Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 08/22/2008

The E-Mailbag: "The Caption Contest Results Are In, Jeffy...!"

By Michael Cavna

We could not let the Family Circus leave Washington without a proper sendoff. Lacking balloons, bunting, pinwheels, confetti, parade floats or a key-to-the-city, we followed the strip's dotted-line trail to the Monument, where we instead honored them with: a Caption Contest.

Your entries were every bit as silly, snarky and suggestive as we'd hoped. And to judge the civic-minded proceedings, we thought it only right to approach JALINE QUINTO, communications manager and "senior humorist" for DC Vote. (The nonprofit -- which works to secure a vote in Congress for the District -- will be heading to both major-party conventions to spread the message, by the by.)

FAMILY CIRCUS: Readers rise to the challenge. (KFS)

Quinto brought to the task her sense-of-mission, her serious D.C. credentials and her (self-described) wildly inappropriate sense-of-humor -- in other words, absolutely everything we look for in a Guest Judge.

So without further ado, the winning caption was:
"Mommy keeps a monument like this in her top drawer!"
Congratulations, "Jesse Cline." (Judge's comments: "It's a little obvious but it's laugh-out-loud funny.")

Quinto also awarded Honorable Mentions to:
1. "Daddy, is this the 'shaft' that you say we're always getting from the
government?"
-- entered by "Hankster." (Judge's comment: "Nice insight, Jeffy. Way to stay relevant, especially in an election season.")
AND
2. "Daddy I have to go to the bathroom."
-- entered by "Bob Quick." (Comment: "Cute and, well... cute.)

Now, on the new Riffs Caption Contest: With the Democratic National Convention almost upon us, we submit to you a political cartoon by the Newark Star Ledger's talented Drew Sheneman.

Your caption here. Literally. (Newark Star Ledger)
Enlarge Comic

And here's the twist: You can write your surrogate caption to be mouthed by either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Our polls are now open. We invite your submissions.

By Michael Cavna  | August 22, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning Line: The Riffys: These Cartoons Are the Katt's Pajamas
Next: The Morning Line: Finding Political Strips to Nominate

Comments

"Barry, we've talked about this. Not till you're a little bit older"

Posted by: EricS | August 22, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"No, no, I'm doing this for your own good. You know what type of women Bill found when he was drinking. "

Posted by: Mike Rhode | August 22, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, I win the trophy for having the best embroidered name on my business suit.

Posted by: Horacio | August 22, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

When you were in France, did they teach you the term "coup d’état"?

Posted by: Jesse | August 22, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I had my fingers crossed when you thought I'd conceeded the nomination!

Posted by: allenwoodhaven | August 22, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I need it! Coach told me I needed a cup!

Posted by: f2 | August 22, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Next, I will demonstrate the Vulcan Death Grip.

Posted by: f2 | August 22, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Stop wiggling or I put you back in my pocket.

Posted by: f2 | August 22, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

No let's just see what's in this Kool Aid

Posted by: jerk | August 23, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Barack, but if there are two things that you definitely don't deserve, it's the Democratic nomination and this bowling trophy.

Posted by: Seismic-2 | August 26, 2008 6:40 AM | Report abuse

"Talk to the hand Zombie Obama"

Posted by: Minnesota | August 28, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse