Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 09/ 5/2008

The E-Mailbag: Jim Borgman & This Week's Riffys...

By Michael Cavna

ZITS (KFS)Enlarge Comic

It's time, once again, for this week's Riffy Awards.

Let's go right to the winners:

1. FAVORITE ART:

The supremely gifted Jim Borgman announced this week that this fall, he's going to leave behind being the Cincinnati Enquirer's daily political cartoonist.

For years we've been a fan of his editorial work, and we'll much miss our daily fix. Fortunately, much to our relief, this gifted draftsman will continue to draw "Zits."

An example of his fine linework is today's strip. Bravo, Mr. Borgman -- may the Duncans live on for as long as you enjoy drawing them.

2. FAVORITE PUN: The philandering "Phil Anders" in "Candorville." Had this been the punchline, it wouldn't have had the same, well, punch. But opening with it? Kudos, Mr. Bell.

CANDORVILLE (WPWG) Enlarge Comic

3. FAVORITE BALLOON: From the middle panel in today's "Cul de Sac," Petey speaking of the petrified elf: "It's so self-conscious about its status as a kitsch object that it's immobilized by embarrassment." The tone...the spirit....the rhythmic alliteration. Well-played, Petey. Well-played.

CUL DE SAC (UPS) Enlarge Comic

And a special Riffy for READER COMMENTS. Our recent Lynn Johnston article and Q&A drew a huge number of readers, but our favorite twin comments amid all the reaction were these:

"I'll drop the paper then" -- Bev, responding to the newspaper's decision to drop "For Better or For Worse."
Followed in short order by:
"I'll double my subscription if you drop Peanuts too." -- buggit.

Just further proof than in the land of limited comics space, you can't please everyone. We change the page for better and, sometimes, for worse.

By Michael Cavna  | September 5, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning Line: When Cartoonists Draw the Identical Gag
Next: The Morning Line: "Non Sequitur's" Misbegotten Sex Scandal...

Comments

Posted by: Hemisphire | September 5, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hemisphire | September 5, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

groan

(stoopid blog software can't accept fake tags)

Posted by: Hemisphire | September 5, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Actually, Susan's boyfriend Phil Anders has been a recurring, though occasional, character in Candorville for some time.

Posted by: Phil's Been There Before | September 5, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Yep, thanks, "PBTB" -- we last saw Phil Anders in early July. The new, pun-lovin' Riffys were just waiting, waiting for Phil's eventual return.

Posted by: Michael Cavna | September 5, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

If we're all waiting on something to spark in the new 'Lost Dog', I think someone better put on the kettle. It could be quite the test of endurance.

Also, anyone sitting shiva on the lack of FBOW strips in print?

Posted by: JkR | September 5, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I just wish I could find an RSS feed or email fix or something for FBOFW. I'm no good at remembering to check a website every day.

Posted by: Julia | September 5, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Julia, I'd suggest using Firefox and the "Morning Coffee" add-on; one click and it loads all the websites you might want at once - including each of any number of comics - on any given day(s) you specify.

Posted by: Ollabelle | September 5, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Julia, I use Firefox and have the FBFW page as one of my home pages. When I open Firefox in the morning, it's one of my first pages.

I agree that Little Dog ha done very little for me so far. There must be better comics available.

Posted by: Arlington Gay | September 6, 2008 8:59 AM | Report abuse