Posted at 6:00 AM ET, 08/29/2008

The Morning Line: Taking Lynn Johnston's Spot on The Post Pages Is...

By Michael Cavna

When we announced Wednesday that The Post will drop "For Better or For Worse" from the print-edition's funnypages, many of the nearly 200 responses we received included at least two of these three questions (and we paraphrase wildly):

1. What on Earth are you thinking, you shortsighted fools -- how can you drop one of the greatest, most affecting strips ever?!?
2. What on Earth took you so long, you slow-reacting fools, to drop one of the sappiest, most cloying strips ever?!?
3. What comic, pray tell, will fill that space?

Those first two questions fall outside our jurisdiction. We have forwarded your comments to the proper authorities. As for the third question, though, we can shed light:

The comic that will now get a marquee position on our comics page is "Little Dog Lost," by Ohio-based artist Steve Boreman. The strip was launched by Washington Post Writers Group in March of 2007.

Will culture-vultures loom over this Little Dog? (WPWG) Enlarge Comic

Amy Lago, the syndicate's Comics Editor, describes the strip as an adventure story about a dog trying to get home -- while being followed by a vulture that's waiting for Little Dog to die so the vulture can eat him.

"Although that sounds morbid, it is, in fact, just nature," Lago says. "Which is really what the strip is about -- both the natural world around us and how we humans relate to it. And 'Little Dog Lost' is a parable about human nature, too."

Given their fickle nature, will comics readers embrace this Little Dog? As it makes its debut next week, we invite your reactions.

Now on to this week's RIFFY AWARDS:

Toilet humor gets us every time. (UFS) Enlarge Comic

1. PEARLS BEFORE SWINE: Literally laughed out loud. 'Nuff said.

Is that MSNBC in-fighting we're feeling run up our leg? (UPS) Enlarge Comic

2. DOONESBURY: This is an inspired two-fer, spoofing both the convention's personalities (and stagecraft) AND the MSNBC personalities. And why, exactly, does Chris Matthews keep referencing this feeling shooting up his leg?

"IMHO: pls stop 2-ez txt-msg gags!!!" (UPS) Enlarge

3. BIZARRO: This panel is sometimes superb, but this particular gag gets the thumbs-down Miffy. Why? Because grafting "text-messaging" jokes onto other historic scenarios was played out quite some time ago. Please, a memo to all cartoonists and professional gag writers: Stop before we soon have a texting caveman, Pony Express hoss or carrier pigeon!

What are your picks from this week's Riffys and Miffys? Bring 'em on...

By Michael Cavna  | August 29, 2008; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Riff: When Comics Literally Show Their Age...
Next: The E-Mailbag: Obama, Clinton and the Caption Contest!

Comments

Because Chris Matthews is holding it too.

Posted by: buggit | August 29, 2008 6:43 AM | Report abuse

Regarding the print edition - does anyone actually buy newspapers anymore?

Posted by: Joseph | August 29, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I subscribe to the dead-tree version of the Post, and the "funny papers" are one of the main reasons - I like to read the comics when I have a spare minute or two here and there, away from my computer. However, the strips have shrunk so much now that I have trouble reading them without a magnifying glass. It's far easier to view them on the computer screen at a much larger size. I am considering dropping my Post subscription for just that reason.

Posted by: Seismic-2 | August 29, 2008 8:06 AM | Report abuse

My my, Hobbes sure has let himself go.

Posted by: Mr. Rubino | August 29, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I'll be out of town next week. When I get back, I'll toss metro, sports, business (after catching up on Dilbert), and classified. I'll scan the news, mostly for the politics; they probably don't care about the convention where I'm going. I'll read Fairfax, Outlook, and the Sunday fluff sections.

Then I'll spend a few days catching up on the comics, two or three days per day.

Sorry about the trees, but I need my fix. :)

Posted by: f2 | August 29, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Love that "Little Dog"!! The Ivory Billed Woodpecker lives! Will "LDL" be online, too?

Posted by: Kass | August 29, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

If the example of LDL in this blog entry is typical, I'll be adding this to the Mark Trail Do Not Read list. My partner pays for the subscription but we mostly read the paper online. Can't drop it, though, 'cause I need my daily Suduko fix.

Posted by: Arlington Gay | August 29, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

I have been reading LDL on "go comics" for several months. It is one of the best!

Posted by: mcw | August 29, 2008 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I've tried to get into LDL, but I haven't. I don't think it's designed to be a typical strip ... it's more of a zen thing about animal behavior. And I don't think it makes it particular well-suited for the comics page. Maybe a graphic novel, if you're into softer themes and subtle explorations of an animal's nature. I like joy and absurdity and most of all laughs when I read comics. Lio, Pearls, Pooch.

Posted by: Jasper | August 29, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jasper | August 29, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jasper | August 29, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jasper | August 29, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I've tried to get into Little Dog Lost, but I haven't. I don't think it's designed to be a typical strip ... it's more of a zen thing about animal behavior. And I don't think it makes it particular well-suited for the comics page. Maybe a graphic novel, if you're into softer themes and subtle explorations of an animal's nature. I like joy and absurdity and most of all laughs when I read comics. Lio, Pearls, Pooch.

Posted by: Jasper | August 29, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jasper | August 29, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Jasper's tried to get into Little Dog Lost, but he hasn't.

Posted by: Tom T. | August 29, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

LOL!!!...

Posted by: this just in | August 29, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Any time the crocs show up on Pearls it makes my day. They have to be the funniest running gag in all comicdom today.

Posted by: ease99 | August 29, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

It is really a shame that you're dropping "For Better or for Worse". I for one would love to go back to the beginning of the strip. The replacement "Little Dog Lost" is inane.

Posted by: C. Torrence | September 1, 2008 8:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand why we can have "Classic Peanuts," a re-run without possibility of change, while we can't have an enhanced-with-added-material re-run of FBOW, with more potential for change.

How many of FBOW readers were there reading it when the strip started 29 years ago, regardless of their current ages? I, too, would like to see the beginning.

Posted by: bip | September 2, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't read Peanuts anymore and probably won't read FBOFW anymore either. I have read it for years and loved it but I wanted the story line to continue. I don't want to read about the beginning when I already know where it's headed. And if she is going to rewrite the beginning with new material then is she really retired? Then couldn't she just continue with the original story?

Posted by: dancermommd | September 3, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Just a quick reminder to anyone mourning the Post's dropping FBorFW from the paper edition - it's still available (for free and in color!) on the WaPo website as well as at www.fborfw.com

Posted by: Gracie287 | September 3, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse