Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 09/24/2008

The E-Mailbag: Which Comic Would You Drop? Act Now.

By Michael Cavna

As the singer Meat Loaf -- or was it Yogi Berra? -- once said, "Two out of three ain't bad."

So far this week, you've rendered judgment on two of The Post's three comics pages, telling us which strips you'd like to see spiked. Now we ask you to cast a jaundiced eye -- and vent your spleen -- toward the last page of printed funnies.

The Pattersons' loss was this lost pooch's gain. (WPWG) Enlarge Comic

All this was preceded, of course, by your hundreds of responses this month when "Little Dog Lost" replaced "For Better or For Worse" in The Post. Readers suggested more than a dozen strips they'd rather see The Post kiss goodbye like Ingrid Bergman on a foggy tarmac. Which is precisely where we come in.

Comic Riffs is polling you -- the devoted comics reader -- to ask: If The Post were to drop one comic, which should it be? (The fine print: Results are non-binding, though editors will surely be watching.)

Today, as we turn to Page Three, we ask you to cast your ballot early and often -- and add your comments, too, if there's a strip you'd like to see crack The Post's pages.

THE PAGE THREE POLL:

By Michael Cavna  | September 24, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  The E-Mailbag
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Morning Line: A Warning to "Get Fuzzy"
Next: The Morning Line: Today's Comics, "Sponsored" by Target.

Comments

A few months ago I totally would have voted for Family Circus (and I still don't read it) BUT, when my 3 year old wanted to read the comics with me one Sunday it was the perfect way to introduce him to the funny pages--age appropriate and he got the joke. Bucky cat and the PBS crew aren't really going to work when reading with little ones, as much as l love them.

Posted by: kdh | September 24, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Sorry Sparky, classic Peanuts has to go.

Posted by: Jesse | September 24, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

So many comics, so few votes. Circus, Spiderman, Trail, (keep Garfield; my youngest kid loves him), Dennis....

But I vote Red off the island.

Posted by: f2 | September 24, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Family Circus makes me want to punch every little kid I encounter on the street.

Posted by: Sebastian | September 24, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

So many excellent candidates for the chopping block on page 3! I fail to discern any humor or anything else in either "Mutts" or "Red & Rover" - for my money, they and Little Dog Lost can all be put to sleep. The biggest waste of space, however, is Classic Peanuts. For one thing, the era chosen for these strips is **not** classic Peanuts; they are from the Snoopy and Woodstock era when the strip had really already died, years before its creator. If anyone cares about seeing them again (why?), they are available almost everywhere in reprint. Use the slot for something else.

Posted by: Seismic-2 | September 24, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Definitely too many good candidates for the chopping block on page 3.

Additions? I like Jump Start, for one.

Posted by: Julia | September 24, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Classic Peanuts, definitely - and anything on any other page for which the original author's dead and fresh strips (a term I use loosely) aren't being created.

Posted by: wombatua | September 24, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The third page is definitely the weakest. If I could five, then I'd say Peanuts, Family Circus (the two worst!), Red and Rover, Dennis the Menace, and Garfield. Then toss in Blondie and Hagar the Horrible, just to free up a bit more space.

Maybe those strips that appeal primarily to the 6 to 10 year olds can be part of KidsPost. Then maybe the kids will pay for their own subscriptions. And stay off of my lawn.

Posted by: emb | September 24, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't dump the Judge. Judge Parker is the last of the serials on the Post's comics pages. Please keep it.

Posted by: Gregg Sellers | September 25, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

It looks like a lot of people feel the way I do about page 3: this is where the comics page goes to die. My vote goes to Red and Rover (rarely funny, and caught in some wierd time warp (is this supposed to be the 60's, 70's or today?), but Classic Peanuts (I echo Seismic's comments) could also go. Garfield and Family Circus jumped the cartoon shark years ago, but they are still very popular among young kids (emb's idea of moving them to the Kids Post is intriguing). Replacements? Well, from the ones on WashPost's website, 9 Chickweed Lane, Over the Hedge, Six Chix, Stone Soup, and Off the Mark would all be fine additions.

Posted by: howiehunt | September 25, 2008 7:57 AM | Report abuse

I would keep Classic Peanuts because it continues to appeal to new generations of readers as it cycles through.

Although Garfield is not a favorite of mine, parents tell me that their young children love this strip, especially the superiority of the cat (child) over the people (parent).

Moving the family-oriented strips to Kids Post might, indeed, be a good solution...but isn't the third page rather like a "family page" now, with family- or child-friendly strips collected there? Think of Dad and Mom sitting with the child on lap at day's end looking together at the pictures and reading the words of the third-page comics. A quality-time experience not so easy to replicate with the online version. And I prefer that solution overall--especially as I am still a child at heart who enjoys the child-oriented strips as much as the adult-oriented ones.

Maybe what the third page needs is a special "family" banner or heading to designate it as such, similar to the one for the Kids Post page.

Posted by: Zero | September 25, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

I also want Classic Peanuts to go, but I chose "On the Fastrack" because it is simply an unfunny waste of space.

I hate "Family Circus" and "Dennis the Menace," but they are gentle and kid-friendly. Not everyone needs or wants edgy. The "Mutts" animals are safe from my hypothetical red pen because, well, they're cute.

At 34 and child-free, I love "Brewster Rockit" and kinda like "Big Nate." "Garfield" has actually improved since Jon got a girlfriend and their household got a computer--someone's gotten their creative groove back!

Posted by: Jayelle | September 25, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I submit that "Over the Hedge" and "Jump Start" might be welcome replacements for the strips we dislike.

Posted by: Jayelle | September 25, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh man, where to start?

Peanuts really needs to make room for someone new. Red and Rover makes me want to fall asleep where I stand. I want to snap-kick every kid on the Family Circus right in the temple! Frank and Ernest? Argh!

With a couple of exceptions (Brewster), it's pretty obvious page three is for old people, little kids, and the kind of people who decorate their homes with pictures of kittens.

Posted by: Drew | September 25, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Oh, for an "add", check out Heart of the City. I love it.

Posted by: Jesse | September 25, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Somehow Brewster Rockit is made even funnier by it's inclusion on the kiddie page.

Posted by: whosis | September 25, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Why such a short list of potential dumps? I'd begin with the lamest strip of them all: Mother Goose and Grimm. Nothing but one stupid pun after another, never anything that's the slightest bit fresh or original.

Replacements? Try getting in touch with the syndicate that holds the rights to a 100 year old strip that blows any of today's out of the water: "Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend," a hallucinatory Sunday feature about a series of nightmares caused by eating too much Welsh Rarebit, e.g. a bewhiskered old geezer tries to walk across Broadway, and by the time he gets to the other side (and wakes up) a combination of trolleys and horses have knocked off an arm and a leg, and have his head wrapped in bandgages---all the while shaking his cane and cursing the trolleys and the horses. Winsor McCay was better known for "Little Nemo," but this strip is actually far edgier and much funnier. Check out

Posted by: Andy | September 28, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse