Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 09/18/2008

The E-Mailbag: Is Opus the Penguin Playing His Swan Song?

By Michael Cavna

It musn't be easy being Berkeley Breathed's editor these days. What with being peppered by one constant question:

"Hey, is 'Opus' ending soon or what?"

We know that Breathed's editor, Amy Lago, has patiently endured our frequent badgering (see our related post from last month). But still no official word from the cartoonist, she says. "So he's as mum as flightless waterfowl with its beak stuffed with herringburgers?" we inquire. "More like chrysanthemums," Amy good-naturedly replies.

So while Mr. Breathed decides whether he wants to break radio silence, we turn to you: What sort of shenanigans do you think Berkeley's up to in recent weeks.

The betting window is now open. What's your prediction? Whatever the result, we'll pass it along to Breathed's editor next time we ask her the same ol' question.

By Michael Cavna  | September 18, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning Line: Decode Your Own Cartoon Name.
Next: The Morning Line: The Riffys Go "Forth"...

Comments

Opus, in a mad attempt to escape his latest anxiety, will stumble out of his strip and fall into Get Fuzzy. He will then be beaten to death by Bucky who mistook him for a monkey.

Which leads to the question: is "who" the right word? I'd say "beaten by my cat, which mistook him for a monkey". Is sentience the reason we use "who" instead of "which"?

While I'm blathering, I didn't try any strips but I did notice "Obama/Biden" = "an idea bomb". Or "bomb an idea".

Posted by: f2 | September 18, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Certainly room for him in Judge Parker. They could use him as Comic Relief when Sam goes in for a week long haircut....

Posted by: JkR | September 18, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I think he's on his way out, but I'm not as sad as losing new FBoFW. Opus is just terribly wordy, no matter how great it may be.

I'd prefer he change his name to Penguin and move to Pearls... maybe a CPP (Comics Protection Program)

Posted by: Arlington Gay | September 18, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

And now for the Pop Culture Reference Of The Day:

"He's dead, Jim."

Posted by: Daniel J. Drazen | September 19, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Sadly, the clues point to the possibility that Breathed is dying.

Posted by: RFS | September 25, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse