Grill Washpost's education team for free!

You've exposed our flaws in comments here, and in email, but that wasn't emotionally satisfying, was it? Now you have a chance to reveal our mistakes and distortions to us in person, in a big room at a local high school where we will be obliged to sit there and take it.

Come to the auditorium of Richard Montgomery High School at 250 Montgomery Road in Rockville (behind the big Marlo furniture store on Rockville Pike) between 6 and 8 p.m. this Wednesday, March 24. We promise to be there.

The Post's first Town Hall Meeting for its Education Team will include me, my boss Education Editor Craig Timberg, Craig's boss Local Editor Emilio Garcia-Ruiz, and as a special attraction for the teen demographic, our Maryland schools' reporter Mike Birnbaum.

Birnbaum is a brilliant young reporter. At age 24 he is the only one of us with any memory of what it was like actually to attend school, so he will provide a special perspective.

All questions are welcome. Has testing gone too far? Are private schools better than public ones? Should Montgomery County keep superintendent Jerry Weast. What stories is the Post missing? Please come and help us sort it out.

It will be after work, we will be relaxed, with no immediate deadlines. There is no telling what company secrets we might reveal in such circumstances. Any questions, just email me at mathewsj@washpost.com. And please RSVP the organizer, David Jones, at jonesdj@washpost.com.

By Jay Mathews  | March 19, 2010; 11:34 AM ET
Categories:  Jay on the Web  | Tags:  Washington Post education team forum, embarrassing questions welcome
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Do schools change? Not much.
Next: Principal, teacher clash on cheating

Comments

It is over a year since the only real standardized tests of public schools were given in February 2009 by the government and the results for the 4th grade and 8th grade tests in Reading are still not available.

There still has not been an article regarding this by the Washington Post or question regarding how the federal government can speak of local computer systems that will supposedly provide instant results to teachers while the federal government takes over a year and still does not have the results of tests given in 2009.

Posted by: bsallamack | March 19, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

good question, bsallamack. I will seek some input from our national education reporter, Nick Anderson, on that.

Posted by: Jay Mathews | March 19, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh, great! I've have ensemble practice Wednesday evening.

Posted by: edlharris | March 19, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

For bsallamack: here is what Nick said:

"What I was told is that the reading format changed this round, and they needed to do a fair amount of technical work to make results comparable to those from prvs years. But there may be more to it."

Posted by: Jay Mathews | March 19, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Getting there in rush hour will be a big pain but I'm tempted... :-)

Posted by: tstahmer | March 19, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

For bsallamack: here is what Nick said:

Posted by: Jay Mathews | March 19, 2010 3:28 PM
........................
Imagine "teach to the test" for a number of years in the elementary schools.

There is no way this can be done in Reading while it can be done in Math.

So of course Math is stressed while Reading takes a distant back seat.

I would imagine the 4th grade Reading test results have gone down.

"Technical work to make results comparable" sounds as though they are simply trying to fudge the tests results to hide low test results.

This is a story and your reporter should be following up on it.

Posted by: bsallamack | March 20, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I admit a certain curiousity as to why the Post's website pulled the article on cheating at Wilson from this page (it can be accessed by searching however)

I wish I could make the open house, because despite my complaining about things you say at times, I actually think the Post does a really good job covering local education and you are a big part of that. /praise

Posted by: Wyrm1 | March 21, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Wyrm1. That is very kind of you. I don't think we intentionally pulled the column. But sometimes on Monday there are some difficulties in making sure all readers are directed to the blog version of the column, not the one that goes to the Metro section, so that I can get all the comments in one place, and get full credit for all page views. The blog version will generally be a bit longer because I don't have to cut it if there are last minute space problems with the Metro page version.

Posted by: Jay Mathews | March 22, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse