Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 08/11/2008

The E-Mailbag: Now Taking Your Comments (Out of Context)

By Michael Cavna

Time, now, to dip into the e-mailbag...

Thanks for the interview with Stephan Pastis -- "Pearls" is required daily reading! Pig, Rat, Zebra, the crocs -- they're all great. Can't wait to introduce our baby (due in March!) to this wacky animated world.
Glad you enjoyed, and we share your sentiment about the world o' Pig and Rat. Just don't be alarmed if baby's first word is not "Mama" or "Dadda" but rather "Zeeba!"

I am SO waiting for Calvin [to return]. And I do miss that cuddly tiger Hobbes.
Us, too -- but we're resigned to the fact that for creator Bill Watterson, that sled has sailed. In a post later this week, we'll get downright geeky about the strip, and why we think there'll never be another quite like it.

I'll definitely agree with ... one of your other readers (mailrjk), who correctly offered that "Cul de Sac" is by FAR the best refuge out there right now for those seeking a sprinkle of the same brilliance that made "Calvin & Hobbes" such a wonderful, once-a-day treat.
We're unabashed fans of "Cul de Sac," which we followed with delight long prior to its syndication, while it was birthed in The Post's own pages. Its creator, Richard Thompson, tells us in a recent e-mail, in fact, that Watterson wrote the foreword for the upcoming "Cul de Sac" book.

"Calvin" was magical. "Cul du Sac" is magical.
You, this blog and Watterson are all in complete accord. Which leaves Thompson with only one simple role in all this: Take a bow, Richard.

You really out-did "Frank and Ernest," and besides, no self-respecting donkey would tolerate being called a mule -- I think they missed the boat on this one -- two different types of equines!
Exactamente. And somehow, we the reader are left to feel like the horse's rear-end in all this, for wasting our six-to-ten seconds on it.

Are you suggesting that comic strip fans have a juvenile sense of humor?
Heavens no. We would never presume your degree of juvenility. All we suggest is that we ourselves can be solipsistically sophomoric. Or sophomorically solipsistic. Whichevs.

Political cartooning has been an art ever since Ben Franklin fired up his printing press and it is historically, one of the greatest means to contribute to the nation's dialogue.
Well-stated, dear reader -- and you, of course, are preaching to the ink-stained choir. And we are reminded of our recent interview with oft-political comic Lewis Black, who said: "Growing up in Washington, Herblock was my Jesus Christ."

Not to be too much of an airplane geek, but Scott Stantis makes a technical error in ["Prickly City"]: "China Airlines" actually is from the free and democratic nation of Taiwan. "Air China" is the flag carrier of the People's Republic.
This -- this -- is why we always rely on our readers' collective wisdom. We shall alert the authorities! In this case, the strip's syndicate. And thanks for flying "Err Stantis."

Now that I know about this conversation you have begun on the Washington Post website, I'll be back all the time.
By all means. No matter the hour, we'll leave a light on for you. And an open "comments" thread...

By Michael Cavna  | August 11, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning Line: The Olympic Bar Is Mighty Uneven
Next: The Morning Line: From John Edwards, Cartoon Lessons Learned

Comments

So, is it too soon to pronounce this blog 'good' or 'bad'? I haven't found that my comics-reading has materially changed. Yeah, I've checked out a couple strips that people mentioned in the comments, but my faves are still the same.

Today's favorite punchline, "Wanna see my new tatoo, Daddy?"

-this Dad's been there...

Posted by: MSchafer | August 11, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I think Mike's doing a good job of not just playing the referential moderator like some of the blogs do ... he's calling out the weak strips and acknowledging the ones he likes. We happen to have similar tastes ... so good for me.

Posted by: Horacio | August 11, 2008 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I think Mike's doing a good job, too, especially in avoiding the snark-fest that comics blogs often become (hello Comics Curmudgeon). I don't need another blog competing to see who can come up with the best snarky pun for Anthony, the detestable groom-to-be & wienie in For Better or For Worse.
(Oops, slipped up, didn't I?)
Keep up the Good Work, Mike.

Posted by: buggit | August 12, 2008 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Once FBOFW comes to an end all those snarky comics blog will come crashing down and die, starved for content.

Posted by: whosis | August 12, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

If you love comics, take a look at what the Baltimore Sun has done--they've jammed all the strips onto one page, sizing seems to be random and they have dropped all continuing storyline strips, plus "Zippy." It is awful! And all done to save a single page of newsprint. Thank god I can still get the Post every day.

Posted by: Jack | August 13, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Just read that Lynne Johnston(sp) of FBOW who WAS retiring due to carpal tunnel is now NOT retiring due to her husband leaving and getting married to someone else. One hopes there is community property in Canada.

Posted by: Dana | August 16, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse