Class Struggle: December 5, 2010 - December 11, 2010

Jay vs. Valerie: Who needs Teach For America?

My colleague Valerie Strauss, czarina of the irresistible The Answer Sheet blog on washingtonpost.com, and I rarely get to see each other. But we do have interesting arguments, and occasionally share them with readers. Here is one she started by saying something in her column, which runs regularly in the Post's Monday Metro section, that irked me:

By Jay Mathews  | December 10, 2010; 5:30 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (56)
Categories:  Trends  | Tags:  Jay Mathews, Jays says it draws top talent into teaching and educational entreupreneurship, Valerie Strauss, Valerie says it does not produce many good teachers, debate over Teach For America
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz

Why urban schools don't need gifted programs

God dispenses his blessings and talents to poor and minority kids, too, so our cities have many gifted children. Unfortunately public schools, including those in the suburbs, rarely have the resources or teaching expertise to challenge them much. For urban schools, the standard gifted and talented system is often a waste of time.

By Jay Mathews  | December 9, 2010; 8:00 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (53)
Categories:  Local Living  | Tags:  Jaime Escalante, Standing and Delivering,, raising the level of all kids, under Gradillas non-GT kids were doing better than GT, why urban schools don't need gifted and talented programs. Henry Gradillas

Dunbar leaders bounced, what next?

My colleague Bill Turque just informed me that as I feared, the Friends of Bedford group has been removed as administrators of Dunbar High. (See long post directly below for details in that clash.) I will have more to say about this in my Monday Metro section column. For now, I welcome comment from people who know Dunbar emailed to me at mathewsj@washpost.com. We should also say a few prayers for Stephen Jackson, last year's principal at Dunbar, whose firing by the Bedford group apparently precipitated these events. Turque tells me Jackson is being put back in charge, which means if test scores slump and the security situation doesn't improve, it is going to be all on him, and the people who put him back on the job. Let's hope he and they succeed.

By Jay Mathews  | December 8, 2010; 7:21 PM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (4)
Categories:  Jay on the Web  | Tags:  Dunbar High School, Friends of Bedford ousted as administrators, Stephen Jackson returns as principal, pressure on him to succeed

Bad old D.C. school politics threaten progress

The first test of soon-to-be mayor Vincent Gray’s effort to maintain the momentum of D.C. school improvement went well. He said all the right things after being elected and put on his education transition committee people closely associated with the city’s most successful public schools. The second test, his handling of accusations of lax security at Dunbar High School, is less impressive so far.

By Jay Mathews  | December 7, 2010; 10:00 AM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (39)
Categories:  Jay on the Web  | Tags:  Coolidge High School, Dunbar High School, Friends of Bedford group, George Leonard, Kaya Henderson, Vincent Gray, local community opponents of Bedford ignore academic progress, rape charged at Dunbar, situation called chaotic

Jay is NOT retiring

Some readers tell me they have interpreted my planned 2011 move to California, mentioned in the first paragraph of my post just below this one, as a retirement announcement. Not so. I plan to continue the blog with even...

By Jay Mathews  | December 6, 2010; 1:25 PM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (3)
Categories:  Jay on the Web

Fewer fancy tests, less hiding of exams

A McLean High School father complained to me recently about teachers not letting his children take their graded exams home so they could get a better sense of their errors. It was an anti-cheating measure that seemed to frustrate learning. I did my Local Living column about it, assuming it was an isolated phenomenon. Wrong again. The online version of the column got 68 comments, three times as many as I usually get. E-mails poured in.

By Jay Mathews  | December 5, 2010; 8:00 PM ET  |  Permalink  |  Comments (35)
Categories:  Metro Monday  | Tags:  hiding graded exams, parents and students frustrated they can't take exams home to learn from mistakes, parents say teachers could write new questions and are lazy, problem is districts are creating their own standardized tests and don't want to release them, teachers say they want to stop cheating, tutors denied chance to analyze errors, why not just let the state tests be standardized and let district tests go home?