Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 09/22/2008

The E-Mailbag: Which Comic Would YOU Drop? Vote Now.

By Michael Cavna

When "Little Dog Lost" replaced "For Better or For Worse" on The Post's print pages this month, many of the hundreds of responses had a common refrain:

The Pattersons' loss was this lost pooch's gain. (WPWG) Enlarge Comic

"If you're going to drop a comic, for Pete's sake, why don't you drop [blank]?!?"
What that "blank" was, of course, varied significantly, as readers suggested more than a dozen strips they'd prefer to see The Post dump like a hot Potato-Head. Which is precisely where we come in.

For the next three days, Comic Riffs will poll you -- the devoted comics reader -- to ask: If The Post were to drop one comic, which should it be? (The fine print: Results are non-binding, though editors will surely be watching.)

For day one, we start with Page One of the comics. Cast your ballot early and often -- and add your comments, too, if there's a strip you'd like to see crack The Post's pages.

By Michael Cavna  | September 22, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning Line: The Power Rankings: 5 Toons We're Attached To
Next: The Morning Line: Garfield's Secret E-Files...

Comments

9 Chickweed Lane.

Posted by: ADD | September 22, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Zippy is w/o a doubt the dumbest comic that has ever been penned. It masquerades as "avant guard" and "edgy" but it is just the mindless, disconnected ramblings of very sick mind. I think the only reason I even look at it is because I keep hoping it will make some small amount of sense, someday. Heck, R.Crumb is a genius compared to "Griffy".
GIT RID OF IT!!!!!

Posted by: ron | September 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Why is Family Circus not a voting option? That's my vote...

Posted by: Eliz. | September 22, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Add Player versus player or schlock mercenary

Posted by: JL | September 22, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Add Player versus player or schlock mercenary

Posted by: JL | September 22, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: david | September 22, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: david | September 22, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: david | September 22, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Tough choices. Not a Ziggy, Judge Parker or Prickly City fan, and Little Dog Lost hasn't grabbed me yet.

@Eliz - Family Circus is on page 3 of the dead tree edition, today's quiz is only for page 1.

Posted by: Hemisphire | September 22, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

instead of dropping comics, which will inevitably cause a backlash from readers why not look for other space in the newspaper to cut. fun and games, how many word searches and jumbles do you need? TV listings? it goes on.. more comics more! oh and why isn't Garfield on the list?

Posted by: david | September 22, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: david | September 22, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: david | September 22, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Add Player versus player or schlock mercenary

Posted by: JL | September 22, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Big Nate isn't on the list; it's the one I'd send to the recycle bin if I were dictator of the Post comics world.

I'd replace it with 9 Chickweed Lane, which I was only recently introduced to, thanks to this blog.

Posted by: Gregg | September 22, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Who the heck is voting against Judge Parker?? America has truly lost it's way...

Agree about Family Circus, why isn't it on the list? It is awful.

That said, on this list, Little Dog Lost has to go. It's uninteresting.

As for Zippy, while not a follower, it's certainly unique, and deserving of space.

Posted by: JkR | September 22, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

David - we get your point

I think Zippy is pretty funny sometimes, but it doesn't deserve 1st page status.

Posted by: Jesse | September 22, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Each and every strip whose creator is dead.

And this includes Family Circus as we all know Bill Keane is secretly a zombie....

Posted by: Tad | September 22, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd drop Beetle Bailey -- out of date, out of touch, and it isn't even funny.

Posted by: NOVA | September 22, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

While Prickly City is by far the least funny of these comics (including Judge Parker), I can't see how the Post can drop it without it adding just a little to the "Liberal Media" charge. With that in mind, I'd say Zippy the Pinhead should go. It's more work than I care to do for a comics page. I can read the rest of the paper if I want to work at something, I look to the comics as a respite. Clever is good, funny is better, avant garde commentary on the bourgeoisie American mentality...meh. I know our souls are hollow caverns of mundane junk, I don't need someone from Remulak to remind me.

Posted by: Fair and Balanced | September 22, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Eliz - Family Circus is not on the list because that's a page 3 strip and these are page 1 strips.

I see there's no doubt about the top 3. After all three pages are voted on, can you do a "drop one from the top 3 from each page" poll?

I voted prik. cit., but I wouldn't complain if Tank or the judge vanished. I'm not a Dog Lost fan, but I'm willing to give it time.

And I too am enjoying the Agnes sequence, but I always like the PbS non-sequence sequences where the day's strip reflects back to something from the previous day or week. Until you see the punch, you don't know it's a sequence.

Pastis seems to be everywhere. Next time a strip is dropped, do you think you can get Pastis to have the duck launch a grenade at the offending strip, destroying it completely?

Posted by: f2 | September 22, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I picked Tank, just because it isn't funny at all, but I could have chosen Judge Parker or Zippy, neither of which I ever read either.

I do keep reading Pirhana Club, even though I have no idea what's going on or why. Same with On the Fastrack. I wonder if that could be seen as a compliment for the cartoonists?

Posted by: Julia | September 22, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I can't see the poll (firewalled), but can I vote for Peanuts anyway? And/or Argyle wossis, if that's an option. (What a terrible waste of space. Voted against it when it was being tried out, but alas, to no avail.)

Not that it matters, I think, in the long run. Webcomics have totally spoiled me for newspaper comics - good-to-jaw-droppingly awsome artists (as opposed to the syndicate favorite "terrible to nearly average" style), with interesting things to say, the ability to say them with humor, and however much space they want to say it in? How can the ever-more-miniaturized printed strips compete? (Even when you limit it to the 3-panel format. Throw in longer-format comics, and... why is Beetle Bailey still around, anyway?)

Posted by: bokodasu | September 22, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I feel as though I should defend Zippy because I also am an elitist. I followed the strip for a while thinking that by being into it, it meant I was striving to be a on a higher plane than others. Even when the words filled up the strip and were very difficult to read, I kept at it thinking I could get the funny some day.

Then I realized the joke was on me the whole time. The strip is the work of a mentally unstable person.

And I am glad no one is voting for Candorville to leave. That is the best comic strip in the papers.

Posted by: Sebastian | September 22, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Clearly JL is voicing his approval of Zippy.

Someone mentioned Nate -- Nate is arguably the most complex of the kids in any of the strips. I think you can sum up Jeremy, Dennis, Red, Agnes, etc in two or three words. Not Nate.

And, going back to the morning, I am also enjoying the latest Nate sequence.

Posted by: f2 | September 22, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

GIT RID OF IT!!!!!

Posted by: ron | September 22, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

sorry for the double post.

Posted by: ron | September 22, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

If I had to name one strip to drop on page 1, it would be "Agnes."

Two? "Agnes" and "Prickly City." Both are unfunny and badly rendered.

Three? "Agnes," "Prickly City," and "Zippy."

Four? "Agnes," "Prickly City," "Zippy," and "Little Dog Lost." I didn't cite "Little Dog Lost" first because I'm willing to give it a bit of time, although I don't understand why the new strip isn't one of those given a tryout the last time "Doonesbury" went on hiatus. I liked "The Knight Life," and it's way better than every one I've mentioned so far.

Posted by: Kelvin | September 22, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Little Dog should **stay** lost. Send him to Gilligan's Island, the Bermuda Triangle, or Brigadoon. There are plenty of vastly more interesting comics on your Web site already that could replace it. I really don't understand why everyone is so negative on Judge Parker. Sure, it's silly and incredibly slow, but it's good for some laughs (at it, not with it, same as the Family Circus), and it features great pin-up art. Right now we are in a murder investigation, where today the police are engaged in the interrogation of bikini-clad exotic dancer "Dixie Julep". You won't see **that** plot line in "Hi & Lois"!

Posted by: Seismic-2 | September 22, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Have to stick up for Zippy here. Last time the Post dumped it...1996?...they brought it back after a torrent of well-articulated complaints. I've been reading the strip for years and really enjoy it. Met Bill Griffith once at a book-signing; not a sick mind at all--a very pleasant gentleman.

Tough job the comics editors have; every comic has its fans. My vote was for Prickly City, which I've stopped reading. I'm skipping Little Dog Lost too, after giving it a try for a couple of weeks. It's nothing special at all.

Can't wait to vote on pages two and three. Classic Peanuts is in for a drubbing.

Posted by: Stickler | September 22, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'm an online reader, so don't want to vote on what goes from the print edition.

Curious, though, what demographic online readers represent vs. print subscribers (who pay part of the freight)? Why would a Post decisionmaker care to hear from me? Do I present some potential revenue stream?

Posted by: MSchafer | September 22, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Replace "Little Dog Lost" with "Housebroken." DJ Dog is a dog for the double-naughts; LDL is just a double zero.

Posted by: Mathlord | September 22, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I was glad to see For Better or For Worse go; its time is done, and the reruns aren't all that great, even if the cartoonist is bringing back the dog Farley. That's no where near adequate compensation for the pain I endured watching Elizabeth settle for Anthony. :)

It was a hard thing to vote for Judge Parker to go, because JP provides so much snarking entertainment. However, it is available online so I don't feel too bad about it. I'd be thrilled to see it replaced with something new and good.

Posted by: Kathy | September 22, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Why do so many people hate Zippy? I love looking at the penwork and reading it every day!
At least the man is putting some strong effort into his work..so much stuff out there today looks like it was drawn with a crayon..No I'm NOT referring to Cul De Sac..that is PURE beauty...I'm referring to stuff more like ..candorville..no offence to it ..but...zzzzzzzzz

Posted by: zippy | September 22, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I love me some Zippy, and I'll fall into a spiral of bleak depression if it's missing from my daily paper.

Posted by: whosis | September 23, 2008 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Pooch Cafe has never made any sense to me. And the artwork is different, but not, to me, in a good way.

Posted by: MattF | September 23, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I wish they'd move Cul de Sac up to the spot where FBOFW was instead of at the bottom of the page. It's by far the best comic in the paper.

Get rid of Red and Rover. No contest.

Posted by: TBG | September 23, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Please don't touch Zippy. Please don't touch Zippy! PLEASE DON'T TOUCH ZIPPY!!!! Also, ignore anyone who hates Agnes or the Piranha Club, because they clearly don't know what they're talking about.

That out of the way, I went with Judge Parker because the way they draw out a story to the point where I forget exactly what it was originally about drives me nuts.

Prickly City comes from an interesting political perspective, and it would be a great counter-balance to liberal strips like Doonesbury and Candorville, but it is so badly drawn as to be nonsensical.

Posted by: Jayelle | September 23, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I think I need to mention that the three pages of comics in the WaPo are a big reason why I subscribe to the print edition, though I live in NYC. There are no dailies with comics here, and I hate that!

Posted by: Jayelle | September 23, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

fr Kathy:

> was glad to see For Better or For Worse go; its time is done, and the reruns aren't all that great, even if the cartoonist is bringing back the dog Farley. That's no where near adequate compensation for the pain I endured watching Elizabeth settle for Anthony. :)<

I've got a suggestion for you. Don't READ it. There. Now, was THAT so hard???

Million of people love FBOFW, I'm one of them. I cried when Farley died, as did many others.

Posted by: Alex | September 23, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Yes, those three pages of comics are one of the several (ok, many) reasons I subscribe. One of the BIG reasons.

Posted by: riotous | September 23, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Nooooo, don't drop Zippy! Reading it makes me scratch my head and wonder what the heck the author is saying, but that's a good thing!

I should have voted for Prickly City, dang it, but voted for Little Dog Lost. What, was the Post trying to find the most inoffensive, innocuous strip available? It's tedious and boring.

And why does the Post run Prickly City strips that are horribly offensive to the Democratic Party and the Clintons, when you censor Doonesbury and other strips for far milder jabs at the R's? Your policy is very lopsided.

Posted by: emb | September 23, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

NO! NO! NO! DON'T DROP JUDGE PARKER!!

Posted by: Tim Amireault | September 25, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Oooh! No fair posting a poll where I ended up having to choose something other than Zippy the Pinhead! But, Little Dog Lost needs to stay that way - that is one lame strip.

If I could pick more than 1, It'd be Zippy and Little Dog Lost.

Posted by: Drew | September 25, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse