Is there room for deep-fried Pop-Tarts in your diet?

I'm in an interesting position as a health and nutrition writer, because I haven't always upheld the best health and nutrition practices. Fact is, I was an overweight slug for much of my young adulthood, and I used to love fast food, fried stuff and especially sweets.

Nowadays my eating and exercise habits are much improved, thanks in large part to my Me Minus 10 campaign, and I no longer crave the fatty/sugary/salty snacks of my youth. I'm actually at the point where I'd choose a nice slab of grilled salmon over a fried fisherman's platter.

But still there are times when I break from my mostly healthful routine and sample something gawd-awful, just for the fun of it. I'll never regret sharing a burger at a state fair with my son a few years ago, even though that burger was served on a doughnut instead of a bun. And now I find I have a hankering to try a deep-fried Pop-Tart.

As I write in this week's "Eat, Drink and Be Healthy" column, I went to Ocean City, Maryland, for a vacation a couple of weeks ago. I've been going there forever, and boardwalk food is in my blood. But it's not notoriously good for your waistline. I wondered whether I could navigate the boards, enjoying my old favorite foods without gaining weight. Turns out it's not that hard to do if you choose your treats carefully and practice portion control.

There was a time, though, when simply sampling such foods would have sent me into a tailspin, reverting to my old ways of eating. Am I just more mature now than I was before? Or have I finally figured out, at age 49, how to manage my eating habits once and for all?

How do you handle vacation eating? Do you trust yourself to try some less-than-great-for-you treats? Or do you worry that eating those foods is a slippery slope, a gateway back to your bad old ways? Share your thoughts in the comments section, and please take a moment to vote in today's poll!

By Jennifer LaRue Huget  |  August 31, 2010; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Me Minus 10 , Nutrition and Fitness , Obesity
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NIH shuts down its own stem cell research
Next: Obama administration appeals stem cell funding decision

Comments

Since I have Type 2 diabetes (controklled with diet and medication), I always watch what I eat. I especially watch my portions for desserts and other treats. Then I watch my fasting blood sugar level each morning, and adjust my food intact for that day appropriately.

Posted by: rlguenther | August 31, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

When you go to a fun place you are supposed to eat fun food.
I don't go to fast food places like KFC or Burger King because I consider it to be highly immoral. Animal farms are horrible things, but economically necessary to accommodate the huge demands made on them by consumers who want more, more, and more.

Posted by: leslieswearingen | August 31, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Hi, Jennifer. Vacation and travel pose a lot of interesting challenges for all that are watching their intake - whether fit or unfit. I did an experiment with travel-eating on my last trip to Europe and posted it on my blog. I think you and your readers might like the info I put together on how to eat healthy and inexpensively. I also think a trip goes better when well-fed. Here's a link http://bit.ly/9oHWv0

Posted by: LuciFit | August 31, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

My gracious! A deep-fried pop tart! Do we need any more proof that there is a conspiracy to shorten the average life span? Sounds disgusting! Not that I'm against deep-fried. I love deep-fried every once in a while. I actually went into mourning when McDonald's announced that they would no longer serve deep-fried apple pies. But pop tarts? I can't imagine.

Posted by: forgetthis | August 31, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Where's the recipe for the deep-fried Pop-tart?

Posted by: summerandwinter | August 31, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for informing me of the deep-fried Pop-Tart. Not that I have any inclination to try it (I actually have a pretty healthy diet but I have a real sweet tooth), but my boot camp partner is the healthiest eater I've ever met. I love to torment her w/ things like this. I wasn't sure I could top detailing a Fluffer Nutter sandwich to her but this could do it (especially if I threaten to feed it to her son). The next class is going to be fun!

Posted by: mstevens357 | August 31, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

A hamburger on a donut? Eww. A deep-fried pop tart? Bleh.

Posted by: cmckeonjr | August 31, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

There is room for every food in your diet, remember it's all about proportion sizes and moderation. Keep these high calorie foods to a minimum, but yes you can have them from time to time.

kyle