Antiabortion exhibit comes to U. of Maryland

Antiabortion activists at the University of Maryland are hosting a two-day exhibit on campus called the Genocide Awareness Project, a photo mural with 16 panels, each measuring 6-feet by 12-feet and depicting an aborted fetus.

The point is to portray abortion as genocide. The exhibit compares abortion to historic genocides in Nazi Germany and Cambodia as well as the American institution of slavery and the civil rights era.

"We're showing the reality of what happens to the pre-born when they go through an abortion," said Kurt Linnemann, executive director of the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform in Maryland.

(Be forewarned, the Web site features graphic abortion footage.)

Linnemann said the exhibit, on display until 4 p.m. Tuesday, has drawn many U-Md. students, with a roughly 60-40 split opposed to the display, "either because they're pro-choice or they protest the comparison to genocide."

Follow College Inc. on Twitter.

By Daniel de Vise  | September 14, 2010; 11:20 AM ET
Categories:  Students  | Tags:  Genocide Awareness Project, UMD abortion exhibit, UMD abortion pictures, University of Maryland abortion exhibit, anti-abortion University Maryland
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Northwestern links alumni gifts to rankings
Next: Georgetown announces largest gift in history

Comments

I'd like toknow whether Mr. Linneman's organization (1) supports comprehensive, scientifically valid sexuality education and(2) full access to all means of contraception. If he and his organization are actually serious about decreasing the number of abortions performed in the state of Maryland certainly he would agree that preventing unplanned pregnancies is important.

Presumably the U of Md will also make space available to pro-choice organizations as well.

Posted by: sanderling5 | September 14, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Who says my MD tax dollars should lend support to a mysoginist orgnization that actively seeks to deprive women of the right to control their own bodies and destiny? I hope heads roll at U MD- another bad choice. My guess is that the administration will try to justify such garbage as 'free speech' or 'academic freedom' when it is notheing more than regressive blather. U Md a 'scholarly' institution-NOT!!

Posted by: soccerhead | September 14, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I am heartened that UMCP would allow this exhibit on its campus. It speaks to the fact that as a higher education institution it does allow space for differing views to be expressed and discussed on campus. Will it offend some students and some members of the public? No doubt. I am sure the x-rated movie shown last year in the Stamp Student Union offended people, too, but I recall a large number of students supporting the airing of the film under their right to free speech and freedom of expression. Sanderling5, you have no need to imagine anti-free-speech "brown shirts" at UMCP--you can rest assured that pro-choice perspectives are well-represented and discussed among the student body and faculty at UMCP. Soccerhead, if you worry about MD tax dollars being used to fund a "misogynist organization" (as you deem it), I can assure you that your MD tax dollars are most certainly being used to pay for abortions. You can sleep soundly knowing that taxpayers, pro-life and pro-choice, are duly funding abortions so that as not "to deprive women of the right to control their own bodies and destiny."

Posted by: jbuettner2 | September 14, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

More people trying to tell women how to deal with their health and bodies. You don't believe in abortion, fine. Don't get one. Otherwise, keep your Daddy State out of the lives of others.

Posted by: jckdoors | September 14, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please explain what "telling women how to deal with their own bodies" has to do with the murdering of innocent babies? If you don't have the courage to look at the pictures and understand exactly what they are, then that is your choice. But don't for a second try to pretend they're not important.

Posted by: Fletch834 | September 14, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

I had a colonoscopy two years ago, and it saved my life. the doctors were able to find and remove two growths that were becoming cancerous.
The doctor let me keep some photos of those growths there inside my colon.
I'm starting a group now to promote awareness about the importance of colonoscopies and how they save lives.

Think the University of Maryland would allow me to set up six foot high panels with photos of the inside of my colon and and individuals undergoing the procedure?

I'm trying to save lives! Look at my Rectum!

Posted by: MarilynManson | September 14, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

It would seem to me that these "Pro-Choicers" are more pro-abortion (though they deny it) than "pro-CHOICE", seeing that they apparently don't want such display to take place on that campus, ridiculizing it or just saying "beh, whole bunch of anti-abortionists."

And yeah, what's up with people insisting on the woman's body and her right over her body... There is a life inside of her... That's not *her* body, it's a different, separate life, and a very innocent life at that: a baby!

Posted by: J1Militans | September 14, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

@jckdoors,
Eh.... You don't like slavery, do you? Do me a favor and do have a slave while I keep mine.
And you don't like rape, do you? Don't rape anyone then.

@MarilynManson, Sure, go ahead set up your display, but please do not show yourself a fool by comparing that with an abortion, which not only destroys a unique, irreplaceable human life, and not only is it legal (like killing Jews was legal in Nazi Germany), but it happens a lot: Approximately 3,700 in the US alone every day.

Posted by: J1Militans | September 14, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

[correction] - "don't have a slave"

Posted by: J1Militans | September 14, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

[correction] - "don't have a slave"

Posted by: J1Militans | September 14, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse