Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 09/23/2008

The E-Mailbag: Tell Us Which Comic You'd Like to Drop.

By Michael Cavna

The Readers Have Spoken. Yesterday, you were vocal about which strips you'd like to see spiked from the first page of The Post's print comics.

Now, we ask you to unleash that enthusiasm -- and umbrage -- toward the paper's next page.

All this was precipitated, of course, by your hundreds of responses this month when "Little Dog Lost" replaced "For Better or For Worse" in The Post. Readers suggested more than a dozen strips they'd rather see The Post whack as fast as Fredo in "The Godfather." Which is precisely where we come in.

LITTLE DOG LOST: The Pattersons' loss was this lost pooch's gain. (WPWG)Enlarge Comic

Comic Riffs is polling you -- the devoted comics reader -- to ask: If The Post were to drop one comic, which should it be? (The fine print: Results are non-binding, though editors will surely be watching.)

Today, we turn to Page Two of the comics. Cast your ballot early and often -- and add your comments, too, if there's a strip you'd like to see crack The Post's pages.

By Michael Cavna  | September 23, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning Line: Garfield's Secret E-Files...
Next: The Morning Line: A Warning to "Get Fuzzy"

Comments

Frazz is so cute! The main character always reminds me of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes grown up, and the kids are great. It can get a bit preachy-teachy at times, but that tendency never lasts too long.

Lio has grown on me. I didn't understand or like it at first, but either it's improved or I've gotten used to it. (I suspect it's a bit of both.) I also love Get Fuzzy. It's a wonderful update on Garfield's formula. I'm naming my next male cat "Bucky Katt."

Baldo and Pickles both address demographics that are usually not seen in comic strips and have unique points of view.

So I voted for Beetle Bailey. Boring, and though it's about the army, it isn't even addressing the war.

Posted by: Jayelle | September 23, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Beetle, Beetle, Beetle, a thousand times Beetle.

And I am so glad to see I'm not the only one.

Posted by: Julia | September 23, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

The one strip I would definitely drop on page 2 would be "Get Fuzzy." "Baldo" is good, and the others aren't great but are good enough to pull their own weight. "Get Fuzzy" doesn't cut it.

Posted by: Kelvin | September 23, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

My question is, what would people vote for if Beetle wasn't in the running? I mean, as it is, it's like asking "what do you want for dessert? Choose plain yogurt, an apple, or chocolate ice cream."

Posted by: f2 | September 23, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Kelvin, Get Fuzzy is one of the best new comics of the past decade. You are out of your mind.

Posted by: Jesse | September 23, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I used to love Get Fuzzy, but then it turned stale. Now all it is are just jokes set up for getting crazy antics out of the cat. It used to be better than that. It used to be smarter and funnier.

Still, from this list I would vote on Beetle Bailey to leave. Sherman's Lagoon is a close second. I used to enjoy that comic as well, but then it got too predictable and went for the unfunny obvious jokes (insert Paris Hilton joke here).

Posted by: Sebastian | September 23, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Rhymes with Orange isn't funny or clever; it's just dumb and poorly executed. Dispose of that annoyance and replace it with something else from your Web page. As for Beetle, sure it's dated, but so what? Much humor is timeless.

Posted by: Seismic-2 | September 23, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

The problem with the newspapers' comics page will not be solved by dumping one comic every year or so. Editors are more interested in not offending any being on the planet than they are in attracting countless potential readers. Mediocrity rules the comics page.

Thanks to the internet I can read every syndicated comic and thousands of webcomics. I no longer am limited to what comics I can enjoy by an editor who selects a small sample based on how little attention he has to pay to the page.

Posted by: michael | September 23, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I can't argue with dropping Beetle Bailey, but I voted to drop Close To Home. The jokes are awkward, and the artwork is so consistently bad that it's often difficult to tell what's happening in the strip.

I think a basic requirement of a comic strip in a major paper should be legible drawing. Close To Home is one of a million "Far Side" ripoffs out there; why not switch to another one?

I think one reason it's getting so few votes is because a lot of people ignore it to the point of not knowing its name.

Posted by: Tom T. | September 24, 2008 6:52 AM | Report abuse

I can't vote for Beetle Bailey - I just can't. And unlike Peanuts, Mort Walker's still alive!

Rhymes with Orange, however, has never done it for me.

Posted by: Drew | September 25, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Please get rid of Little Lost Dog. It's a real dog of a comic strip. It's not funny and it's boring!

Posted by: Florence Naeve | September 28, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse