Posted at 6:00 AM ET, 09/26/2008

The Morning Line: "Forth" vs. "Parker": Which Brings the (Sexual) Heat?

By Michael Cavna

Ahhh, can you smell it? The whiff of sexual tension grows so thick in "Sally Forth," you can cut it with a knife. (Perhaps even Glenn Close's cutlery of choice in "Fatal Attraction.")

Sometimes no words are needed. (KFS) Enlarge Comic

We noted last week that the plot had gotten juicier, but we never thought this story of geeky "flirtation" would get this rich. ("Starfighter" fans, "unite"!) Mr. Marciuliano is having some serious fun with us, as Ted and Aria do full-contact crossword puzzles together, and things build...build....build to her offering her implement to Ted.

Are we reading "Sally Forth" or "Mary Worth" here?

Likewise, things are really heating up in "Judge Parker," where the cartoonists -- courtesy of Dixie Julep -- indulge in more Acts of Gratuitous Flesh.

The real mystery is: Where are all Dixie's togs? (NAS) Enlarge Comic

In our many years of funnypage comic stripping, as it were, we don't recall any character ever actually identifying him or herself as an exotic dancer before. (The secret life of Gil Thorp?) And if you can, please, send us a line.

So our question of the day is: Which strip is higher on the sexual heat index these days -- "Sally Forth" or "Judge Parker." You got thoughts? Fire away.

Now, moving along expeditiously to the RIFFY AWARDS: Many of the responses to this week's "Drop a Comic" polling were so inspired and passionate, Comic Riffs is turning over this week's Riffys to highlight a handful of reader comments -- award-winning, all. To wit (in no particular order):

1. "With a couple of exceptions (Brewster), it's pretty obvious page three is for old people, little kids, and the kind of people who decorate their homes with pictures of kittens."
[Posted by: Drew]

2. "Maybe those strips that appeal primarily to the 6 to 10 year olds can be part of KidsPost. Then maybe the kids will pay for their own subscriptions. And stay off of my lawn."
[Posted by: emb]

3. "Beetle, Beetle, Beetle, a thousand times Beetle.
And I am so glad to see I'm not the only one [who wants to see it go]."
[Posted by: Julia]

4. "Who the heck is voting against Judge Parker?? America has truly lost its way..."
[Posted by: JkR]

5. "I look to the comics as a respite. Clever is good, funny is better, avant garde commentary on the bourgeoisie American mentality...meh. I know our souls are hollow caverns of mundane junk, I don't need someone from Remulak to remind me."
[Posted by: Fair and Balanced]

NEXT WEEK: We'll stage the polling showdown among this week's top vote-getters -- which Post print comic do readers most want to see get the heave-ho?

By Michael Cavna  | September 26, 2008; 6:00 AM ET
Categories:  The Morning Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Interview: Comic-Book Writer Grant Morrison
Next: The Riff: Who's the Online Comics "Editor"? YOU Are.

Comments

I say Sally Forth. A bit more subtle, and admirably geeky. Dixie is rather....brash and oddly missing any actual clevage lines.

Posted by: EricS | September 26, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Defintely Judge Parker. Eduardo Barreto, the artist, is da bomb.

I hope the Post doesn't do anything stupid, like take the Judge out of the dead tree edition.

Posted by: DaveR | September 26, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

'Sally Forth' and (sexual) heat?? ewww...

Det. Heidi Roberts is walking heat. Although I think Sam Driver has dozed off as we enter day 5 of 15 minute interrogation...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 26, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Poor Ted, I thought he showed promise with the Sci-Fi background, but CROSSWORD PUZZLES! Eeww, how bookish. Aria may be a MENSA member, but please not Ted!

:-)

Posted by: MSchafer | September 26, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, I feel Sally Forth is a tease. Sally Forth is a funny comic, unlike the Judge, and may not go much further than what it is now. It will keep it safe.

Though how funny would it to see Sally walking in on Ted and Aria in the bedroom waving around light sabers and speaking Klingon? Ooohhh!!! HOT!!!

Posted by: Sebastian | September 26, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Judge Parker hot? Have you ever seen Sam in action? Me neither. So it has to be Sally Forth. Why does the last few days of Sally Forth make me think of the When Harry Met Sally diner scene?

Oh, Monty has featured a stripper character in a couple of different story lines in the past. The character was more interesting than any character in the current version of Monty.

Posted by: michael | September 26, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Let me reconsider my last post. There may be hope for Judge Parker. Ted and Aria most likely will end up playing D&D, while Sam watches the cop interrogation of the stripper turn rough.

Posted by: michael | September 26, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse