MATTRESS!!!

Posted by: Michelle L | October 8, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Bryan YOU ARE A JERK!! WHAT A HEARTLESS PERSON YOU ARE!!

Posted by: Jamie | October 8, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

From all that I can gather, SIDS and many other infant maladies may be caused by vaccines containing thimerisol. This substance was removed from contact lens solutions many years ago, but only recently in (not all) vaccines.

Posted by: Rob from Boston | October 8, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Thimerosal was removed from vaccines in 2001 if that was the culprit as so many people believe we would have seen a DRAMATIC drop in cases by now.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

There may be a bad side effect from ventilating babies with bedroom fan. When those babies ride in car, they may stick their head out the window for windy blows.

Posted by: larry | October 8, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Who remembers being an infant? that author is full of it.

Posted by: In disbelief | October 8, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

My son died of SIDS in December 1988.

All of our children born after my son wore a SIDS monitor for the first year of their life. These monitors are designed to startle (Scare) the child into breathing again if their heart rates or respiratory rates fall below a certain level.

We were told by our Kaiser Permanente doctor and the coroner that SIDS could be as simple as the brain not sending the signal to breathe.

Although I agree with the second part of Bryan's comments, I hope he never has to experience this for himself. It's devastating and comments by ignorant fools don't help.

Posted by: Eric | October 8, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

These are the same people that said DDT and Dioxin were safe.. These are the same people who said that smoking is good for you.. These are the same people who say (at least as of last week) that melamine is good for you and we should watch out because if china "makes food that isnt poisonous" then "prices will go up at walmart".

Who are you going to believe, me or your own 2 eyes? Go find out for yourself.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 8, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I was glad to see this article made it into the Checkup. I was a reviewer for this paper when it was submitted to the journal where the article eventually got published. I raised numerous concerns about the methodology used in this study several of which I am glad to see some of you have picked up on (e.g., the time of year). One very important thing for you all to know is that this research is only based on SIX cases. In other words, there were only 6 infants in this study that died from SIDS and their parents reported fan use. That is a ridiculously small number of cases to base any conclusions on, and I wish the media would be more careful in the studies they select to splash all over their newspapers. Articles like this do a disservice to parents and I'm disappointed to see that it got published at all.

Posted by: An epidemiologist | October 8, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"Thimerosal was NOT removed from vaccines... They just made "special lots" available on request.. But, people dont know that and just take whatever they get at the doctor. I don't mind vaccines, infact I have taken a few on special order as I mentioned for my travels. However, if anyone thinks inject mercury and/or aluminum particulates into their blood stream is a good idea... we'll i'd say they're just plain insane."

Worldwide conspiracy Huh? Use facts not urban myths please.

Posted by: Scientist | October 8, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

People have trouble falling into the traps of logical fallacy. The conspiracy theory is one of the more comical. If Clinton couldn't keep his White House dalliances under wraps, how likely is a whole-wide conspiracy?

As for the Cult of Dr. Sears, I will only point out that he has never published a peer-reviewed article. His credentials are no stronger than the average pediatrician.

As for SIDS, it's horrifying and seemingly random, and I hope that some day the causes (and treatments/preventative strategies) are clear. In the meantime, my infants will sleep on their backs in their own, virtually bare spaces with pacifiers. I may now add a fan, since we use a white noise machine anyway.

Posted by: atb | October 8, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Again, I encourage all of you to not make any hasty decisions about your childcare based on the results of a study with only six cases. There is no evidence that a fan is harmful (as far as I know) but I would argue that there is little evidence to show that it is helpful.

Posted by: An epidemiologist | October 8, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@ Kim, May God bless you and continue to comfort you at the loss of your baby girl. I, too, have grieved for many years over the death of my baby girl- Rorita Lynn- not due to SIDS, but due to a very late term abortion performed "two days" before the legal cutoff age of 6 months gestation according to the abortionist. Whatever! I was a teenager and my folks were more concerned about "appearances". I wouldn't wish this thirty years of grief on my worse enemy. Thank God my husband and I were blessed with many more children.

@ Bryan. Yes, God is in control of what happens on his Earth, and He is knows all things including that a precious baby will succumb to SIDS. It is faulty logic, however, to suggest that just because someone knows something that they are also the cause of it. You know there are starving children in the world. Does that mean you are the cause of the starvation? No, but you can stop it just like God could prevent a death if that is His will. I believe things happen for a reason even if we don't immediately see the bigger picture. Our puny brains could never understand why certain things happen to some and not others.

Statistically, I should have had loss more than one baby to SIDS: my babies were african american, around second hand smoke, slept on their bellies, were from a lower income family, and did not have fans in their bedroom. What do researchers make of that? This is not to boast, this is to say that God is in control- not man. As with anything, the question is not WHY ME? but rather WHY NOT ME? in other words, should a parent feel they are too special or important to suffer such grief, but it's okay for another parent to suffer instead of them? We shouldn't think so highly of ourselves. We all have our crosses to bear...

Posted by: Tracye | October 8, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

My wife breastfeeds and our children sleep in the bed with us until they ween themselves.

Posted by: ProfWrightBSU | October 8, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

As the parent of a 5 month old, I found this study valuable. SIDS is not a cause of death, it is a catch-all term for unexplained deaths that occur when an infant is sleeping. Since the cause is unknown, most research focuses on finding correlations (as opposed to causality) between SIDS cases and other factors. Putting an infant to sleep on his stomach/back isn't going to cause/prevent SIDS per se, it's just that they've found far fewer rates of SIDS among babies that sleep on their backs. The recommendations (which will always change over time as more is learned and our knowledge increases) are simply a way of advising us how to best "play the odds" to minimize the likelihood of a tragedy.

It's also pretty clear that most of the recommendations (sleep on their backs, no loose blankets or crib bumpers, firm mattress, avoid smoking in the house, etc.) have one thing in common: preventing ways in which an infant's breathing and/or access to fresh oxygen can become interrupted. It should be no surprise that using a fan to circulate the air in the room (which would only help spread oxygen and dissipate any CO2 the infant exhales) would show additional benefits.

That there are more instances of SIDS in spring and fall is not surprising...more people turn off their A/C or heat during these seasons (less air circulation) and compensate for the cool temperatures with blankets (which should not be placed over infants since they may pull them up over their faces but not be able to get them off, resulting in suffocation or rebreathing of exhaled CO2). I have also heard of the "off gassing" theory about chemicals in mattresses, which seems logical, but in actuality none of the best selling crib mattresses have been linked to any cases of this happening (and I was all set to spend an extra $100 for an organic mattress until a friend and I checked this out).

On a side note about vaccines, Thimerosal is a preservatives that was put in vaccines that were packaged in large, multi-dose containers. Most children's vaccines are now available in Thimerosal-free versions because they are packaged in single dose vials that eliminate the need for a preservative. The suspicions about Thimerosal are more about autism than SIDS, although there's still no conclusive link. Still, even if it's harmless, would you want it injected into your child? We've had no problems making sure our pediatrician uses only Thimerosal-free versions while keeping up to date with the vaccination schedule (the schedule being a WHOLE other issue/controversy I'll save for another post).

Posted by: Scott | October 8, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I have a 3 and a half month old and he's swaddled and in a wedge on his back every night. He's also in his own crib on a firm mattress. It's scary to think that SIDS is a threat for the entire first year. We're getting comfortable letting him sleep until he wakes himself up for food, but we both checked on him frequently for the 1st two months. He was a premie and low birth weight baby too :(

Posted by: Mike | October 8, 2008 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Correction --> My wife breastfeeds, and our children sleep in the bed with us until they ween themselves, and I snore like a grizzly bear with a stuffy nose.

Posted by: Michèle
..Daddy snoring and "white noise" could stimulate their senses too, but we always left our babies in their own bed with a firm mattress.

Posted by: ProfWrightBSU | October 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Early diagnosis of postpartum depression can also assist in preventing infants from intentional suffocation, which can sometimes be misdiagnosed as SIDS.

Posted by: Kacoo | October 8, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

This adds more support to the toxic nerve gas theory explained in Dr TJ Sprott's book "The Cot Death Coverup." There's plenty about this on the web too. Google Dr TJ Sprott or "babesafe" and take it from there. The media rarely to never mentions this best kept secret about "SIDS."

Posted by: Scott P | October 8, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I see the toxic nerve gas theory came up. I wrote about that years ago on observationhubie.blospot.com. Use the blog search engine and type in SIDS.

Posted by: Hubie59 | October 8, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I say, why not do everything you possibly can to help keep your baby safe? People who argue that their babies sleep better on their tummies make no sense to me. Wouldn't you rather have a baby who is alive than one who lets you get a full night's sleep?

But we found a solution that worked for us... We actually had our son sleep in his portable car seat for the first 3 months of his life (he's 15 months now). It was the best of all worlds: he was a bit upright to help stomach acid stay down, sleeping on his back, and unable to roll around. We actually did it b/c he had this grumbling, uncomfortable breathing (mild reflux, I think) and as soon as we had him sleep in his car seat, he started sleeping great. Plus, I could put it right next to the bed. The doc didn't have any problem with it.

Posted by: Jen | October 8, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Ceiling fans make more sense in a nursery, because unlike plug-in floor or table fans, parents won’t have to worry about safety issues such as tripping over cords or the fan being knocked down by a toddler or pet.

Posted by: Barbara | October 8, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

As a new mother of twin boys (that are only 3 weeks) that came at 35 weeks and weighed just over 5 pounds each (and having had 2 miscarrages) im very worried about SIDS!!!!! But everything that I have read does not go together! I think that its all in gods hands, if he wants to take the child he gave you so be it. There is nothing we can do when it is your time it is your time. Im not saying that its easy to loose a baby but you cant stop it.

Posted by: j martinez | October 8, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

There are also safety issues with babies left alone (especially to sleep) in car seats, because their heads can tilt in such a way as to obstruct their breathing.

"The main reason to avoid putting your baby to sleep in a car seat is that there is a very small association with SIDS. "

"'When your baby falls asleep in her car safety seat, it can be tempting to bring her inside and leave her alone in the seat, but this can be unsafe,' the AAP says. "

"Never leave your baby or toddler to sleep in the car seat or carrier. Children have died or been injured by being left to sleep in a car seat or carrier after the parents arrived at their destination. The victims either fell out, became tangled in the straps or choked to death when their head fell forward and closed off their airway. Do not succumb to the temptation to leave your sleeping baby in the car seat -- even if you do bring the car seat into the house. Instead, put the baby to bed in a proper bassinet or crib -- even if it means having to rock the baby to sleep again."

Posted by: R Brown | October 9, 2008 6:16 AM | Report abuse

I lost a 2 mo. old boy to SIDS 12 years ago this Oct. He was put to sleep on his back and also used a pacifier. I am not sure that anything can ever prevent this from happening unless there is an accurate diagnoses. I just find it funny that there are so many ignorant rants about something that so many of you people have NO understanding about. You all need to be more careful of hurtful comments, because remember there are precious mothers and fathers that are looking for answers,and they have just lost there little babies. To all that have lost, Time does heal broken hearts, but you never forget or replace that little one. Please be careful of your remarks, people draw strength from different sources, such as God and friends and family. Let's not pretend that we know what they face unless we have walked in the shoes of these families.

Posted by: Jennifer | October 10, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

(Amen Jennifer who posted on October 10, 2008 12:41 PM) Jennifer, you hit it on the nail. My son, Nathan, died 25 years ago at 6 and 1/2 months old and the cause of death is unknown. He was with the babysitter when he died. Any unknown reason is tagged as sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). I would give anything, ANYTHING to of had this advice or ANY advice like this 25 years ago, who knows it just may have saved Nathan's life. With that in mind, don't take these theories lightly or joke about them. This is serious stuff for parent's whose child has died from SIDS or for those parent's who will do what ever it takes to protect their child from sudden death. And, may I add there are NO words that can console the heart of a mother or father that have had a child of theirs die whether it is SIDS or any other form of death. I will carry a grave sadness in my heart, over the death of Nathan, until the day I die. My email address is: nathan@new.rr.com, for anyone who would like to talk about this. Be careful!

Posted by: Nancy | October 10, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse